Re RAF Fighter warm up procedure after 4.5

Founding grounds of ACG.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Nev

Re: Re RAF Fighter warm up procedure after 4.5

Post by Nev » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:36 pm

I doubt they would have used bco for start up. Once bco was engaged on the engines, they needed to be serviced far more quickly.

Always above, seldom on the same level, never underneath.

- Edward Mannock 73 victories

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:00 pm

Nev wrote:I doubt they would have used bco for start up. Once bco was engaged on the engines, they needed to be serviced far more quickly.
Agreed Nev,the use of the Boost to get things movin' is an old ACG workaround and is not a procedure documented in the period manual,which brings me back to my original point,that the procedeure is not only not historical,it is at best crass,but more than this,it is mind numbingly tedious.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:02 pm

It's wrong, it should be fixed, and it must be a pain for single player, but for online play I'm not sure how bored you can really get in the 45 seconds it takes to warm up a Hurricane. Turn it on as soon as you get in, then by the time you've set compass, gyro, gunsights, takeoff trim and dropped 20 degrees of flap you'll only have a few seconds left before it's go time.
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Broadsword wrote:It's wrong, it should be fixed, and it must be a pain for single player, but for online play I'm not sure how bored you can really get in the 45 seconds it takes to warm up a Hurricane. Turn it on as soon as you get in, then by the time you've set compass, gyro, gunsights, takeoff trim and dropped 20 degrees of flap you'll only have a few seconds left before it's go time.
Yes,of course I have to agree with you Broady,I maybe guilty of being a tad selfish here chaps,if so I apologise,I am,obviously talking about this issue purely as a single player,although I do play online at times,so again,I apologise if I come across bolshy(typical Meaks I know :D )but I'm still bloody passionate about our sim,and get annoyed that the sim is IMO suffering from being altered for the worse.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:41 pm

Buzzsaw was told about this in the meeting. It's especially an issue for offline when you have to take off with AI who are ready to go.

Can someone please test "spawn parked" because apparently that has something to do with it ??

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:42 pm

Broadsword wrote:It's wrong, it should be fixed, and it must be a pain for single player, but for online play I'm not sure how bored you can really get in the 45 seconds it takes to warm up a Hurricane. Turn it on as soon as you get in, then by the time you've set compass, gyro, gunsights, takeoff trim and dropped 20 degrees of flap you'll only have a few seconds left before it's go time.

45 seconds?

Are you using BCO? If so, that's not historical.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:51 am

Nope. Engine on, rads closed, throttle forward until it stutters and then back off ever so slightly (or set it to 23% if you prefer), fiddle with knobs and switches for roughly 45 seconds, temp hits 20, open radiator and away... we... gooooooo!
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Biggs

Post by Biggs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:56 am

Hurries and spits can go 100% throttle at 16 degrees C.

And as broady said you can inch the throttle up past 20% after a few moments to help shorten the wait.

That said, having a 'warmed up option is needed.

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 am

I rest my case for the prosecution......no more questions M'Lud :D .......you know there is a very,very fine line between immersion and boredom with a flight sim aircraft start up.

I'm all for complex cockpits,I love this side of a flight sim,in fact I'm really passionate about it,probably figures why I love bombers so much(there's more to do before take off)but sitting on an airfield,waiting for water and oil to warm up doesn't float my boat,especially when given the fact that it's not historically correct :wank:

I appreciate the workaround of using the Boost to get the job done,but let's face it,it's such a crass way to start an aircraft up,isn't it?......not to mention the fact that it isn't historical,remember historical ?....a word that is dear to all at ACG.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:03 am

I swear I've done this and had to wait and wait far longer.....