Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Cockpit build electronics thread

Post by Dickie » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:49 pm

Different from the 'show us your cockpit' thread because this is about custom pits and building them.

I thought I could just buy a slide pot for my throttle/mix/pitch set I'm making, and for trim devices but it hadn't occurred to me the electronic choice about, most of which I don't understand. RS Components list 1500+ of the fuckers

My requirement is that it needs to work in game. I haven't chosen a PCB to use with it but I reckon it'll be a Leo Bodnar board so I need

1. 4 slide pots, maybe 5
2. a handful of rotary pots for various things

I also want some lightbreaker switches, at least 4, so I can effectively model the H shift selector in the Hurricane.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Von Archie

Re: Cockpit build electronics thread

Post by Von Archie » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:33 pm

You can get slide pots from Maplin, they are cheap. Slide pots are not as accurate though apparently:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=sli ... &x=22&y=19

As for rotary pots, do you have any old joysticks you can take them from, or better yet, Bodnar sells them. I use a couple of these for trim in my button box. Make sure you follow the wiring diagram on the Bodnar site though, or they burst in to flames (don't ask how I know this...)

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php ... cts_id=193

If you go for a Bodnar board, getting the bu836X, although expensive, will make your life a lot easier.
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Maltloaf
Location: Salisbury Plain, birthplace of British military aviation.

Post by Maltloaf » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:34 pm

I agree Leo Bodnar's boards are the simplest answer. With regards to pots you need linear taper pots (normal shown as B taper I think, not log). I would use 10 k ohms sliding pots for the throttle quad, they are more than accurate enough. I have been using mine for hundreds of hours with no bother. For trim wheels I would suggest five or even ten turn rotary pots, if you use the normal single turn ones which are about 300 degrees you will struggle to trim accurately.

Also, the RS site is dreadful and too expensive, try Farnells or Digikey, avoid RS like the plague, I get a good discount through work and they are still too expensive even when they have what I want which is rare.

If you can wait till I get back from Oz I can send you part numbers etc. Not sure what you mean by lightbreaker switches. For most sim applications you want momentary push to make switches. For controls like gear up/down you can get small cheap toggle switches off ebay that work well.

I have loads of information on this as I am in the middle of building version 3 of my system but not till I get back home 28 Nov.

Malt
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:13 pm

Thank you guys, happy to wait no problem. Lightbreaker stuff is, for example, the one on the MS Sidewinder handle which enables the motors for FFB when you hold the stick, and break the light (IR). These are also on old ball mice, broken by a wheel with holes in it

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/computermouse.html

I want to use this type of switch on the Hurricane H selector for gear and flaps so that it knows where the stick is all the time. The gearstick will break the beam when it passes through the gate and I can use JoytoKey to fire off the desired events to keep it in check with game.

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:58 pm

Is that how Nails did his H shift, or did he use mini switches?
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:26 pm

He used switches. In the thread there is a conversation I had explaining how that H selector works so he could set it up right.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:37 am

I need Maltloaf's expertise, but he's away atm isn't he

Maltloaf

Post by Maltloaf » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:50 am

l am around. sorry what is the question?
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:54 am

Maltloaf wrote: ......If you can wait till I get back from Oz I can send you part numbers etc. Not sure what you mean by lightbreaker switches. For most sim applications you want momentary push to make switches......
:D

Maltloaf

Post by Maltloaf » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:02 am

ah, yep. Will go and find them.