NEW VR vs. Monitor poll - REQUEST ALL ACG MEMBERS TO VOTE!

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Are you using VR to fly ACG Campaign missions?

Yes, I have been using VR for a while (6 months +)
22%
Yes, I am using VR and have made the move recently (less then 6 months)
12%
No, I am not using VR but considering a move, e.g. after PC upgrade, etc.
23%
No, I am not using VR and not considering a move in the foreseeable future
43%

Total votes: 82

Spigot

Re: NEW VR poll

Post by Spigot » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:39 pm

Mephisto wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:32 pm
Spigot wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:05 pm
I wonder whether with a title such as 'new VR poll' a lot of members without VR will have passed it by. Also there are a good number who don't post particularly regularly if views vs posts in a thread is anything to go by. Notwithstanding repeat viewer and repliers, of course.
Changed the title to be more provocative...
That is a little more provocative, certainly!

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Re: NEW VR vs. Monitor poll - REQUEST ALL ACG MEMBERS TO VOTE!

Post by Ginger » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:46 pm

This poll as no real value . all it's doing is making the VR user's look elitist, which is not helping! what is it try to achieve?
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:42 am

I suspect it's trying to gauge VR uptake across all of ACG to determine if VR users represent a truly niche minority or an important subset (or even, indeed, the majority) of ACG. Like it or not, VR being available on a platform is an important consideration for future campaigns beyond IL2:Brown Wongs - Tobruk.

Mooch

Post by Mooch » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:27 am

I'm a "not in the forseeable future" guy. VR sounds great, but for some strange reason, my wife regards getting central heating for the second floor more important than VR and the graphics card update to run it.

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Post by Ginger » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:46 am

Mooch wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:27 am
I'm a "not in the forseeable future" guy. VR sounds great, but for some strange reason, my wife regards getting central heating for the second floor more important than VR and the graphics card update to run it.
Mooch , tell her you'll warm her up! :oops:
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Konaber

Post by Konaber » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:11 am

Mooch wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:27 am
The amount of heat a VR headset demands from the PC should be sufficient :D

Grumpy
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Adjutant

Post by Grumpy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:12 am

I admit to being ambivalent about VR. I like the "immersion," but my first generation Rift just doesn't compare to my monitor in terms of visual sharpness and being able to spot objects - I find the screen door effect very limiting and annoying. My aging eyes may have something to do with this as well (may be I should get special near-vision contacts for VR?). On the other hand, VR certainly makes things like landing much easier, and my marksmanship is 100% improved (with VR, it has gone from absolutely hopeless to merely terrible). That said, I'm backordered on a Reverb G2, so we'll see what that's like.
Adjutant, No. 111 (Fighter) Squadron. Adstantes

Nor law nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds.
A lonely impulse of delight
Led to this tumult in the clouds

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:04 am

Grumpy wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:12 am
I admit to being ambivalent about VR. I like the "immersion," but my first generation Rift just doesn't compare to my monitor in terms of visual sharpness and being able to spot objects - I find the screen door effect very limiting and annoying. My aging eyes may have something to do with this as well (may be I should get special near-vision contacts for VR?). On the other hand, VR certainly makes things like landing much easier, and my marksmanship is 100% improved (with VR, it has gone from absolutely hopeless to merely terrible). That said, I'm backordered on a Reverb G2, so we'll see what that's like.
The Reverb G2 will be night and day difference for you. No screen door effect at all.

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Crane

Post by Crane » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:01 pm

So currently about 40% (n48) of the active ACG members (n120) have participated in the poll.
The poll shows a 50-50 ratio between people that use VR vs Screen.
Even assuming that if the rest that hasn't voted all are non-VR players, we'd be at 20% of our members that use VR. My guess is that in reality, around a third of our members use VR. That 1/3 ratio also fits what I hear from people I usually fly with in ACG.

Spigot

Post by Spigot » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:54 pm

Crane wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:01 pm
So currently about 40% (n48) of the active ACG members (n120) have participated in the poll.
The poll shows a 50-50 ratio between people that use VR vs Screen.
Even assuming that if the rest that hasn't voted all are non-VR players, we'd be at 20% of our members that use VR. My guess is that in reality, around a third of our members use VR. That 1/3 ratio also fits what I hear from people I usually fly with in ACG.
Without wishing to be too much of a pedant, we have 168 active members at the moment. Admittedly exact attendance varies and week on week campaign numbers are obiously lower.

I suspect 1/3 is a little too high as it varies sqn to sqn. For example 615/274 has just one in VR across a full compliment of 12.