joysticks

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Schleprock

joysticks

Post by Schleprock » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:10 am

I am currently looking at joysticks and trying to pick the correct one. Any suggestions? Are the twist grips what I want?

Schmuck

Re: joysticks

Post by Schmuck » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:17 am

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:59 am

You'll definitely need some sort of rudder control, and a twist grip is a lot cheaper than separate rudder pedals so it's a good starting point. Never used the 16000 myself, but I've lots of good things about it so I'd second Schmuck's suggestion :nice:
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:52 am

I’ve just purchased a T16000M joystick and throttle and it’s brilliant. Most definitely recommended. I would advise getting rudder pedals. I’m a ham fisted oaf who throws his aircraft around the sky rather than flying it and when I was using twist grip for rudder control I kept inadvertently twisting the joystick when I didn’t need/want to. It could become extremely frustrating especially when dogfighting but as Broadsword mentioned above twist grip is cheaper than separate rudder pedals. It depends what budget you have and what you are willing to spend.

Here is the link to the T16000M flight pack which includes joystick, throttle and rudder pedals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T ... ds=t16000m

:nice:
Professional manchild

Maltloaf
Location: Salisbury Plain, birthplace of British military aviation.

Post by Maltloaf » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:17 pm

Someone has just put a Cougar on ebay, it is old and not as good as the Warthog but may go cheap. I believe he has another two to sell after that. Some bloke called Maltloaf2012. However, having just noticed you live in the States, ignore that as they weigh in at 7kg!

I would definately buy some pedals, they are fairly essential IMHO. Twist grips are, as Jonesy says, attached to the thing you yank around for pitch and roll, add yaw to that and it all goes fairly badly.

If budget is a real issue, Thrustmaster Flight-T X HOTAS seem to go for peanuts ($50) and they have twist grip and/or rudder on the throttle.
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:43 pm

I'm sorting out what gear to get, and I intend to use rudder pedals. I don't need or want the twist stick. My question is... Is there a lock on the 1600 to keep it from twisting so it's not too lose, or should I look for i different stick?

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:19 am

Dunno, but normally you pay more for fewer features but higher quality, eg Warthog, has no twist. But I don't think twist is a problem tbh if you don't have it bound up. The main reason for the 16000 is that it uses the same hall sensor tech as the high end warthog. Ie it's quality.

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Well I guess if I have it disabled and use rudder pedals, a little wiggle won't hurt if I get used to it. So many choices... I'll do more research.

Carbs

Post by Carbs » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:01 am

I have a T16000M and it's great.

I don't have pedals and use the twist for rudder, but it's cost me potential kills when my panic-stricken yanks on the stick apply inadvertent rudder as well. Recently I've avoided that by changing rudder control to two keys (full left and right rudder respectively), and using the hat switch to apply rudder trim.

Seems to work quite well - easy to trim rudder in flight, no inadvertent rudder input when I'm over-excited; and at take-off and landing a quick dab on the appropriate key is enough to keep straight.

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:39 pm

I did use the hat for rudders and it was fairly easy to control, but the best thing about the pedals is that you get your whole body into it... sort of like skiing... and it's one less thing to think about doing with your hands.