Until the next 25th mission

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Until the next 25th mission

Post by Tex » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:41 pm

IMG_9634.JPG
IMG_9637.JPG
IMG_9643.JPG
With Broadie's Hurricane finished, I have turned to other projects to occupy my time until the next pilot survives his 25th mission. I had picked up the Airfix Defiant when I placed an order for the Hurricanes. I always liked the strange plane. The kit is nice and I have tried to build it out of the box for a change. I intend to weather it up pretty extensively as I enjoyed the process with Broadsword's mount.
While building it, I had to wonder what they were thinking exactly when the design came out. Four .303 in a turret with no forward firing guns? I get that the Bristol fighter was a success in WW1 but really? With the Hurricane mounting more guns, I fail to see the logic.
The Sherman I finished as a gift for a friend.
Points if you can guess what aircraft the cockpit in progress is for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Sharpe

Re: Until the next 25th mission

Post by Sharpe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:39 pm

Stuka cockpit?

Nice Sheman btw :nice:
Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel - to the last beat of the heart.

Biggs

Post by Biggs » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:28 am

very nice work Tex!

Hawkeye
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:09 am

That Sherman is absolutely fantastic. Love the rust lines from the TC hatch down to the turret ring.

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:37 am

Sharpe has "sharp" eyes. Stuka build is also in progress.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:05 am

God damn, I love that Sherman! Is it from African AO? Or early Italy?
I remember how many hours of research I put just to find the answer to question what exactly is the color of dark patches on that type of camo.. :) Is it green- ish? Is it blue-ish? And there was as many opinions as people voicing them :) So I decided to make them green with blue tint and it worked pretty well.

Have to admit it is good to see so many talented model makers around in ACG. Keeps me inspired and motivated to push one step further with each polystyrene toy I glue together and paint.
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Kondor, the Sherman is supposed to be a tank from the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry during the battle to retake El Alamein. The instructions helpfully list the color you referenced as either field grey or red brown. So there is definitely room for interpretation. I ended up using an RAF color surmising that it looked close enough and would be a paint that they would have had access to. Who knows if it is correct? But, I liked the look of it.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:11 pm

Once again I love it, check your MP, may be to laate but I send you a usefull doc.

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:20 pm

Secu, that publication is awesome. I now am tempted to go back and do a bit of detailing. Specifically, there seems to be more going on under the canopy immediately behind the pilot. I hate to say it, but it is these little details that I enjoy adding the most. Even if I do not understand fully what they are for. Thanks for this!
Tex
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:40 pm

I don't know how you get the time Tex, but these are great! Looking forward to the Defiant in particular :nice:

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams