Bookses...

The original knights of the skies

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Broadsword

Bookses...

Post by Broadsword » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:49 pm

Since I'm now flying over the trenches of WW1, I've decided I could do with brushing up my Great War aviation knowledge. Does anyone have recommendations for any good reads in this area? I'm after real history rather than novels, since I want to get up to speed.

I've started with 'A Brief History of the Royal Flying Corps in World War One' by Ralph Barker, which so far seems to be pretty decent, but are there any real classics that I shouldn't miss? I'd also like to get some kind of aircraft guide to the era, since I'm still learning to remember the difference between all these bloody biplanes :D

Fire away chaps... :lecture:
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Re: Bookses...

Post by Ginger » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:02 pm

This is a good read Broady. Sagittarius Rising
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:09 pm

Cheers Ginger :nice: It is indeed very good, and I'll re-read it one day, but I'm looking for more of a historical overview than a close-up memoir, if you see what I mean. Sort of 'what happened?' rather than 'what was it like?' :D
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Post by Ginger » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:12 pm

Doh. :oops:
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Shadepiece

Post by Shadepiece » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 am

Oh Broady do I have the books for you!!!

Somme success, Bloody April, and Aces Falling by historian Peter Hart.

Somme success is hands down the best non-fiction read I've ever been graced with. I seriously love how he tells the story. He writes incredibly smoothly and I was not bored as I usually am reading non-fiction.

Somme Success covers 1915-1916
Bloody April covers Jan-Aug 1917
Aces Falling is until the war's end I believe.

I have only finished Somme Success, and I am currently in the middle of Bloody April. Rise of Flight put me back in the mood to read about WWI as well.

One other book I am interested in, but am not familiar with is a book about Oswald Boelcke by R.G. Head. If anyone has read it I would like to hear your thoughts.

Also, I am very interested in any further books that anyone has.

Spirit

Post by Spirit » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:49 am

I might pick these up too...
Catch me if you can...

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:29 pm

Guns of August by Tuchman is interesting read for the start of the conflict. Lots of detail about the forces that pushed the war ahead.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:16 pm

I’ve only read one so far but do want to read more. I read Winged Victory by V M Yeates. It’s a fiction but written by a WWI pilot.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:46 pm

That's rounding out my Christmas list nicely :D Those Peter Hart ones sound excellent...

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:47 pm

I've just grabbed Somme Success on Kindle. It's got a lovely FE2b on the cover.