New Recruit - Mikey

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Firefly
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Re: New Recruit - Mikey

Post by Firefly » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:26 am

Thanks for the welcome guys!
As a Hurricane Enthusiast I was probably looking to join No.32 or No.501.
I think I have e learned almost all I can learn on my own and with Pathfinder. I would love to express my gratitude to OneBad and Biggs for helping me get on my feet or metaphorically "in the air" with formation flying. Thanks to pathfinder I have set up my Hurricane with the correct convergences and some red tracers to help me figure out where exactly I am aiming since knowing my luck I can be kissing Jerry's tailfin and still miss ;).
When everyone left just now I thought I would take up the 109 for a quick spin, and okay i admit it's easier to fly. For the first glorious 30 seconds before I blow the engine.
All I need to do is find some birds to dunk in the channel and head for home to hopefully another warm welcome just like tonight. I here Thursday night I may also get my wings and be assigned to my squadron. So I can't wait, despite having a few questions. Biggs and OneBad may know what I mean. But all skins seem to be the same. Now, i know the Red Tails movie was about the Tuskegee airmen, but they had their nicknames printed on their planes to personalise and make them unique from each other. Is that a thing on ACG? Think that would be great.
In reply to Dickie, I haven't managed to take up the 110 yet. And to be perfectly honest. I'm scared of flying it. Beautiful plane nonetheless but no experience in it whatsoever. At least in my 2009-present IL2 experience, I have managed to rack up thousands of hours in the Hurricane.

Again thanks to all of you guys for the amazing welcome and the best first day.
My gratitude goes out to all. Johnny, Biggs, OneBad, Luke, Pathfinder. I owe you lot especially. Hopefully I can do you proud above the clouds. And I'll try not to end up 6 feet under within the first 5 minutes :)

A great salute.
:salute:

Mikey (please_insert_squadron_here)

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:46 am

Well, rule number #1: Never mention Red Tails here. We don't talk about that film. To further answer your questions, we like to keep things historically acurate, so average seargents won't have nosearts, names or anything like that on them. You will be given a skin with your aircrafts markings and serial number (it's gonna be your own skin, nobody else will have the same one), but after some time your sqn leader will propably agree for a subtle nose-art, as long is something historically acurate and not an Apple logo.

Also, you're doing great for a newcomer, two weeks and you'll be shooting Jerry left right and center.

Nev

Post by Nev » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:03 am

Welcome to ACG mate :nice: and for the last bit lets hope not too much ehhh :salute:

Always above, seldom on the same level, never underneath.

- Edward Mannock 73 victories

Firefly
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Post by Firefly » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:14 am

Lol okay. Well. Looks like I got some practicing to do. People say I would get accepted anyway. But what's the point in not trying to be your best for your first flight? If might be annoying for some people if I'm struggling to keep formation etc.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:06 am

Nose art is like a tattoo. If you want to be different, don't get one.

Firefly
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Post by Firefly » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:06 am

I will keep that in mind. Thanks again. I might practice some more formation flying tonight or see a bit of combat on the ACG Server.
I apologise if I offended anyone by mentioning Red Tails.

:salute:

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:29 pm

With 170-odd people you're bound to offend someone somewhere. In fact, if you don't offend someone, you're doing something wrong :D

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Firefly
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Post by Firefly » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:02 pm

Wow lol. I might stay out the way then xD

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:41 pm

Don't get me wrong - you'd be hard pushed to really offend anyone here - we're all growed up :lol:

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm not :hi:
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.