Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Re: ACG Public server

Post by Donkey » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Ok, I can see why those updates are leaking - typo in my code. I am making good progress on a lot of the back-end stuff that I have committed to getting in place for Thaine's front end, but I do roll the occasional build out into public to see how it handles more than just me logging onto my own private server. So you may well get oddities like this in the next few days. Next time the server is quiet I will stop it and roll out a new version that (hopefully) won't do this.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:38 am

Dickie wrote: If the load times are a problem please advise. I've added a lot and the map file is currently 300kb, which is big for a .mis file, and I think this will get up to 350kb ish. From a users perspective Miki reported a long load time but I got 15 seconds on server connect so that is decent, and his second load up was quick so I think that normally load times for this .mis will be fine but COD is flaky so we may get issues. We have to suck it and see.

Yes, they could be a problem. Despite recxompiling with all timeouts set to 60 seconds, if ever the load time goes *above* circa 15 seconds the CLODWatcher assumes that the launcher has died and kills it. So we often get muliple server starts before one takes. And I appreciate this is a problem with the CLODWatcher, but given all of the timeouts are set high I'm at a bit of a loss... Further digging required.

EDIT:- Found it, solved it. This is what happens when you just nick someone else's network code. CLODWatcher is a decompile / re-write of the old ATAG Watcher - and one of their send commands had a hard-wired 10 second timeout...

Trystan

Post by Trystan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:25 pm

I did some testing after Dickie said he was done. The average load time over 5 rounds was 29.83 seconds. But there was one 33 second load that skewed the data. Two loads we're about 28.5 and two others were about 29.5. These are load times from the central US.
ASUS Z97 / Intel i7-4790K@4.2 GHz / 64 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080Ti 11GB / WINDOWS 10 64-bit / 3 x 27" Monitors / Oculus Rift / Thrustmaster 16000m / Thrustmaster FCS Throttle Quadrant / Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:38 pm

This is slightly different inasmuch that both the controller and the server are on the same box so there no network lag per se. The total local load time to start the server mission (i.e. start everything up and load the base map) is circa 15/16 seconds, of which the actual map load and static load had a hard-wired timeout of 10 seconds. I have now upped that to 60 so we should be golden.

But thanks for the feedback, good to get an idea of remote load times.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:21 pm

Donkez wrote: EDIT:- Found it, solved it. This is what happens when you just nick someone else's network code. CLODWatcher is a decompile / re-write of the old ATAG Watcher - and one of their send commands had a hard-wired 10 second timeout...
Oh what genius developers. Must be one of those bits of code which Bliss bragged to me once that could be 'knocked up in 30 minutes' :lol:

Great work Donks, fucking awesome stuff!

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks Trystan and everyone else reporting feedback, it is really important that if you see something to please report here.

Thanks all.

StG77_CountZero

Post by StG77_CountZero » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks for changes for bases, Oye Plage looks nice, more life is on server by adding more stuff on ground, we tryed to attack Manston base now when you added more flak and objects and its mutch better when your strafing stuff and flak can hit you now , more risk if one wonts to do that.
Also not every target or object needs to add to win points, its good as its now, to just have thous objects that are not part of mission objectives to not count.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:26 pm

Yes aware of that Countzero however it will need thought because the objects are not there to be shot really, I don't want them to be a distraction from the objective mission otherwise the mission will be ignored. We may do a compromise where they are registered in the stats but do not help the mission objective or score faction points. Also, there are a great variety of objects and it may be hard tying them all to a value.

StG77_CountZero

Post by StG77_CountZero » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:48 pm

Thats why its best just to not includ them in points system, i go for them when i dont like the mission objectives of sub mission loaded or if there is only air missions active, and dont wont to wait for next one, bombing some static ship in dover or strafe flaks on close base is way to spend that time, and its good that thouse objects dont count in win points.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Agreed. One of those things to look at.