starting from scratch

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

starting from scratch

Post by Kit Pepper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:10 am

Greetings,
I recently watched Sorcerer Dave’s “An Introduction to the ACG” on Youtube and I must say I was hooked from the start. I flew with EAW a long time ago, but never with real pilots. This is what I have been looking for. ACG is the real deal and I want to join!
Growing up an Air Force brat, I have always dreamed of what it must have been like to be an airman during WW2. To be in the cockpit and feel the thrill of a dogfight against real opponents in an air campaign is something I never thought was possible till I saw what the ACG is doing. I want to get to it as soon as I can and I want to do it right.
Here’s my dilemma… I’m not equipped yet to to begin. I am going to buy a new PC soon and want to get the right specs (I also need to buy the game). Is there a comprehensive list of what I should get? Also what internet requirements do I need for the game and Teamspeak, etc? I’m a complete beginner to internet gaming, so I would appreciate any help to get me started. It would be great if there was a complete list of what I need to do to get from from complete caveman to being in the cockpit ready to go. Is there such a link ?
Salut,
Kit

Kildren

Re: starting from scratch

Post by Kildren » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:31 am

If you know how to build computers I can give you a parts list or otherwise you can just link pre built computers here and I can tell you which one to go with :) + along as you arent on dial up or mobile internet your connection should be fine

Speak to me about joining the ACG Pilots Union

Zyk

Post by Zyk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:37 am

hi. i am not one of the 'people is charge', but, ACG is kinda in transition....we were doing 'cliffs of dover' campaign missions, and some updates 'upset the applecart'. there seem to be some problems that are hopefully being 'worked out' with our campaign. but it seems the talk is switching to, or running at the same time 'il-2 sturmovik: battle of moscow', on the russian front. the computer requirements are about the same for 'cliffs' and 'moscow', here is one site with requirements.....

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/c ... scow/15836

you will also want a decent joystick and pedals. depends on your finances....i suggest a 'ch products' joy, at least. i also suggest 'ch products' pedals, very durable, but many of the guys go with much more expensive pedals....

http://www.chproducts.com/

here is a link to download teamspeak 3...
https://www.teamspeak.com/downloads

teamspeak address is: 85.236.100.27:16317
you just need any cheap mic to talk, and set up as 'press key/button to talk'....

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:15 am

Welcome to ACG, Kit :salute:

As Zyk says, we are currently on hiatus from the main campaign whilst the powers that be iron out a few issues with the latest version of the game. The good news is that a) they've been looking at this for several weeks now so we're hoping to resume soon, and b) there's still a lot of flying going on every week anyway, either as part of the testing or just for the sheer joy of kicking Jerry's teeth in :D (Success not guaranteed. Other Air Forces are available. Offer void in North Korea)

Hopefully by the time you've got your kit sorted out, Kit, we'll be back in full swing anyway :nice: In the meantime the other useful thing to look at is some form of head-tracking device - you certainly don't need this to get started; the game is quite flyable without it, but most pilots agree that when you step up to using head-tracking it makes a colossal difference to the feeling of immersion and your ability to actually dogfight well :joyman: The simplest way to get head-tracking is probably to buy a gizmo called TrackIR, but it's also pretty expensive and there are some decent, cheaper alternatives out there (EDTracker, TrackHat, DelanClip with FaceTrackNoir, FreeTrack, OpenTrack etc etc.) Somebody with more knowledge on the subject can probably tell you which versions are currently considered the best/cheapest.

Anyway, welcome aboard, Kit, and we'll see you up in the blue :salute:
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:07 pm

Looks like this is under control, cheers lads.

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:01 pm

Thank you Gentlemen, this information is very helpful and takes some of the confusion away. First step for me is to buy the new PC. My old one blew up and I'm on a crappy laptop that just won't cut it. It's time for a new rig anyway, and this is my incentive to get a good one. Unfortunately my old car just needed brakes and on a musicians income it cut into my budget. No worries though... The new PC is coming. I do have my old Thrustmaster pedals and my old Logitec 'force feedback' joystick, but they are probably not compatible with the new gear that's out. And, I difinately want to get the TrackIR. I did use the hat for looking around, but it was tricky. I'll get everything I need updated in short order. This will give you all at the ACG time to sort out the new systems and campaigns.
To answer your question Zyk, I live in New Hampshire, EST, same time zone as you. And FO Broadsword, I appreciate your spirit! I always fancied myself as a Yank in the RAF, flying a Spit... doing my bit for freedom... although Zyk, I admit that I really liked flying the 109 when I was on EAW. But I'm willing to go where I'm needed, on any type of aircraft available and do my duty. As for the Russians... I know next to nothing about their aircraft or tactics. But I'm willing to learn.
I want to thank everyone for making me feel welcome. I'm looking forward to getting in the skies to join up as soon as possible. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions in the future.
Salut,
Kit

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:23 am

Russian tactics were basically, "There's your aeroplane, GO or be shot".

Your joystick etc will be fine, but if you are on a budget then you could save on the TrackIR and get an alternative. This might mean some home handywork but if you are used to opening up the guitar to clean out dirty pots, or replacing pickups, changing strings, then you will cope.

When it comes to buying aPC check in with us so we can give best bang for buck advise.

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Thanks for the info Dickie... This is all very helpful. I am making progress. The new PC will be the major purchase, but in the meantime my nerdy brother just got a new top of the line PC for his "Witches and Warcraft" or some such silly fantasy game he plays on line, and he has agreed to loan me his old PC. This should be good enough to get me started till I have the funds to get a suitable rig.

I dug out my old gear from my closet (cupboard) and dusted them off. The Thrustmaster rudder pedals might still work, but the old Logitec Wingman joy stick is pretty beat and I'll need to replace that. I noticed that Thrustmaster has a nice 3 piece kit... stick, throttle, and pedals, at a reasonable price. I have also been looking at the Delan Clip for tracking... it looks like it will be right for the job. I'm open to any advice or recommendations for getting started, so thanks to everyone for the help.

Question... what will become of the squadrons if the game goes to the Russian front? Will new squadrons be introduced? Will there be a "draft" for the Russian Air Force, or volunteers, or just.. "There's your aeroplane, GO or be shot"... and get shot down. What little I have read about the eastern front is that everything was low and balls to the walls. Didn't Stalin say, "it takes a very brave man NOT to be a hero in the Soviet army." ?

In the meanwhile, I'm thoroughly enjoying the ACG videos on Youtube! The more I watch the more eager I am to get started. I do realize that this will be a lot harder flight model than EAW was, so I'll need a lot of training before I'm thrown to the wolves.

As for who I'll fly with, I haven't decided, but I'm willing to go where I'm needed on any old crate that might be available.

Salut,
Kit

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Welcome Kit,

Just having set up the DelanClip for my lad to use in DCS, I have to say - buy it. I bought the PS3 Eye/DelanClip 'Gamer' bundle from them and it's as good as the TrackIR5 I run myself, I feel. I just installed OpenTrack (free) and DCS saw the DelanClip with no bother. An hour fumbling with the various controls got something decent from it.

http://www.delanengineering.com/

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:47 am

A few unanswerable questions on organisation. We haven't decided but we are unlikely to force people into crates of death, there are a lot of things we are still figuring out but suffice it to say that we'll make a great job of it :)