Spitfire IX 1/72 finished page 4

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Spitfire IX 1/72 finished page 4

Post by Secu » Thu May 25, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi guys

I decided to write this little WIP about my current model. I just will try to show you some steps. I'm not sure I will be continuous until the end but I will try...may be my next post will show you the model finished .
First the model :

A really beautiful and complete kit, in this "profipack" edition you have pre-paint photo-etched parts and the paint masks for the canopy. But I have to advice you this is not a kit for beginer, some skills and experience are required for the PE parts.

I think I will do this plane :
Of course with a cross of Lorraine I can't resist.

Let's begin by the cockpit, nice verry precise for the scale, but with little PE parts :

And some hve to be carrefully folded:

Ready for paint

After a masked coat of aluminium, I paint somme black zones they will be a part of the preshading

I mask the instrument panels wich have to stay black.

And I airbrushed the interior green starting with the center of the panels to have the shading effect I want.

Interior done and weathered

The pre-paint PE instrument panel and harness are awesome, but tricky to use. This intrument panel and the compass below is made of 5 pieces:

The cockpit pieces ready to assemble:

It's done, the interior is finished, I ad the cable of the Stuton harness , 80 % of this work will be unvisible.

A last glance

That's all for the moment, next step will be fuselage assembly, may be this weekend.

Seeyou
Last edited by Secu on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kondor

Re: WIP Spitfire IX 1/72

Post by Kondor » Fri May 26, 2017 6:47 am

Very interesting thread, Secu. Nice of you to allow us to take a peek at your workbench instead of showing us just a completed model ;)
It doesn't matter if 80% of cockpit is invisible when the model is done, what is important is that you know all the tiny stuff is there :D And, of course, you have photos to prove it ;)
I have the same feelings now assembling the 1/72 Bf-110D (Eduard's Profipack as well)- all the details of cockpit, all the photoetched bits, all the weathering of the floor and walls will be hidden under the canopy :D
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Fri May 26, 2017 9:27 am

You're an artist, Secu. Beautiful :salute:

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Fri May 26, 2017 9:38 am

The detail is amazing Secu - the instrument panel pre-painted is incredible!

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Fri May 26, 2017 12:20 pm

Very nice work. I had no idea about the Sutton harness. That is part of what I like about building, even if the detail is hard or impossible to see later. You always learn something about the engineering. Keep it up!
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Grumpy
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Adjutant

Post by Grumpy » Fri May 26, 2017 3:43 pm

I stand in wonder :salute:
Adjutant, No. 111 (Fighter) Squadron. Adstantes

Nor law nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds.
A lonely impulse of delight
Led to this tumult in the clouds

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Fri May 26, 2017 5:29 pm

I had no idea about the Sutton harness.
I discovered it for my Martlet

I read that on the late Spit IX and further versions the harness was normaly attached to the back of the seat, the cable disapeared. But currently I haven't found any evidences, I have to search I have 3 more kits for late IX and XVI in my stack.

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Sat May 27, 2017 7:07 pm

what could go wrong with such a system? I mean, if the cable gets stuck or shot through, there goes the restraint system? Odd.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Sun May 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Progress this weekend
I closed the fuselage

Started the wings, 8 pieces for the wheels wells

And finally glued fuselage/wings and the uper engine cowl. The problem with those models wich try to replicate lots of versions, is that there are numbers of subassemblies.
In consequence there are some gaps to fill, they will require tricky sanding and rescribing.

We will see that next week.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Tue May 30, 2017 8:17 am

Beautiful
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel