Any Bikers wanting a new Rocket??

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Broadsword

Re: Any Bikers wanting a new Rocket??

Post by Broadsword » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Any relation?

I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Wozaworld

Post by Wozaworld » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Thaine wrote:I got my 125cc drivers license when I was 16 and rode a 80cc Honda Enduro for the next two years which was good fun. Then I came back to my driving school to get my license for car and all other bikes. I never really go around buying myself a proper bike. Never really had the money, later I lacked the time.
I was always a Ducati fan. My dream bike was/is the Ducati SBK 996
Hell of a bike the 996!!
"Always treat your kite like you treat your woman, climb inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back.."

i7 8700K @ 5Ghz H100X Water cooled, Asus Maximus X Hero, 32gb DDR4 3000mhz ram, GTX1080ti 11gb , 250gb SSD, Thrustmaster warthog stick, X-55 H.O.T.A.S, Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR5, GHD Hair straightners, Quite a nice kettle. Oh! and one of those Oculus majiggy thingys

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:57 pm

Broadsword wrote:Any relation?

Fuck me - that's uncanny!

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:03 pm

Von Archie wrote:Colour coded fence, decking, and beard. :fap: Bike's gone now :(

Jailor

Post by Jailor » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:12 pm

On the contrary... the term "Bikers" in the Uk (Europe even) is generally associated with Sports, Supersports, and tourers, unlike the majority state side, we prefer race fit bikes, full leathers and protective gear, clean and sharp

Well said Woz. Having ridden Supersport bikes most of my life and a tourer for a while and being accident free, well almost, I understand the skills needed and concur it's the only way to be a "true biker"

Abroad I am filled with horror when I see ridders in shorts and trainers, some with more than a little gravel rash :suicide:

Nice bike btw, recently passed all my leathers onto my nephew to stop me buying on a whim so sadly I I'll not be buying :B:

Zyk

Post by Zyk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:15 am

the first time i was 'almost killed' was 2 weeks after i bought my first bike. i was sitting at a traffic light, getting ready to take off, and i hear screeching brakes....the next thing i know, the bike was doing a wheelie across the intersection by itself, and i was laying on my back on the pavement, my face about 2 inches from the oilpan of a '65 plymouth barracuda. the chick driver said she didn't see me. people just don't see bikes. my final wreck, 15 years later, 1988, i was doing 40mph down the road, i see a van pull up to a stop sign on my right (i was on a main through street), and at the last possible second, the van pulled out right in front of me. i aimed to hit the soft fender opening, which i did, but when i tried to jump over the van, my knees hit the handlebars, i flew up 15 feet and landed on the van windshield on my head, slid off to the ground. the driver told me he felt bad, because he had a motorcycle too, and rode....but just didn't see me, even though i had my headlight on. i was a very good rider, but you just can't avoid all the assholes all the time.....and i rode like i was invisible, assuming they don't see me.

this was my triumph, 1979, a 'rat' bike....lol....

Kildren

Post by Kildren » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:18 am

Donkey wrote:I've never had a bike licence, and only ever been a passenger on one a couple of times. At 12 years old I'm not going to start ever (much as I think bikes are cool and I'd love one) because I'd be in the 1st blue column before I know it... Shame really, but I know what kind of an child I am - so discretion being the better part etc..
fixed it for ya

Speak to me about joining the ACG Pilots Union

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:22 am

If only you really did have the power to make me 12 again...

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Zyk wrote:but you just can't avoid all the assholes all the time.....and i rode like i was invisible, assuming they don't see me.
In a nutshell. As someone who didn't own a car and cycled everywhere around Birmingham and further until my early thirties, I still drive my car with this mindset (I'm invisible). I think everyone should be made to ride something with two wheels before getting into a car - it really does teach you how to read other drivers. You gain a sixth sense, automatically knowing if that car ahead is going to pull out on you, or the idiot behind really *is* going to try and overtake you and the learner driver in front in a speed restricted area whilst you're both about to overtake a cyclist that he hasn't bothered to see.

:nice:

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Wozaworld wrote:Just ordered a new car... so this has to go now :(

Excellent condition - 20k on the clocks, serviced every year regardless of cost, recent new back tyre (100 miles old) & new front pads, very clean example - faultless performance & twin GP tail pipe from the manifold, rear seat cowl & Crash bungs.

Comes with all supporting documents and two sets of keys, has 4 months MOT left but will fly through!

Bit late to the party on this one - but I admit to being slightly tempted. There are quite a few problems though:

1. I've never owned a bike (been on the back of a few though).
2. I'm not sure if I'm yet ready for my mid-life crisis (although I turn 48 this year).
3. The wife would never allow it.
4. I've always told my kids they are death traps and are they are never to get one.
5. I know very little about bikes. I bought a bike magazine back in the 90's and out of all the reviews I always came back to the Honda VFR750 and lusted over the pictures. It was a black one too. If I recall it was described as a Sports-Tourer.
5. I haven't got the money.

A mate in my office (a couple of years younger than me) has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He's in denial and is still coming to work while he can but the truth is that he's got less than 6 months left.

Life is never fair. Need to make the most of it while you can. This post and my mates condition has got me thinking about my personal bucket list.