The original knights of the skies

Moderator: Pariah

Pariah
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant
Contributor

Re: Recruitment: No.29 Squadron needs volunteers

Postby Pariah » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:37 pm

Jammy has the right of it. It can be a tricky bird to fly and I'm severely lacking in any kind of practise or skill in it. I'm more than happy for us to try and get together before kick off to practise together. If we can't manage it then maybe just having a half hour before we kick the mission off to get the hang of it. 30 minutes should be plenty of time with a new aircraft for the true WWI pilot experience.

Meaker

Postby Meaker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Boyezee wrote:does any one have on tips on how to fly this bird?

I'm no authority on the DH2 Boyezee,but I found that adding a 25% curve to your DH2 Pitch control,so that you have a nose heavy set up,helps keep the aircraft flying level and true.You can then adjust the fine adjustments of the pitch with the rear stabilizer trim,I have a trim wheel for elevator/stabiliser trim,it works a treat.

IMO,like the S.E.5a,the D.H.2 fm has an over done tail heavy balance to it,making it want to climb skywards,unless you input any control over it,by adding a curve,you simply reign in this feature of the fm.Just adjusting your stabiliser trim isn't enough unfortunately.

My two pennies worth for what it's worth :)
"Ah,tally-ho yippety-dip and zing zang spillip!,looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?"

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

Secu
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant
Contributor

Postby Secu » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:43 pm

I'm in, I can't miss this oportunity of being shot down in good company...

Bunny
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Contributor

Postby Bunny » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Sign me up - King and Country, what what! Down boy, down I say!
"A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is one you can walk away from with your pint intact."

Bully
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Contributor

Postby Bully » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Count me in sir if still space!

Boyezee
Major
Major
ACG Staff
Contributor

Postby Boyezee » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Meaker wrote:
Boyezee wrote:does any one have on tips on how to fly this bird?

I'm no authority on the DH2 Boyezee,but I found that adding a 25% curve to your DH2 Pitch control,so that you have a nose heavy set up,helps keep the aircraft flying level and true.You can then adjust the fine adjustments of the pitch with the rear stabilizer trim,I have a trim wheel for elevator/stabiliser trim,it works a treat.

IMO,like the S.E.5a,the D.H.2 fm has an over done tail heavy balance to it,making it want to climb skywards,unless you input any control over it,by adding a curve,you simply reign in this feature of the fm.Just adjusting your stabiliser trim isn't enough unfortunately.

My two pennies worth for what it's worth :)

This is excellent stuff Meaks, I will try the curve and I didn't even know the DH2 had a rear stabilizer trim, thanks for the tips

Pariah
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant
Contributor

Postby Pariah » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Yeah, I wasn't aware any WWI planes had trim. They all pull up naturally, you just learn to counter it.

Meaker

Re: Recruitment: No.29 Squadron is FULL

Postby Meaker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Yes,read up on this,WW1 aircraft were notorious tail draggers,however ROF have more than overdone the trait on some of their flight models. :roll:
"Ah,tally-ho yippety-dip and zing zang spillip!,looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?"

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

Return to “Rise Of Flight”