Politics and other garbage thread

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Jammy

Politics and other garbage thread

Post by Jammy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:45 am

This video I found depicts my view on fire arms pretty well. It is a salty topic, but i'm ears for opinions and thoughts on both sides of the argument.

Also, I shall assume that Wheatons Law will suffice to keep things civil
I do like to shoot down planes yes I do

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Re: Politics and other garbage thread

Post by Dickie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:41 pm

My go.

Nobody likes a Tory

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:36 pm

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Spectre

Post by Spectre » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:55 pm

(Before I begin, im at work and can't see Jammys video so if I am totally out in left field could someone paraphrase the video?)

Guns are fun.

Guns are also dangerous.

Guns should be hard to obtain and should have a lot of restrictions due to the nature of their operation and intended use.

To be completely legit here, Switzerland knows whats up and is a sign that people can own firearms without having mass shootings every other Friday - even in Canada with our restrictions gun violence is still an issue but its per capita still not as extreme as our southern neighbors. Gun violence in my opinion isn't directly correlated with how many guns are available, but with society as a whole. Guns are just the best weapon to use in most crime related situations, and in some areas so easy to obtain that people arm themselves because the other person owns one and they feel threatened. In the United States and Canada we need to focus on better mental health and crime prevention methods instead of just locking people up *after* they commit a crime.
"On the edge of destiny, you must test your strength"
- Air Marshal Billy Bishop

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:15 pm

Living in Texas, it will come as no surprise that there are a lot of people with guns here. I personally own guns and grew up hunting pheasant with my father. That said, I never viewed guns as a toy and always was taught to keep them safe. I have noticed that guns here are now more of a "toy" with people wanting to wear them into stores, carry them down the street or take them to crowds during political protests. That shift has occurred within the past 10 years and goes directly counter to every lesson I ever had about using guns. I have friends that have silenced semi-automatic rifles just because they can. Not for hunting or anything else, although they claim it is always for "home defense." I personally view a lot of this as an erosion of our social order. The people who want to carry guns everywhere say they want it for personal safety. They imagine threats from various different directions. But, what I believe they are really saying, is that they do not trust the government, the police or the community to protect them. It erodes the respect for the political system in general, which I think has a lot to do with who is currently running our country.
With so many guns and so many ways to buy them in an unrestricted way, people who never had access to them now do. This has to be part of the problem in my view. A potentially bad analogy is the impact easy-to-fly drones have had on the RC aircraft hobby. I also do that, well I used to before ACG and work demands, and crashed more than a few planes along the way. Doing so, taught me to be careful and to respect when and where I flew, i.e. high winds, tight spaces. The investment was worth protecting and the learning curve required you to understand what was necessary to be safe. Along come drones that anyone can operate and suddenly we have idiots flying them into controlled airspace or over crowds. Without learning the respect for the machine, it is used in "disrespectful" ways.
I think something needs to be done to address this. Just relying on individuals - who may be disturbed, mentally ill or just plain immature - is simply not working here. I'm not really interested in giving up my own guns, sort of like I did not like the new rules governing RC aircraft, but I recognize the current scheme is ultimately going to led to more and more deaths.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Shadepiece

Post by Shadepiece » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Very insightful, Tex. I believe you summed up a lot of how I feel as well.

Bones

Post by Bones » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:05 am

Last edited by Bones on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:31 am

It would be interesting to see the figures for gun ownership over those ten years you mention, Tex. If they reflect a similar increase to that you've seen in publicly carried weapons, then I suspect it's going to be a very uphill struggle. The major issue will be that the guns are in circulation, and getting them back out will prove difficult. I think so much depends on the individual country's national psyche - here we just don't feel we need guns to protect ourselves from anyone. For all the huffing and puffing, people in general still trust the police and government to not be arseholes. People are definitely more concerned there aren't enough police to deal with current crime, so maybe that will change. Your situation seems to much more buried in your past, and it also feels as though that's been played on by certain sections of your society - for why I have no idea. Was the great shift a post 9/11 reaction do you think? Or also a post-social media where people realise they're not the only ones feeling as they do, therefore making a mass-movement more realistic and acceptable?

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:20 pm

My sense of it here is that much of it is purely political. When Obama was first in office there were Tea Party protests where people showed up with their guns. That was the first time in my memory that I recall seeing that happen. It really stood out. During his administration, I felt there was a big increase in gun talk. In Texas, there were suddenly groups roaming around carrying their guns into restaurants and grocery stores. Again, something I was never accustomed to seeing. We now have a weird conspiracy believing group. They range from folks who talk about “deep state”take overs to others that think the earth is flat. (Believe it or not, that group really exists.) and gun ownership seems to go hand in hand with this.
I agree that the cat is out of the bag. I personally would be in no hurry to hand in my own guns, some of which are family heirlooms. And the logistics of it would be incredibly hard to pull off.
We have a culture here where if you want something, Amazon can deliver it in hours. The same is true for guns and there are already reports of people buying up AR15s and bump stocks. I personally don’t understand it.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Kildren

Post by Kildren » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:02 pm

Tex wrote:My sense of it here is that much of it is purely political. When Obama was first in office there were Tea Party protests where people showed up with their guns. That was the first time in my memory that I recall seeing that happen. It really stood out. During his administration, I felt there was a big increase in gun talk. In Texas, there were suddenly groups roaming around carrying their guns into restaurants and grocery stores. Again, something I was never accustomed to seeing. We now have a weird conspiracy believing group. They range from folks who talk about “deep state”take overs to others that think the earth is flat. (Believe it or not, that group really exists.) and gun ownership seems to go hand in hand with this.
I agree that the cat is out of the bag. I personally would be in no hurry to hand in my own guns, some of which are family heirlooms. And the logistics of it would be incredibly hard to pull off.
We have a culture here where if you want something, Amazon can deliver it in hours. The same is true for guns and there are already reports of people buying up AR15s and bump stocks. I personally don’t understand it.
Out of curiosity would you agree with a semi automatic assault rifle ban and the like? and deactivation of your heirloom ones but you get to keep them?

Speak to me about joining the ACG Pilots Union