Politics and other garbage thread

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Spectre

Re: Politics and other garbage thread

Post by Spectre » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:51 pm

Kildren;

What do you count as an "Assault Rifle" since semi automatic only rifles are not considered to be "Assault Rifles" by most modern definitions. Even if its an AR15 style rifle with an ACOG and box magazine, if it is only capable of semi automatic it isn't considered to be an "Assault Rifle" since its unable to use fully automatic fire. This is why the gun debate is so tricky, because most people recognize that an AR15 looks and feels like an "Assault Rifle" and for all intent and purposes it essentially is one - but without the ability to use fully automatic and semi-automatic, it isn't considered an "Assault Rifle".

The definition of an "Assault Rifle" as used by the US Military and to my knowledge US Law is;
- It must be capable of selective fire.
- It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle, such as the 7.92×33mm Kurz, the 7.62x39mm and the 5.56x45mm NATO.
- Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable box magazine.[5]
- It must have an effective range of at least 300 metres (330 yards).

What makes this even more of an issue is that their are tons of "Assault Rifle" style weapons chambered in smaller rounds that can be just as deadly as a 5.56x45mm NATO round. A big firearm that to my knowledge has been used more than the AR15 in mass shootings is the Ruger 10/22 which is only a .22 and significantly smaller than 5.56 but still extremely lethal. It isn't as easy as "Just ban the semi-autos AR's" because the definition leaves a lot of wiggle room.
"On the edge of destiny, you must test your strength"
- Air Marshal Billy Bishop

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:01 am

I personally don't understand the hype of the AR15...it only looks cool. I will take my SKS over the AR all day long and because it has a wood stock, liberals just don't know about it. My $95 purchase in 1993 has paid off. It's not like bump stock ban will keep people from rapid firing.

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

HotLunch

Post by HotLunch » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:55 am

I own an AR15 in Canada. It's fun to shoot, expensive to buy and if I were so inclined I could accessorize it out the ass.

That being said, the laws here in Canada are supremely different from the US. I can't take my AR into the woods and shoot it, it can only legally be used at an approved shooting range.

I need a separate license to transport the firearm from my house to the range. Need to take it to a gunsmith? I have to apply for a different license to transfer it there.

As an owner of firearms in Canada, I go through an automated criminal background check every day at 2:15 AM. If I fail that check, police show up at my door to collect my firearms. My spouse could call the CNFC (Canadian National Firearms Centre) at anytime and report me unfit, the guns would be taken away. My family doctor can do the same.

When I do get my AR to the range, I am restricted to 5 rounds in a magazine.

The AR 15 is the civilian version of a firearm designed to kill as efficiently as possible but the vast majority of AR15 owners use them to punch .22" sized holes in paper.

What the US lacks is meaningful legislation about who can buy said firearm and the ability to confiscate the firearm if the owner falls on hard-times.

Any item can be used to kill. The fact that the US allows Items designed to kill to be so freely purchased and held, regardless of the owners mental state, is the issue here.

As an aside, Tex, I'm down to hunt pheasant with you anytime.
More vodka Comrade!

Stig

Post by Stig » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:35 am

others that think the earth is flat
I apologize for the off-topic, but just in case there is someone in the ACG that happens to live in the vicinity of the edge of the earth, would it be possible to take some pics or better still a short video on your smartphone and upload it? I mean off or over the edge, just to clarify.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:12 am

HotLunch wrote:As an owner of firearms in Canada, I go through an automated criminal background check every day at 2:15 AM. If I fail that check, police show up at my door to collect my firearms. My spouse could call the CNFC (Canadian National Firearms Centre) at anytime and report me unfit, the guns would be taken away. My family doctor can do the same.
B-b-but, surely that means you're not free :shock:
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 am

@HotLunch - they sound like amazingly sensible laws and regulations. They would also do away with people 'who just fancy a gun' if you have some meaningful hoops to jump through, in the same way that no one can just buy a car and drive it without jumping through a few meaningful hoops (such as 'are you fit to use a device that used in a certain manner could kill several people).

@Stig Don't be stupid - d'you think I'd get so close to the edge just to grab a photo! The backwash from the turtle flippers would pull me into the abyss :nuts:

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:37 am

Bunny wrote: @Stig Don't be stupid - d'you think I'd get so close to the edge just to grab a photo! The backwash from the turtle flippers would pull me into the abyss :nuts:
This. Know your physics, man.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Stig

Post by Stig » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:56 pm

I hadn't considered it was quite so dangerous, Bunny, but I've got the answer I wanted. Now I can surprise my wife with a ticket for a luxury cruise; the 'surprise' would have been less startling if it turned out that the world was in fact not flat. A bloody waste of money as well.

Thanks mate :B:

Spectre

Post by Spectre » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Bunny wrote:they sound like amazingly sensible laws and regulations.

To add some more info, before you can even get your license you have to go through a course run by the RCMP. Since its a federally administered test, its pretty up to date and consistent across the board - and that is important when gun laws here are as tight as a ducks arse. The course has a written and practical portion, so not only are you demonstrating your understanding of the laws and proper storage etc... but that you can safely handle different types of firearms (Lever action, pump action, break action, semi-auto). To own a handgun is a separate course altogether.

I did these back in September and I still havent gotten my license since I need to have references that I've known for three years and since thats back when I was in highschool most of my friends are away at school and can't come sign my application - so this is another part of the application process which is useful since if you can't find people to vouch for you its going to be hard to get a firearm. I may complain about it but its annoying that I can use fully automatic heavy machine guns for work but can't own a Lee Enfield but military members are a super tiny minority.
"On the edge of destiny, you must test your strength"
- Air Marshal Billy Bishop

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:58 pm

The funny thing here in the US is that, when there was a problem with people flying the new drones into places, the FAA was quick to pass laws restricting and licensing their use. Toys. The restrictions made some sense, i.e. you should not fly into controlled airspace, but were in place within a year. All RC pilots had to obtain a license and install their unique number on anything they flew. Again, toys.
I realize the risk of one colliding with an airliner would be significant, but it has not happened yet. Instead, we have multiple shootings almost every month and people keep dying.
I own guns but would be all for licensing and training requirements. That, and liability requirements, would go a long way towards keeping them out of the hands of people who should not have them. Unfortunately, here we wait until after a shooting to look at reasons why the shooter should not have had the gun.
Rant over.
Image Howdy Ya'll!