Tobruk "what's it like?" thread

Founding grounds of ACG.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Sylmaron

Re: Tobruk "what's it like?" thread

Post by Sylmaron » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:31 am

SOW Reddog wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:43 am
100% of clod uses steam. That's not true of BoX. So the numbers aren't necessarily reflective.
Ahh wasn't aware of that, don't own BoX myself. Still average player numbers being up by 100% is not bad.
Sure its not a blockbuster but hopefully its enough for them to continue. Theres no other flight sim doing anything like what theyre doing and i want them to do a proper bomber like a lancaster or b17... :fap:

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:33 am

:lol: ....It's 100% pure entertainment here at ACG is'nt it ?.....I've got to admire your sense of humour Sylmaron...... :nice:

ATAG Pattle

Post by ATAG Pattle » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:21 pm

HI all,

We are not in a position to release details on sales. Overall reviews of the games have been very positive.

The single player base appears much greater than the on line scene.

The community is the judge, and when we buy games, we make it what we want to make of it. Any game for some is the best game ever, yet the same game could be total crap for another.

I respect both sides of that one. Been there, done that. What I don't get, and this is the joy of the social media space we have now is that some people go out of their way to be negative about a product (any product) for reasons outside of the product itself, potentially hurting sales. Then jump on a soapbox and bang on about how player numbers or sales figures are not what they were expecting.

Would it be great to see ACG run a desert campaign - Bloody oath! But that is a decision for you guys.

Tobruk has a lot to offer. Hope to see ACG campaign in the future.

Sylmaron

Post by Sylmaron » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:27 am

Meaker wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:33 am
:lol: ....It's 100% pure entertainment here at ACG is'nt it ?.....I've got to admire your sense of humour Sylmaron...... :nice:
Sure its probably a pipe dream, but man i think it really would be a hit if they did a bomber module with a b17 or lancaster in the quality they have. I guess the map would be the hard part to make big enough to make sense but it really would be excellent and there is literally nothing else remotely like that... thats the dream.

If they modelled the aircraft systems in enough detail, i reckon youd get heaps of civ sim guys jumping in to fly a big old bomber for sure.

Sylmaron

Post by Sylmaron » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:43 am

ATAG Pattle wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:21 pm
I respect both sides of that one. Been there, done that. What I don't get, and this is the joy of the social media space we have now is that some people go out of their way to be negative about a product (any product) for reasons outside of the product itself, potentially hurting sales. Then jump on a soapbox and bang on about how player numbers or sales figures are not what they were expecting.
agreed mate, don't think I'll ever understand the logic of writing a negative steam review quickly after release and recommending that people dont buy a game, then complaining that not enough people are playing the game for your liking... all the while playing the game regularly and checking the steam charts every single day....... huh?......

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:53 am

One of the reasons, but guaranteed not the only reason, is that you get things like this (words are ATAG Pattle's):
Updates for Core and Blitz 5.0
*** AI: Vehicle spacing increased. The BestSpace value for all ground vehicles was too small (two lengths) and has been doubled. This results in fewer collisions and less accordioning. Also code to maneuver around obstacles etc. now works correctly.
*** AI: Vehicles now staying on roads and crossing bridges. Please read the FMB manual’s guidelines on how to set vehicles’ paths correctly. Also note: Now that vehicles behave correctly, problems surface we did not have when they behaved incorrectly. Especially with bridges. Many bridges on the Channel Map were broken originally and never repaired.
But the reality is this:

So if, let's say, I read that info and got super excited about CloD again after years since one of the pesky limitations of that game was repaired, and got excited about making a Tobruk desert campaign for, let's say, an online group of pals, and I got everyone I knew to buy the DLC (at what is more than the price of many full games mind you) so that they could play it, and then I got building my campaign and experienced the reality, it would probably royally cheese me off.

And yes, I'm pretty sure Mysticpuma knows how to use the FMB and would have done exactly as prescribed for 'best results'. And let's be honest here, if this is happening on a seemingly endlessly straight road in a featureless desert with no obstacles, well....

So if you're really searching for a reason why there are annoyed people out there, false advertising is as good a reason as any.

One example not enough?

'OnBuildingDestroyed' code. "Fixed!" in Blitz they said! I got excited and I reinstalled, and I got my server prep'd to run a campaign I had designed using that code (but couldn't since it was broken) and it was all for nothing because it was a false bill of goods. I did one test mission and it wasn't fixed at all. There was absolutely no change in the function from the last 1C build before TFS members even touched it. Now if I'd paid $89.99 for it (current price for Tobruk for me on Steam)? I would be livid.

And you know what? As of today, this is still in the feature notes for Blitz 4.56:
OnBuildingDestroyed() is now correctly called in multiplayer when a building is destroyed.
Bonus fact: OnBuildingDestroyed() isn't even a valid function in the game. OnBuildingKilled() is the actual function. They clarified the correct code in the feature notes thread...just never bothered to update the feature notes. Not that it matters since it doesn't work.

ATAG Oskar outlines the function in the thread when the question is put to TFS about which is the correct function call:
Public Overridable Sub OnBuildingKilled
Some people are a lot less diplomatic about their annoyance. Reddog and others clearly aren't looking to make nice about it and if you had more of the story you'd understand more about why they have an axe to grind, but you don't have to know it. If you are at all objective about this, the above two examples don't look good on TFS and ignoring stuff like that or washing it away, well, I don't think I'll ever understand the logic behind that.
Virtual No.401 Squadron - XO

Sylmaron

Post by Sylmaron » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:39 am

I think its very dramatic to say that a few bugs still being present constitutes "false advertising", annoying? definitely. But somehow indicative of malicious false advertising? come on... I dont think anything like that is reason for reddogs scathing reply to a tfs member in this thread where he implied that tfs member should be embarassed... like onebad said, that is insane Xbox live teenager behavior.

Like i said earlier in the thread, this is not ea games pumping out piles of shit with enormous budgets. I watched the interview tfs just posted and most of them have never even been in the same country apparently. I work in IT and i know how difficult it is in the same room, let alone globally. I dont know what personal issues some guys around here have but TFS does not seem to me like they are screwing people over... that attitude seems to come from these ""personal issues""

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:44 am

I completely concur Wolverine 100%......this is where it's at,this is the reality of it.....sadly,.and it is why there was no way on earth I was going to ship out the daft $89.99 for it.

It's very apparent to most of us that all the effort in creating this update was spent on the content,which is superb,no one is denying that.However,when you have an Ai that has aircraft barrelling into the ground (see my video) from an earlier reply,or vehicles that can't even stick to a straight line on a featureless open road,as Wolverine's video clearly displays,you can see it for what it is.....it's all fur coat and no knickers !

You say Pattle that you completely agree, SP is a big deal for a large (the majority?) of players........so then why oh why has the Ai been so neglected in the grand scheme of things ?.....it's just terrible.

I have'nt left any negative reviews on Steam either,for your information.....you only had to read those reviews to realise the calamitous state this has arrived in.Wolverine's video and explanation just back this up.

Do I have an axe to grind ?......maybe,I was looking forward to this after all.........am I a lemming daft enough to purchase this 'masterpiece of madness' ?......not bloody likely :lol:

Boyezee

Post by Boyezee » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:04 am

ATAG Pattle wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:21 pm

I respect both sides of that one. Been there, done that. What I don't get, and this is the joy of the social media space we have now is that some people go out of their way to be negative about a product (any product) for reasons outside of the product itself, potentially hurting sales.
I can imagine that is frustrating but on the flip side I see quite a few of the positive reviews on Steam are from TF and ATAG members, who are hardly going to be objective based on the quality of the product.

At best this is misleading to consumers and at worst (certainly with TF members) very unethical imo.

Kildren

Post by Kildren » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:17 am

^ this majorly after blitz it was amazing to see how many members who contributed to TF in some way were leaving positive reviews illegal at most very unethical at a minimum

Speak to me about joining the ACG Pilots Union