Do Aliens exist?

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Wozaworld

Re: Do Aliens exist?

Post by Wozaworld » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Macnihilist wrote:
Smokejumper wrote:
Gromic wrote: That sir, sums it up exactly.

Perfect. That's it right there.

Nah, too simplistic and too cheaply polemic. But I do think that people came up with religion for three main reasons:
(a) to understand and influence nature
(b) to establish rules for dealing with each other
(c) to deal with their finiteness and insignificance in the world

For the scientific component (a) we have modern science, and anybody who seriously pitches religious "explanations" and "theories" as alternatives to science doesn't understand the very precise and technical meaning that the words "a theory explains an effect" have in science - at least in the hard sciences. Or they want to maliciously bullshit people.

For the sociological component (b) we have modern constitutions, laws, etc. that do extremely well without religious ballast.

For the psychological component (c), well, if you want to delude yourself to make your life easier be my guest. If you want to think you are somehow infinite, think it. (My favorite Feuerbach quote: "The tombs [of men] are the birthplaces of the gods.") If you want to think you matter beyond what you actually do in your (finite) life, think it. Just be sure not to let this delusion leak into the domains of (a) and (b).

What I wanted to say with the previous beer-post is that it is a slippery slope from "harmless psychological trick you play on ourself" to "dangerous mass-delusion that ends in a gigantic shit-show".
Of course people will always find a justification to fuck other people over, but I have the feeling that religion does make it so very dangerously effortless. I feel that churches and religion have perfected this art over the centuries, literally preaching unconditional, uncritical faith all day long and thus cultivating a mindset of blind obedience.

Anyway, end of sermon. In (a) and (b) religion is an unnecessary anachronism, in my opinion; in (c) it's tolerable but dangerous. And yes, I have no training in sociology and psychology, so I should probably keep my mouth shut on these topics. Maybe I "worshiped" the one and only true beer a little too much last light. ;)

Let's return to aliens, for which there is at least hope of finding scientific evidence, because we don't define them to be immune to scientific evidence.
*Enter religious loophole comment*

....God works in mysterious ways
"Always treat your kite like you treat your woman, climb inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back.."

i7 8700K @ 5Ghz H100X Water cooled, Asus Maximus X Hero, 32gb DDR4 3000mhz ram, GTX1080ti 11gb , 250gb SSD, Thrustmaster warthog stick, X-55 H.O.T.A.S, Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR5, GHD Hair straightners, Quite a nice kettle. Oh! and one of those Oculus majiggy thingys

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:23 pm

Wozaworld wrote:*Enter religious loophole comment*

....God works in mysterious ways

...which exactly mimic the expected effects of him not existing at all. The sneaky or nonexistent bugger :lol:

Regarding the impact theory for the Younger Dryas, I will repeat that I'm not saying it couldn't have happened, merely that in an ongoing discussion it is not currently carrying the day. I have no issue with the possibility, but as explained it doesn't make Hancock right because even if it occurred it doesn't mean it's going to happen again soon, despite his fanciful imaginings that the impact would be somehow related to the Earth's axial precession. As a side note, it's disingenuous to suggest that we should be paying more attention to Hancock's 'hypothesis and concern' as though he's the only person warning us of the danger of cosmic impacts. For as long as I can remember real scientists have been pointing out these dangers, as evidenced by the Tunguska event, the impact of comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 into Jupiter, the discovery of the Chicxulub crater etc. NASA has been in the near Earth asteroid tracking business for a long time - they started the NEAT program in 1996, and whilst Hancock's 'Fingerprints of the Gods' did come out in 1995, I'm pretty sure NASA didn't get a whole new program up and running in a year because they were so impressed with Hancock's doom-mongering. In fact the US Congress' 'Spaceguard Survey Report' in 1992 gave NASA the goal of detecting 90% of near-Earth asteroids larger than 1km in the following 10 years. Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter in 1994, and made a lot of people take the threat a lot more seriously. It's really not the case that Hancock is bravely shouting about a danger that everyone else ignores - you don't have to sell me, or many, many other people, on the idea that cosmic impacts occur and are very bad news. The only thing Hancock adds to the mix is the idea that we are somehow more at risk just about now, and that's just bunkum invented to sell books.

As for whether the impact itself ever occurred, as I say I'm on the fence, but there are a couple of points to address. Firstly you say that it wasn't supposed to be a comet impact, but the comet's tail. Comet tails are made up of gas and dust. Yes, there are likely to be small chunks of blown off ice or rock in there (small enough to be vapourised in our upper atmosphere) but mainly it's empty space. We passed through the tail of Halley's comet in 1910 and despite a lot of doom-mongerers predictions we did just fine. But Hancock claims (on his own website) that "the tell-tale traces of multiple impacts by the fragments of a giant comet have been found. Some of these fragments, were TWO KILOMETRES or more in diameter and they hit the earth like a blast from a cosmic scatter-gun around 12,800 years ago". Now, comet Tempel Tuttle was about 1.8km across, comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 was about 1.4km across (before it broke up), whilst comet Halley is maybe 15km across. Yes, there are bigger ones, but by anybody's standard if you're getting hit by multiple 2km fragments then you're not just in the comet's tail. Fragments that size would be held together by gravity against any normal outgassing anyway so wouldn't just drift off in the tail. The only way you would get multiple fragments of this size is if the whole comet broke up under tidal forces a la Shoemaker-Levy 9, in which case once again you're getting hit by comet nucleus, not tail. Ignoring Hancock, even the most conservative estimates require a cluster of comet fragments airbursting across a wide area, and yet no plausible theory as to how this cluster formed or why they were all airbursts has been suggested.

Secondly, you say it's absurd to expect to find an impact site because we haven't looked everywhere yet. Well, a 2km fragment isn't going to vapourise before impact, and Hancock claims that these hits occurred "across this huge “fingerprint” spanning North America, Central America, parts of South America, most of Europe and parts of the Middle East as well", so where are the holes? Again, I'm not saying an impact couldn't have happened, but it's certainly not 'absurd' to want some evidence of it if Hancock's version is right.

There's so much more that could be addressed, but time is short so I'll just mention one final thing. You say "Yet we have quite considerable detail of the Roman Empire to which isn't far back from the initial dating of the Pyramids" when asking why information has been lost. The Roman Empire lasted from 27BCE to 476CE. The great pyramids of Giza were built around 2550BCE. You can see where I'm going with this. Add in the improvements in writing technology that occurred between those two dates and it's hardly surprising that we know a lot more about Rome than the pyramids.

Overall I'm open-minded about possibility of the impact itself (with a little more evidence it would be a good explanation for the climate change), but Hancock's version of it and the mythology he wants to hang off it is a crock...

Apologies by the way if this is more reply than wanted - I find these things fascinating (the moreso when the genuinely exciting science intersects with humanities tendency to take an interesting idea just run with it until they're standing in the tall grass of whacko-land) and like to dig around for something true. The handbag pictures for example are interesting and hard to explain at first sight...
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Wozaworld

Post by Wozaworld » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:32 am

Broadsword wrote: Apologies by the way if this is more reply than wanted - I find these things fascinating (the moreso when the genuinely exciting science intersects with humanities tendency to take an interesting idea just run with it until they're standing in the tall grass of whacko-land) and like to dig around for something true. The handbag pictures for example are interesting and hard to explain at first sight...
No need to apologise Broady! I too am fascinated by the very same.

I'm not saying Hancock is the hero who is souly pointing out the dangers - of course there are many scientists who recognise the threat, but Hancocks point is the little spent on NEAT in comparison to other programs. I forget the actual budget allowance - however yearly this equates to very little (IRO $2m annually I believe). Just in the past 10yrs there have been many last minute sightings of bodies coming within a cats whisker (in Space terms) of "near misses". In fact below is a record of meteors impacting the Earths atmosphere from 1993 - 2013 - although these have been small and of little danger;

What do we have in terms of defence should a threat be imminent? not a lot currently.. that is what he shouts about. Is it possible to have a defence against something of a big magnitude?

I get the whole "Hancock is a crock of shit" as most journalists or book writers bare very little credibility, yet it is too easy to pin a hypothesis on simply "just spun for the sale of books". I think he is correct though, I do think an advanced civilisation was lost - and I do think a catastrophic incident wiped them out. I think the likelyhood that this happened is very high, but why do I think that?

Firstly, the link I posted at the end of my previous comment contains 36 references to peer reviewed research indicating evidence of a cosmic impact during the Younger Dryas. Again back in 1995 Hancock bravely stuck his neck out and gave his hypothesis without this research to back his claim.. yet 22yrs later... it is here, and you have to admit... it does swing his way.

I'm convinced the megalithic structures we see today stem from a civilisation far more advanced than we had 4500yrs ago, I guess the main point of my Roman vs Egyptian argument was the difference in their structures.. if we reference our structures today against the Romans, it is clearly evident that our structures are superior, because we have advanced. Surely great structures such as the megalithic ones we find today would of been advanced upon too? hell.. the wheel has stayed with us since the Greeks invented it, yet we find no advancement on these structures.. it is as I said "lost" methodology. There are various studies that now suggest the Pyramids are far far older that what we initially estimated, for instance if the shafts inside the Great Pyramid and the positioning of the pyramids correspond with the constellation of Orion.. then the perfect alignment between the pyramids and Orion, would have only occurred in 10,500 BC. The Sphinx, too, aligns to the the constellation of Leo in the same year, 10,500 BC. The fact the Sphinx shows evidence of rain corrosion shows us it was erected in a time where the climate was cooler. The technology and knowledge of these structures have been lost. Why? Precision, alignment and build of these structures are far too advanced for primitive civilisations to of made them. The more you collaborate their structures with each other, the more compelling this is. Again in the past 4500yrs this has not been replicated even slightly, it seems these structures were abruptly stopped and world wide. You mention advancement in scriptures.. surely the people who built these structures had more than an ability to of documented and scripted!! But there is no evidence surviving? Why? I think to use the lack of scripture to claim they couldn't of been as advanced is just plain silly.. it was lost.
"Always treat your kite like you treat your woman, climb inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back.."

i7 8700K @ 5Ghz H100X Water cooled, Asus Maximus X Hero, 32gb DDR4 3000mhz ram, GTX1080ti 11gb , 250gb SSD, Thrustmaster warthog stick, X-55 H.O.T.A.S, Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR5, GHD Hair straightners, Quite a nice kettle. Oh! and one of those Oculus majiggy thingys

Samuelsen

Post by Samuelsen » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:41 am

Aliens do exist, I can't remember which although some space agency has found single celled organisms on asteroids

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 pm

Samuelsen wrote:Aliens do exist, I can't remember which although some space agency has found single celled organisms on asteroids
[citation needed]
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Samuelsen

Post by Samuelsen » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:57 pm

Broadsword wrote:
Samuelsen wrote:Aliens do exist, I can't remember which although some space agency has found single celled organisms on asteroids
[citation needed]
My mistake, it was on the ISS walls, they've got some form of life growing on them, possibly man made, possibly natural.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stat ... h/news/MT1

HotLunch

Post by HotLunch » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:45 pm

I, for one, welcome our meteorite overlords.
More vodka Comrade!

Smokejumper

Post by Smokejumper » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:47 am

I don't think the dinosaurs welcomed them right..... If an overlord does need to visit send a baby somewhere sandy.