Actual flying in the UK

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Actual flying in the UK

Post by Tex » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:56 pm

There is a chance I may be able to visit the London area next summer. I wanted to explore whether it would be possible to take a flight over some of the areas we patrol in the virtual world of Cliffs. In the US, there are many airfields and flight schools that offer exploration flights and some air museums that offer rides in actual warbirds. My dream ride would be in a Hurricane but I’m only a low time Cessna 172pilot so I know that is not an option. I also know that the airspace regulations are different enough that I would not be comfortable renting a plane and going solo. So, I am looking for an outfit to take a ride with.
My online search has turned up one school in Surrey and Kent which is near where I’m likely to stay. Can anyone suggest a source for this?
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Matt
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Sqn Cdr

Re: Actual flying in the UK

Post by Matt » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:12 pm

Tex, check out www.aerolegends.co.uk for rides in WW2 planes or https://www.headcornaerodrome.co.uk/ for cessna rides.

Let me know if you choose to go there and when you are over next year as I volunteer with aerolegends there so i'm down there most weekends

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:50 pm

Matt,
Thanks so much for this! The mere thought of time in a Spitfire is overwhelming. Though, truth be told I’d be worried about getting shot at by someone in 501
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Bully

Post by Bully » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:13 am

:D

I’m afraid I can’t help with the trip in a plane, but it would be fantastic if can make it over Tex.

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:14 am

Classic wings at Duxford. You can go up in a Tiger Moth or even a Harvard I think. If you are really keen you can even fly in a Spitfire...
http://www.classic-wings.co.uk/fly-in-a-spitfire/
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Matt
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Sqn Cdr

Post by Matt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:52 am

Tex wrote:Matt,
Thanks so much for this! The mere thought of time in a Spitfire is overwhelming. Though, truth be told I’d be worried about getting shot at by someone in 501
There do flights in a tiger moth, harvard, spitfire and a dehavilland devon (which flies alongside the spitfire), these flights go out over the cliffs of dover depending on the flight time.

they should have dates on the website for next year soon

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:42 am

Here ya go Tex - http://www.boultbeeflightacademy.co.uk/

£2750 to fly in a spit! From Goodwood, so likely to fly over familiar areas!

:salute:
BD
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further; it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow across that angry or that glimmering sea

Steph

Post by Steph » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:33 pm

BlackDog wrote:Here ya go Tex - http://www.boultbeeflightacademy.co.uk/

£2750 to fly in a spit! From Goodwood, so likely to fly over familiar areas!

:salute:
BD
Beat me to it...

Would be nice if you can have a flight in the skies of our weekly demise... :lol:

Hope you can make it and have a nice flight Tex! :nice:

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Very cool idea Tex - hope you manage to pull it off!

I know the Spitfire option ain't cheap, especially on top of a flight over, but if you did manage to do it, your bucket list would become virtually empty overnight (flying in a Hurricane being the only viable option left on the list) :nice:

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:32 pm

Keep us posted on your plans Tex. I'm sure a good few of us would be willing to travel to come and see you.