Wargaming miniatures, anyone?

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Kondor

Wargaming miniatures, anyone?

Post by Kondor » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:23 am

Secu, bring on your stuff! I saw a pic of your Flames of War army somewhere on the forum.
Here's a couple of my Bolt Action minis:

BOINK!!

2 inch mortar team

Sargeant

Family photo with 1st Lt

Bren team is assembled and primed, pending painting. The same goes for Fallschirmjager 81mm mortar team.

Here are some WHFB Empire chaps:
Arty

Army's standard bearer

Infantry command group
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6

LuftAsher

Re: Wargaming miniatures, anyone?

Post by LuftAsher » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:04 pm

I've been working with miniatures lately too, hoping to get into the wargame Crossfire. Not with nearly the same artistry and skill you have, Kondor. But here's my piss-poor attempt:

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Yees, I'm a miniatures wargamer too, I wil take photos of mine asap.

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:23 am

Luft, use some coat of wash/ ink on your miniatures. The wash/ ink will gather in creases and folds, picking up all the elevated surfaces and creating kind of shading. You will see how much definition will they get, how great will they look ;)
With time, when you feel comfortable with washing, try using a drybrush technique- it will ad even more highlighting.
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, He will not fail you or forsake you."

Sprite

Post by Sprite » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:59 am

pre-shading works wonders as well. Not bad at all what youve got there, Luft. Slight adjustments and applying new techniques will make improvements each time. I used to hand brush all my kits, just recently switched to airbrushing... oh man is it a whole new world of shit i have to learn

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:17 am

Up until now I used to paint human- like miniatures in 99%, but since I'm into Bolt Action now, I will have to slap some paint on armored vehicles and arty pieces as well. It would be pain in the ass to do it by brush, so I need to finally get my hands on some proper airbrush/ compressor set.. H&S Ultra would be my pick, not sure about the compressor, though. Which one do you use, Sprite?

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:58 am

Kondor, are you talking about mixing some kind of clear varnish with just regular pen ink? I reckon I'll have to give this a go.

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:36 am

I used to be into Wargaming and still have some of my miniatures knocking around somewhere. I'll have to dig them out and take some photos.

Nev

Post by Nev » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:34 pm

Luft think he means a dedicated miniature wash. Have a look at the games workshop washes. You use them for creating shadows in the creases. :nice:

Always above, seldom on the same level, never underneath.

- Edward Mannock 73 victories

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:43 pm

LuftAsher wrote:Kondor, are you talking about mixing some kind of clear varnish with just regular pen ink? I reckon I'll have to give this a go.
I don't know what kind of paints did you use, but if they were acrylics, you may do the following: get some dark brown paint, dilute it heavily with water (1 part paint on 3 to 4 parts of water) and apply it by brush on the miniatures. That's inexpensive version, but you would have to experiment a bit with proportions of paint to water that would suit you best.
Or, you can buy commercial ink or wash: Army Painter's, Vallejo's or Games Workshop's if you want to pay more for less :D
I'd recommend to get some brownish flesh wash/ ink for shading skin on minis and some black wash/ ink for using it on vehicles and weapons.

Make yourself a mug of coffee or get a beer and watch this short video:

It should get you informed on what are washers and inks and how to use them.
:salute: