Staffelkapitan
contributor

Re: Tobruk "what's it like?" thread

Post by Jackman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:05 pm

Peterpan wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:56 pm
Sylmaron wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:53 am

we all know that if tfs doesnt continue, thats it for this type of flight sim for a very long time. Pack up and go home theres nothing else out there, dcs and box are not serious alternatives.
Lol, wut? By your own admission you don't have BoX, do you have DCS? No serious alternatives? Are you kidding?
I was thinking the same thing with ACG running excellent campaigns for the last few years in BOX how is that not serious alternative :roll: .

Don't know if you guys ever seen a comedy called Little Britain. But that remark sounded like I'm the only gay in the village :lol:

May today be better than yesterday, but, not as good as tomorrow.

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:22 pm

Jackman you slave away in the STeditor its your birthright to say that box is shit.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:34 pm

Sylmaron wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:53 am
I say punish because we all know that if tfs doesnt continue, thats it for this type of flight sim for a very long time. Pack up and go home theres nothing else out there, dcs and box are not serious alternatives.
This is an attitude that appears to have been cultivated over the last 5 to 10 years and it is less true now than it has been at any point during that time.

I only need to say MFS 2020 to prove it. There are more people interested in flight simulation right now than at any time since 2004. That interest and that technology will very likely start off a new wave of titles, both civil and military in scope.

And to say that DCS or the Great Battles series are not serious alternatives is clearly not accurate. You're literally posting that statement on a forum for a group that has conducted large involved campaigns using the Great Battles series - a series that has a great deal more content available to it than CloD, including many features such as aircraft lighting, working and varied weather systems, etc. Is it perfect? Of course not. Is CloD? Of course not.

For my part, DCS is our alternative. My squadron has been making and playing co-op campaigns on the various DCS maps in various eras of aircraft and having a great time. We've flown Korean war scenarios using F-86s, we've done WWII missions across the channel and back, and we're running a middle-east battle scenario with F-18s and F-14s off the deck of the super-carrier (which is pretty incredible actually). Is it perfect? Of course not, but it's definitely as good as or better than anything we were doing before.

If you think there's nothing else quite like CloD, then you're right. There isn't. It's different in specific ways. But it is starting to feel like there's a stockholm syndrome kicking in about the title. Many of us felt we were stuck with it and had no alternative. That's most definitely not the case.

The Flight Sim community is alive, more so now than in a long time. It's just CloD and its community that's dying and has been for a while. The idea that anyone should have to defend it against comments such as Reddog has made is holding onto the idea that we all have to band together to 'save' the industry. We don't. It's fine. And you don't have to go through Steam reviews of other games for very long to see that Reddog's comments are pretty tame and reasonable in comparison. I think mostly people are just taking a history of discontent and making more of the man than the message. It's a common issue in sports. The referee or the umpire becomes the story and not the action on the field, when in reality they and their mannerisms don't matter at all - it's what's on the pitch/field that counts.

You don't like the way Reddog says it? Fine. If we're being honest, I don't agree with the tone of his posts either sometimes. Just ignore that and him and decide for yourself if the actual points he's putting forward are true or not. Because if you just focus on that, he's not wrong in a lot of what he says.
Virtual No.401 Squadron - XO

OBT-Mikmak

Post by OBT-Mikmak » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:58 pm

About convoy accordioning, I tested it and it seems to work properly 80% of time (without accordioning).
There is strange behavior times to times but nothing really problematic...
In this example the convoy ran more than 130 Km (3 hours travel), the video has been speed up x16 (in game).
You will see the trucks light at night at 7:08.

Last edited by OBT-Mikmak on Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:35 pm

The trucks are still going haywire at multiple points on a perfectly straight section of road. They also appear to handle the turn onto a different road as bad or worse than stock game. This is not an issue that affects convoys we deploy in DCS. Unsure about Great Battles.

Over time, it may show that the vehicle pathfinding actually has improved, especially on long straight sections of road. So far, it appears that results are mixed. It still doesn't appear to work predictably and when you are planning missions or campaigns, thats very important. I'm no longer looking to find workarounds for broken features. I'm looking for stuff that just works.

Can someone show us a video of a convoy in this version navigating on the channel map?Plan a route to avoid bridges so as to not have to explain broken bridges.

Mysticpuma

Post by Mysticpuma » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:50 am

Testing a few different scenarios on the Battle of Britain map. This video shows a few different issues and the dreaded "vehicles vs bridges"....but some success was had with one convoy of vehicles at the end of the video, it appears the MTDR Truck can successfully navigate the bridges. The MTDR leads the British Tank Transport Column and when the convoy is selected they all crossed the bridge.....except the last vehicle :(
It's almost like there is an Ai circle where if one vehicle crosses they all cross but if the back vehicle is just outside the 'memory' of the circle, it can't cross the bridge :(
I tried the MTDR. Truck on its own and it successfully navigates bridges.

Mysticpuma

Post by Mysticpuma » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:52 am

Missions are attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Baron le Scrope

Post by Baron le Scrope » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:18 pm

Played D/Dogs Tobruk, game crashed twice, once more, crashed, that was last Thursday, Sunday, today, D/D, English channel 15 mins, crashed, flying for 6yrs clod, blitz, never a problem. turned eye candy most down to low, made no difference, money down the drain. Not a happy bunny.B.
Antec 900 case,/ Sabertooth P67 MoBo,/ Intel corei7 2600cpu-/- MSI GTX 970 4G Graphics, --WD-1Tb Velociraptor HDD--16g Corsair 2133Mhz Ram/-- Corsair TX 850w PSU /--Samsung40"led TV, TrackiR5, CH J/sick. Warthog Throttle. Corsair Vengeance 2100 H/set/mike. W10 Pro 64, /---Two slightly depressed teabags.

Think nothing of it sir, it was the least I could do, a quantity I specialize in.

Konaber

Post by Konaber » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:50 pm

Baron le Scrope wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:18 pm
Played D/Dogs Tobruk, game crashed twice, once more, crashed, that was last Thursday, Sunday, today, D/D, English channel 15 mins, crashed, flying for 6yrs clod, blitz, never a problem. turned eye candy most down to low, made no difference, money down the drain. Not a happy bunny.B.
Cache deleted?

Sylmaron

Post by Sylmaron » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:24 am

I didnt mean that box or dcs are not fun or great sims. But each is very very different to clod/dwt.
I dont own box but i have friends that own it and i have flown it multiple times, and i own dcs and think it is a phenomenal piece of software.
Box doesnt have the complex engine modelling or damage modelling (and to me looks way to cartoon like). Dcs is more of a study sim than a sim game which is great but its not what clod is. You cant have the numbers of players and objects in dcs that you can in clod. Like i said its apples and oranges. Theres an enormous list of features that clod has that literally no other flight sim has and it deserves preserving and hopefully continued support and upgrading. I really wish tfs all the best with this and see no reason to tar and feather them over legacy bugs that for all i know could be incredibly difficult to fix. To me its like a vintage car restoration, modern cars are technically better but dont have the charm or features of the classics.

I think ive gone as far in this discussion as i can. I think some of you guys take things too seriously and personally sometimes and i dont know if you can see that. Its a game fellas. I have no problem with someone saying you hate clod and wont play it anymore. That shouldnt bother anyone. But the hysterics from a few that i saw years ago resurfacing after the dwt release are just silly as hell.

Hopefully ill see some of you in the desert skies.