meeting a hero

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Kevin01041961

meeting a hero

Post by Kevin01041961 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:53 am

Hi, I would like to add a story that happened to me a few years ago while I was at work, ive worked for BT/Openreach as a engineer and now planner for 37 yrs, while I was engineering you know climbing poles fitting phones etc I had the privilege of meeting a remarkable man.
I had a job in Holmfirth to install a phone the man who met me at the door was old bent over and to say the least frail, while working in the home and general chit chat I noticed on the walls lots of photos of WW11 aircraft, on closer inspection I noticed photos of famous pilots long since gone Bader, tuck and a few more that although had flying gear on I had no idea who they were, the elderly man now invigorated by my interest began to talk about his career as a pilot who had flown spits , hurricanes and typhoons , although he was to late for the Battle of Britain he had flew many sorties over France and the low countries , it came to be that he was a Canadian who had flown with Bader and showed photos of proof as well as many many more, His conversation was riveting and although work called to do more of what I was supposed to be doing I sat had tea and loads of stories told of his exploits.
Well the story ends there really , not much of a story really but the fact remains that in our society we have now these "FEW" are getting fewer and its a sad day when these stories will be lost forever.
I just wanted to share this with you I apologies if its not the done thing , we play a great game which I enjoy they played for far higher stakes liberty freedom and their own lives were on the line.

My thanks for reading if in fact you do my ramblings of meeting a latter day hero :blah:

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Re: meeting a hero

Post by Ginger » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:26 pm

Nice one Kev.
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Paddy

Post by Paddy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:57 am

Did you offer to keep in touch, you could have documented his stories for him/his family?
Cheers,

Paddy
Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway, we salute you

Kevin01041961

Post by Kevin01041961 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:06 pm

I did visit after work for several months, it was always a pleasure and the stories although sometimes repeated I never was bored, he spoke of friendship comrades and the past, he never reflected on combat although he would go into great details of aircraft flown, eventually his daughter intervened by taking him to some god awful nursing home in the midlands where he could end his days, I wasn't welcome as she said he always became upset after my visits? he passed away 3 years ago at a ripe old age, ive asked repeatedly if the logs photos etc were saved but I never had a reply. so a sad end to another of our heroes .