Third Time's the Charm

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Zig-Zag

Re: Third Time's the Charm

Post by Zig-Zag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:54 am

I got into the ACG server once, but only the E-1 would spawn. Other times, the servers (ACG and Leadfarm) would time-out. Any ideas what causes the cockpit view to not load although I can hear the AI radio chatter?

Cheers!

"Zig-Zag"

Zig-Zag

Post by Zig-Zag » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:55 am

I've been having a much-better go of it taking-off from Marquis than aerodromes without proper runways. This evening, I landed right-side up, then applied the brakes a wee bit much and bent the prop, but was able to kill the engine with all three wheels on the ground. Huzza!

Well, back to it!
Cheers!
"Zig-Zag"

Zig-Zag

Post by Zig-Zag » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:23 am

Well, then, I was able to take-off from Hydrequent https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=0CglK8Ydbpkand fly to Audembert to practice landing on my home runway. It took me three passes to land, but I was able to do so maintaining my aircraft in such condition that I could attempt to take-off from Audembert and practice another landing. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=gqzA8ygqdgo I taxied to the northern end of the runway, however, as I entered the runway, my aircraft suddenly dis-appeared. Any ideas why?

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Zig-Zag wrote:Well, then, I was able to take-off from Hydrequent https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=0CglK8Ydbpkand fly to Audembert to practice landing on my home runway. It took me three passes to land, but I was able to do so maintaining my aircraft in such condition that I could attempt to take-off from Audembert and practice another landing. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=gqzA8ygqdgo I taxied to the northern end of the runway, however, as I entered the runway, my aircraft suddenly dis-appeared. Any ideas why?

Any landing you walk away from is a good landing. You're getting better. Your movements are choppy as if you are using keypad or joystick needs calibration. You're still a fair bit unstable coming in for landing and also a bit fast initially when you approach the field. Try to get down to about 250 km/h as you circuit the field and on short final as you line up center runway, be in a gradual descent and touch down around 180 to 200 km/h.

Watch this video from Jackman on landings. It's pretty good. You'll be doing 3 pt landings in no time.

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Smokejumper

Post by Smokejumper » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:29 pm

Zig-Zag wrote:02 Okt 2017
Got off the ground easiest from Marquis. Landing was not so easy; kept flipping over clockwise and bursting into flame. I cannot seem to get my speed slow enough and the kite low enough at the same time. I did manage one bounce and land that resulted in severe prop damage.
Try again tomorrow.
Cheers!
"Zig-Zag"

Here is a tip for landing practice.

Take off, get into the air and get comfy. Get to 1.5K, slow down trim all the way nose high, drop flaps and gear. Flaps lower to 40%. Trimmed fully nose high, gear down with flaps at 40% practice floating nice and steady. Start to lose altitude and see how you go. This is good practice for setting yourself up for a landing. In this configuration you should be able to fly her right onto the runway and have a three point no bounce landing with time.

I also find a circle approach effective so you can see the runway until the last moments. I like using tricks you read about in history books. It's cool to see them work.

Good luck buddy!

Zig-Zag

Post by Zig-Zag » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:18 pm

What I now need is a video that shows how to trim the nose down, and how much flap is 40%

Cheers!

"Zig-Zag"

Zyk

Post by Zyk » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:13 pm

@Smokejumper...when i was a kid (back in the 60s), i read that most 109 pilots early in the war were in glider clubs before the war, so many pilots would challenge each other and shut engines off on long approaches to see who could glide the furthest. you have to come in from a high angle to do this.

i don't know why most of these pilots here in ACG come in low and under power.

i recently read that 109 pilots were actually trained to come in at a steep angle (like i do in my vid), and that is the proper way to approach, using 'crabbing' (side slipping). side slipping gives you a good view of where you are going (like you said turning does). trimming nose full up is critical to make a 3 point landing, too. here is my landing vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bujnttOyoo0

my dad always had me crab in, when we flew in his piper cub, in the 60s, when i was 10 years old. that is the most fun part of flying, and landing.....
Last edited by Zyk on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Smokejumper

Post by Smokejumper » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:16 pm

Wheel on the left closest to you is trim. Counter clockwise will trim nose up. The a/c will want to climb or turn, you will noticed when you got it.

For flaps just estimate. Before you take off lower your flaps all the way then estimate where the middle is. If you look on the top left of your instrument panel you will see flap instructions. It's not percentage but degrees. Take off it recommends 20 degrees. While you don't need it it does help.

It recommends 40 degrees for landing. Full flaps can slow you too much too fast causing a stall.

Nice video Zyk, our approach is similar. I will often come in steeper than that with a lot of hard side slip. Lessons learnt in ATAG avoiding strafers.

That there looks textbook what you did Zyk. I take pride in trying to land nicely just floating in especially Sunday when we are larping. Also your buddies are watching and ready to laugh if you fuck it.

Zyk

Post by Zyk » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:08 pm

thanx, Smokejumper....i am not worth a damn to my staffel, but i CAN do nice landings, if nothing else.....lol....

Smokejumper

Post by Smokejumper » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:36 pm

I'm sure that's not true. If nothing else you divide what the enemy is shooting at. :)