Albion Refueler

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Re: Albion Refueler

Post by Secu » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:50 am

Verry nice, I love your work.
More research indicates that I probably got the wrong color for the "brown" shade
As I said at the moment I'm interrested in 1/72 tanks models. I did some researches about British colours and I already found 4 shades of green depending of the period and it's only for european theater.
It's like english measurement unit, I think this is a kind of sadism to torture all non British people :D

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:04 am

Lol. You got me curious Secu, as to what you French had before metric took over your lives. What I discovered I suspect answers an awful lot - why you changed, and why we struggled to!

Before the French Revolution, it was thought France had seven or eight hundred different names for various units of measurement, and these measurements varied from trade to trade and town to town! For example, one lieue (league) was 3.268km in Beauce, whereas in Provence it was 5.849km! It's a little known fact that the French Revolution actually began on the banks of the Allier, where the Provencal team took such a mighty offence at the 30th consecutive win by the Beauce team, that a scuffle broke out over the fact the Beauce finishing line was actually several kilometers up stream from the Provence line!

However, on the other side of what the British like to call "The English Channel" - ie the channel of water that belongs to England, and the French like to call "La Manche" - ie the Sleeve (that's the romantic brain for you) the <cough> mighty <cough> British empire had told its subjects via the scribble that is Magna Carta, that "there shall be one unit of measure throughout the realm", and the British plebs, doing as they always tend to do, rolled over on their backs and said to their betters (lords, dukes, landlords, anyone who could spell) 'okey dokey'. So we were quite happy with our one simple system, in comparison to the nightmare of units happening on the other side of The Sleeve.

And all was well with the world until the French removed their pied du roi from their derriere (and their measuring system to boot) and foisted the metric system not only upon themselves, but most of the old Holy Roman Empire, which was happily crumbling away and calling itself Austria and Germany once the subsidence subsided. The trickle down effect reached the British Isles some 160-odd years later and we were finally forced to add some millimeters to the opposite side of our inch-marked school rulers (no sense wasting empty space eh?) and adding some tiny alternative numbers under the mph measurements on our car speedometers which we use to give us a grin when driving on the continent 'doing a ton' when really we're only doing 62.1371 mph. "Look kids - daddy's doing a ton!"

I do need to point out that the ton mentioned above is the old colloquial 'ton', vaguely related to 'tun' - a big measurement of beer, rather than the metric tonne. Beer wins every time - it's the universal constant :B:

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:27 pm

France had seven or eight hundred different names for various units of measurement
And that's why we did the revolution, the poor people preferring to be exploited in meter by the bourgeois rather than in league by the aristocrats.
But as a plane fanatic and a member of our great squadron, I oftenly use Kts and Ft, even more than Km/h because I don't drive every day.
And of course my favourite one : The pint :B: wich is one of the greatest English contribution to mankind.