Set up........

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Hubbs17

Set up........

Post by Hubbs17 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:46 am

Question(s)

I have my eyeball on the Warthog joystick. It looks very cool, and most people that use it say great things. Yes/No.
Also, are people using the mouse during flight? Is it necessary I suppose is my question. However I do see about 1000 buttons and switches on this warthog joystick that I am sure would be programmable for most things??
Also....... The track IR wow!!! Looks like a cool feature to add to a home cockpit. Yes?

Hubbs

Onebad

Re: Set up........

Post by Onebad » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:17 am

TrickIR is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more important than super expensive stick. As a Warthog user I will have to say that if I had to choose I'd 100% take a cheap stick and TrackIR rather than Warthog and lack of TrackIR - situational awareness is good pilots no.1 tool and TrackIR give you just that. So I'd say that if you have the buck then purchase both, as Warthog is definitely worth the money, but if your amount of disposable income is not there just yet then go for TrackIR and a cheaper stick - Thrustmaster T.1600M is cheap and really, really good for the price and also has twist if you dont have the pedals I think.

2nd question - mouse while flying is good to check/click some stuff but is in no way gonna replace the TrackIR's natural movement if you think of using it to look around.

Hubbs17

Post by Hubbs17 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:09 am

TrackIR it is!!! I think I need to send away for this though. Can not find it here in Ottawa. Crypes, computer monitor joystick pedals track IR, I just took care of Christmas for the next 10 yrs

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:19 am

Welcome to flight sims, just wait til' you see the prices of avaiable software mate. DCS modules, FSX, X-Plane, and the list just goes and goes. You'll have enough stuff to buy for your grandchildren to pay for.

Miek

Post by Miek » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:27 am

I just want to echo what Onebad said. I'm a Warthog owner as well, but TrackIR was way more of an improvement. I actually stopped using the Warthog for WW2 sims (too stiff for constantly fighting roll torque) and went back to using the T16000M FCS (which is about 110 bucks give or take). The FCS has a Rudder built onto the throttle if you don't want to buy pedals, though I can't imagine flying without pedals these days.

IMO there are better choices for your money than the Warthog, especially now that Virpil and VKB are buzzing about. Never discount CH Products as well. Also, there may be some folk around willing to sell old kit.

There are some other options for headtracking but I can't speak to them. I use TrackIR with the hatclip and it works like a charm.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:29 am

Thirded. My Warthog is nice, but TrackIR* is essential.

*or indeed other forms of headtracking.
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:58 am

I have been using the DelanClip. Absolute bargain at £35.99. Initially it took a bit of fiddling with and a bit of trial and error to get it set the way i wanted but now it's sorted to my own preference i couldn't imagine flying without it. http://www.delanengineering.com/
Professional manchild

HotLunch

Post by HotLunch » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:40 pm

https://www.amazon.ca/Trackir-professio ... B0029M6VKA

She's not cheap bud. Worth it though. The Delan Clip is a great option but ordering from the UK is a bit of a pain.
More vodka Comrade!

Coopes
Major
Major
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Coopes » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Us pros use a keyboard and mouse!

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:59 pm

You can also get the Extreme 3D Pro joystick for $30-35. It has everything you need as a starter stick, and for a lil more you can get the Thrustmaster. I personally like the 3D Pro and have been using it since I started. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto. TrackIR is a must. I won't fly without it.

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal