Push to talk / Voice activation

Anything and everything to do with Teamspeak goes in here.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Push to talk / Voice activation

Post by Dickie » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:12 pm

Our Polish friends want to do more Polish chit chat and have asked about enabling voice activation. I have said that we haven't deliberately disabled this but I do not know how to enable it. Can a TS expert please comment? Can we get it running for them?

Personally I'm not a fan, often there's someone with the TV on in the background, or music, or arguments with the wife - I can do without these interruptions.

Geordie

Re: Push to talk / Voice activation

Post by Geordie » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:17 pm

Could we turn it on only for their TS room?
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:24 pm

I'd like to know if we can turn it on at all first.....

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:36 pm

It looks like you may be able to according to this thread? But I've never seen a TS server install.

http://forum.teamspeak.com/threads/6106 ... alk-server

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Kildren

Post by Kildren » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:15 pm

You can set it up so that we all have it or that only a certain server group has it for example on the ts I run all registered members to the website have the permission to use either ptt or voice activation which ever one they choose while non registered have to use ptt

Speak to me about joining the ACG Pilots Union

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:20 pm

I'm not a fan of voice activation in general. But I can think of some more scenarios where it comes in handy. For example shared cockpit flights in FSX/P3D, something that might happen in the future in our group as well.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Macnihilist

Post by Macnihilist » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:40 pm

They can get the behavior they want without changes to the server (for almost all practical purposes).
In the TS options check "Voice Activation Detection while using Push-To-Talk", but don't assign a hotkey to PTT. Instead, click "Set more hotkeys" (which brings you to the Hotkeys rider) and assign "T (up)" to "Disable Local Mic Mute" and "M (down)" to "Enable Local Mix Mute". Releasing "T" will then be like "PTT held down" for TS and pressing "M" will be like "PTT released". You hit (press/release) "T" once and then talk with VAD until you hit "M".
Obviously you can replace T and M by your favorite keys (combos).
I use this as a "toggle-to-talk" thing on servers that enforce PTT, so I don't have to hold down a key all the time for idle chit chat.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:37 pm

Kildren wrote:You can set it up so that we all have it or that only a certain server group has it for example on the ts I run all registered members to the website have the permission to use either ptt or voice activation which ever one they choose while non registered have to use ptt

^^^^ This would be ideal.

Just read Machi's post there, worth a go at that too but we don't want any open mics from it.

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:09 pm

How does it work if they want to talk to Ground Control - will they still need PTT to access whisper groups outside their own channel?

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Pitti

Post by Pitti » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:41 pm

I've already disabled the push to talk need on the Polish channel only on Monday. One of them ask me to do so and said you allowed it Kuntz.

I'm not a fan of this as well but as it is only on this channel I can live with it.