Work in Progress

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Re: Work in Progress

Post by Tex » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:51 pm

I actually still have a bottle of the now discontinued AeroMaster raf colors. They are probably ten years or older and still good. Which is exceedingly rare. They are acrylic and water based. They had a set designed just for Raf and had the best interior green color I've seen. So, this iis of absolutely no help to you. Sorry.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:12 am

Oh well, I guess I will pour some Tamiya Olive Green and mix it with a bit of Gunze's Hemp or Tamiya Sky then. Let's see where it would take me.
Thanks anyway!
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:16 am

I do a personal mix with an old GW goblin green and some grey and green for the interior. For RAF camo I use mainly Gunze acrylics.

Usefull link:
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorchart ... rts_uk.htm

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:00 pm

Ok, I mixed Olive Green with Sky in roughly 60:40 proportions and the result is more or less like this:
http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=34227.
I guess it's acceptable.

Gunze paints... Ahh, I remember how skeptical I was about them not so long ago.. "Expensive (considering the 10ml jar), smelly, blah blah blah. I will stick to Vallejo no matter what, even for airbrush!!" Now, when I tried them, I can't even imagine basic spray work (not to mention intricate camo patterns, delicate transitions between colors, which I still need to master) without them or Tamiya acrylics. No nozzle clogging, no paint splattering, no nothing. Pure joy of airbrushing!
And Vallejos are for standard brushing and in that area they really shine.
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:50 pm

IMG_9073.JPG
IMG_9070 (2).JPG
Kondor, I was travelling yesterday and did not have a chance to really respond. I've included photos of the paints. You can see the color they went with and I think it looks the part. That said, I've mixed some Tamiya paints in the past and got a fair result. I think I used the formula they gave in the Spitfire kit. I will look it up and let you know. I'm not sure I kept track of what I mixed though, it has been awhile.

The Hurricane's decals are on and I'm weathering it up. This is the most fun second to pulling off the final masking tape and getting that first look at the final steps.
Broadie wanted a well-worn machine and given its been through 25 missions I think it has to have some bumps and bruises on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:52 pm

the paint pictures did not come through.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Amazing stuff Tex, she's looking beautiful :nice:
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:18 pm

Kondor wrote:Getting serious, though: Tex, Secu, Bonkin, what paint would you use for RAF planes interior? I know Gunze (or Mr. Hobby) has its C364, but it's sold only in a set along with paints that I don't need. If you have a recipe for mixing similar shade- I would be grateful for sharing.
Not sure but I don't think Tamiya's Cockpit Green is quite right. Last year I was fortunate enough to sit in HAC's Hurricane. The pictures below may help with colour mixing:

Awesome work Tex. I love the weathering you've applied.

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:02 pm

Wheels on and some more weathering done. Getting close. Still have to finish the exhausts and a few other detail parts. The weathering has been a lot of fun. I used several methods which I have never done together. Oh, and I did not put nice metal chips on the props, having now learned that the Rotol prop was made of wood. May have to fix my earlier effort on another model.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:33 pm

Amazing! You've really captured my inner essence - you should call it 'Hurricane Pilot Gets His Leg Over' :D
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.