1/48 Eduard Hawker Tempest

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

1/48 Eduard Hawker Tempest

Post by Secu » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:38 pm

Hi all

This is the Eduard 1/48 Tempest, a very nice kit. I did it as the NV994 the 1st Costermann's JF-E and the only one who have known combat with this code.
This plane was affected to No3 squadron in April 45, and Clostermann took it on the 14th of this month.
Some famous pictures were taken the 18th April
On these pics we can see that the E was pretty clean while the JF was dirty. Maybe the single letter was paint after, and no more than 4 days before the pictures.
The 20th Cloclo scored his two last aerial victories with this plane, and belly landed after he was damaged by flak.
After V day this plane had his nose painted in red and the victory marks were added "to show off" as Clostermann himself said.

One of the 18th april pic
I tried to make my model look like the photo with the E cleaner than the JF. This was a pretty new machine so except for the exhaust stains I applied only a little weathering.

Cheers
Secu :B:

Dubsy
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Staff

Re: 1/48 Eduard Hawker Tempest

Post by Dubsy » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:34 pm

Wonderful, very interesting stuff about how the condition of the aircraft changed over time. I had no idea the red spinner etc were postwar additions. That photo is awesome too
"I am going to have these ships delivered on time and if you fail me your houses will be made a dunghill and your wives liquidated"
- Jackie Fisher, 1914

ArcEye
Leutnant
Leutnant
contributor

Post by ArcEye » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:12 pm

lovely work as always Secu. Really like the exhaust staining.

Saintt
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Saintt » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:56 am

very nice work. what happens with the mounting stirrup? does it fold away for flight or detach and then get stowed onboard? nice detail.