Absolutely love this game... but don't have any KIT to play it...! Any friends in London?

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Re: Absolutely love this game... but don't have any KIT to play it...! Any friends in London?

Post by Dickie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:42 pm

No only joking.

BBC using Macs, tossers. They give good money to that evil super-rich cult, I expect it was the trendy "anti-MS" thing to do once.

We can have a scoot about and see how check you could make a PC that'll do the flying job. Do you have anything there already such as Monitor (or a TV you could HDMi connect to)? It might be that we give you a minimum spec and you look on ebay/gumtree, you can link to possibles if you are unsure yourself. The main thing is 8Gb RAM and a reasonable video card. You can get a flight stick for £25 ish.

Grumpy
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Adjutant

Re: Absolutely love this game... but don't have any KIT to play it...! Any friends in London?

Post by Grumpy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:55 pm

PatchBod wrote: I suppose I'll have to buy a computer and joystick and start from the bottom. 200 quid would get the basics right, but then I'm sure I wouldn't have any of these cool patches to make it look amazing (is that what they're called?) and I'd have to spend ages saving up for good kit, and then hours and hours getting shot out of the sky by people like you. Seems like a long way away off.
The "patches" are fixes to bring the game up to a playable level and are free. We don't use add-ons, so once you've got a decent rig, you're all set. A PC and a joystick are all that's required, though most of us find that having a head tracker, like TrackIR, is a game changer. But there are ways (discussed here on the forum) by which you can get/make one on the cheap. As for getting shot out of the sky, that's what we do here; it happens to us all. But you'll find this to be a very helpful and friendly crowd, who are very welcoming of beginners.
PatchBod wrote:Jokes aside, who is this Sharpe person and is he in London....?
That is on a strictly need-to-know basis. ;)

Cheers :salute:
Grumpy
Adjutant, No. 111 (Fighter) Squadron. Adstantes

Nor law nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds.
A lonely impulse of delight
Led to this tumult in the clouds

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:24 pm

Grumpy wrote:That is on a strictly kneel-to-know basis. ;)

Grumpy
Fixed it for you Grumpy :D

Macs eh? They really need to get into the 21st century ;) Good luck in getting the kit together though - it'll be worth it, this is addictive! :nice:

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Grumpy
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Adjutant

Post by Grumpy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:07 pm

Bunny wrote:
Grumpy wrote:That is on a strictly kneel-to-know basis. ;)

Grumpy
Fixed it for you Grumpy :D
:lol:
Adjutant, No. 111 (Fighter) Squadron. Adstantes

Nor law nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds.
A lonely impulse of delight
Led to this tumult in the clouds

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Can newer macs run Cliffs of Dover? I don't know much about apple hardware, but if the graphics card is good enough it might be an option to just buy windows10 and install it as a secondary operating system.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Get a PC. It would be cheaper than a GPU designed for Apple.

Smokejumper

Post by Smokejumper » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:31 pm

PatchBod wrote:Hi everyone.

I'm totally in love with this game - watch the videos of you playing it on Youtube... but I don't have the space or any of the kit to play it! I'm so busy with my work (I'm a 30 year old film maker, mostly documentaries, with the BBC)... in fact I don't even own a PC, so the leap towards actually getting everything I need to play this game is huge.

BUT I'm dying to give it a go.

Does anyone with the right kit live in London and if I provided beers / spliffs / yummy food / anything at all you would like, as compensation, you be up for having a friend come over and watch you playing it, and give it a go?

This is a strange request, I know... but it would actually make my whole year.

I'm not mad, honest.
Thanks all
Patch

Jaydog was like you. Wanted to play so bad he bought a PC and a flight setup. All for Cliffs. It's worth it. The game is fun and the community is something special.

Second hand is a good option. I fly with an old used joystick myself. I do because it's the best stick ever and they don't make it anymore but it is a cheaper option if you dig.
A second hand PC at a shop is quite cheap and if it is new enough easy to upgrade video cards or add RAM.

Good luck and welcome.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Looks like our pal loved it for about a week.....

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:52 am

God I hope I don't end up like that poor devil.

I heading down to pick up a used set of CH gear, fighter stick, throttle, and pedals on Friday. Fear not... I'm still here boys. Step at a time.

Shadepiece

Post by Shadepiece » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:28 am

Glad to hear you're still moving towards the end goal here! Hope you keep us up to date.