Treble One's Hurricane Mk I, Fall Gelb ACG Campaign

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Kondor

Treble One's Hurricane Mk I, Fall Gelb ACG Campaign

Post by Kondor » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:42 pm

This idea was sticking with me for some time now and having seen excellent work by Tex on his Hurri, I decided to do something similar.
Here's the build of Hawker Hurricane Mk I fighter flying with No.111 (Fighter) Squadron during Air Combat Group's Fall Gelb Campaign.
The kit is Airfix 1:72 Hurricane, new tooling. Excellent thing, to be honest. It comes together like Lego bricks, very little putty is required. Details are very crisp as well. And all that for little more than 20 PLN which is, roughly, 4 GBP or 5 USD.
I was quite surprised to see almost nobody does decals for Treble One. Yeah, I could have ordered it to be custom made for me, however such an operation would cost me twice as much as I paid for kit itself. I decided to use Airfix' roundels and general stencils and paint squadron markings using masks I printed cut out using fonts provided by Teepee (thanks again for all the help!). Let's see if it comes out looking nice or if the model is going to need a bath in paint remover :D
The Hurri I'm building is a part of larger modelling project, but details are going to be revealed sometime in the future.
Anyway, let's get the party started!
Sorry for lame quality of pictures, my camera does not want to cooperate with me.

The floor and the more interesting side of cockpit interior. The color is 60% Tamiya Sky mixed with 40% Tamiya Olive Green. Dashboard, levers and all the colored bits of the cockpit are painted with proper Vallejo Model Color paints. Wash is 1 part Vallejo Game Color Black ink thinned down with 5 parts of tap water.

Aircraft put together in 80% with masked windshield attached. Wheel wells painted with Gunze C08 Silver. Great metalizer.
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6

Kondor

Re: Treble One's Hurricane Mk I, Fall Gelb ACG Campaign

Post by Kondor » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:15 pm

Quick update.
The Hurri has the underside painted in black and white and topside in type A camo:

Additionally, some other parts are assembled and painted as well. The prop tells on the spot whose the Hurricane will be:

You got it! So, Gents, meet 1/72 scale Teepee!

And here are masks of markings printed out on sticker paper sheet. Masks will be cut out with hobby knife (fresh blade so its sharp as hell) and applied to sides of plane so the letters can be airbrushed. once that's done, decals will be set.

P.S.: if anybody is interested, paints used are Tamiya flat white and flat and black, Gunze dark earth and dark green.
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, He will not fail you or forsake you."

Sprite

Post by Sprite » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:09 pm

looks great! camo came out really nice! One thing to try next time would be pre-shading (or you can still do some post-shading washes as well)

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:13 pm

I love it, verry good job congratulation.

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:38 pm

"Dad, can I help you with that masking tape? Pleeeease.."
"Sure, lad! Here you go, but don't overdo it, ok? Just a bit around the mask."
"Ok, dad!"

15 minutes later, when I finished my lunch:

Well, at least now I'm sure I will not have any overspray on wings or tail...
:D

Thanks for your comments, Sprite and Secu.
I will try to do some postshading, however I need to actually figure out what exactly I want to have and how exactly I want to achieve it ;)

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:02 pm

JU-M is assembled in 95% (tailwheel and antenna mast missing as well as canopy and exhaust pipes) and 100% painted. Decals are already there and coat of satin varnish is applied.
I have to say the idea of applying 'JU M' markings using mask made of sticker sheet went out better than expected, however one has to remember to mask, airbrush and remove the sticker as soon as possible, preferably within 3-4 hours, otherwise the adhesive from sticker will mess up the paint job a bit and painstaking removal of glue marks will be needed.
Decals required quite a bit of setter and sol fluid to make them sink in properly.
Now it's the time for adding some definition by applying the shadows in the receses between panels and such. Then, the work that frightens me most: weathering..
Any comments and suggestions will be welcome and greatly appreciated.

Sprite

Post by Sprite » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:46 pm

looks fantastic! Well done!

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:36 pm

I knew something was bound to fuck up big time. Windshield. The masking apparently lifted a bit during paiting and the overspray of undercoat and Dark Green was visible on it. I managed to wipe it off slightly using Tamiya X-20A thinner, but traces are still to be seen.
Canopy. It snapped in half when I tried to fit it in the "hunch" behing the armor plate.
Gawddammitt!!
New canopy is ordered as well as the Tamiya Clear Green paint to finish the right nav light on the wing. Pilot's mini is WIP at the moment, so I still have some time. Hopefully the ordered spare will arrive on time.
Anyway, here are some pics of how the JU M looks like after applying the weathering. Hope it looks acceptable for aircraft, it was the first time I did that on the scale plane.

Grumpy
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Adjutant

Post by Grumpy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:00 am

Excellent work, Kondor. I'm very impressed :salute:

One thing, though - you got the spinner color wrong: should be red! :D
Adjutant, No. 111 (Fighter) Squadron. Adstantes

Nor law nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds.