[X-PLANE] VATSIM arrival to EGKK

Flight Simulator X, Prepare3D, X-Plane,...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Miki

[X-PLANE] VATSIM arrival to EGKK

Post by Miki » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:08 am

Hi chaps,

A short video made during a trip from Liège to Gatwick. ATC by VATSIM. My second flight using it.

Thaine

Re: [X-PLANE] VATSIM arrival to EGKK

Post by Thaine » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:48 pm

What client do you use?
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Miki

Post by Miki » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Thaine wrote:What client do you use?
xSquawkBox, the only available for XP, I guess.

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:51 pm

I've clearly been out of the Civ Sim scene for a long time. I thought the ATC provided through VATSIM was excellent.

Maltloaf
Location: Salisbury Plain, birthplace of British military aviation.

Post by Maltloaf » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:27 pm

Miki,

A VATSIM question for you. What is the protocol for turning up at an airfield where there is no APP/TWR/GND etc but maybe someone in CTR. Do you make blind calls? If so on what frq? Will others coming into that airport be listerning on TWR?

The reason I ask is I always seem to join just as ATC closes down or is just not there (need to change my soap maybe). For instance I flew from Fort Worth to St Louis tonight. Fort Worth CTR were in but nobody in the tower. Just as I was going to ask CTR for clearance and start up they went off. I taxied and took off anyway. There was no one at St Louis so I just made blind calls on approach.
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Miki

Post by Miki » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:18 am

Hi Maltloaf,

If you don't have an ATC on the airport, you need to be on UNICOM frequency, 122.8. This is a text only (you can talk, but it's not to be use). Give informations about your taxy, you lineup, take-off etc... And , each time, write where you are. Like this "EGKK tfc: Inbound ILS26L, descending to 3000ft". Your callsign will be added automatically at the beginning.

After that, if you have a specific ATC, let's say LONDON CTL, after your departure of EGKK, you'll be asked to contact him, by text. Switch the freq and continue with him by voice or text.

Two good tools are "show who's near" or something like that in the plugin menu, and http://www.vattastic.com/.

Maltloaf

Post by Maltloaf » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:37 pm

OK, wow, I had no idea about that. I have been using Vat Spy to see who is on etc, but had no idea about using 122.8 and text. Is there more on this somewhere?
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Miki

Post by Miki » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:06 pm

You should look for beginner guides for VATSIM.
https://www.vatsim.net/pilot-resource-c ... uawk-codes

Some good videos here : http://aviationpro.nl/vatsim/faq/commun ... is-unicom/ (check down)

Or if you want, ping me on STEAM do to some, in formation or in the same cockpit (smartcopilot freeware demo can let you follow a flight).

Maltloaf

Post by Maltloaf » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:09 pm

Thanks Miki,

I may take you up on a shared cockpit. I am a qualified PPL so understand ATC fairly well even IFR a fair bit but my problem was a VATSIM one, ie all their info, videos and documents seems to assume ATC is manned when in fact it is rarely manned. My problem was how to deal with flying around airspace randomly covered by bits of ATC rather than what to do when ATC is there. If that makes sense.