Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Re: Changes in 4.5.3

Post by Dickie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:21 am

Boyezee wrote: Honestly Broady none of this is aimed at 501 and I suspect my inablilty to be clear in my posts has muddied my point, I know you guys are ACG through and through and will embark on whatever theatre we grace with your usual humour, panach and friendly fire, I have met most of you in real life and you are a great bunch of guys whom I would have loved to have joined at some point in our campaign.
What are you on about? They are cunts :mrgreen:

Shadepiece

Post by Shadepiece » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:53 am

Long story short, I feel that many in the LW are on the outside looking in when it comes to our campaign in the BoB. It feels as though we are often the whipping boy for the RAF, and fair enough because that's how history went generally. It just gets really hard to get immersed every week when you feel like a punching bag at times. There isn't the same level of connection when flying the dark side. I personally love how the 109 flies and that's the real fun for me, but I still long to feel the connection that many of those in the RAF have.

I do believe that maybe a lot of the LW vs RAF bias and bickering is a result of this effect. It's easier to take one on the chin, and then go right back up the next week when you have that connection to the sim. I think that why the LW is more vocal when it comes to griping, and I don't think I am an exception either.

I think that's one of the reasons that the Eastern Front appeals to me because, there is far less bias between factions. Although I envy your connection, and I look forward to having my turn eventually, I am very much looking forward to our campaign having much less faction rivalry. I think that's a big reason I'm looking forward to heading East, and why I plan on enjoying it for what it is as opposed to just a time filler.

I am however concerned that when Bodenplatte comes to pass everyone who has those connections will want to fly allied, and therefore leaving the LW very short. It's no fun simulating the war without the enemy...

That's why I hope to see some guys taking a tour on the German side so that all the guys who've been doing it for so long can have a chance at some change. I really hope there will be balance in that way.

End vent.

Kai Lae

Post by Kai Lae » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:04 am

Dickie wrote:Again, I point at the homepage on our website, it's pretty clear, there are no surprises, and I'd feel 'disappointed' if some people just quietly slip away....
I'm not sure how many read that actually. I'm also not sure how many understood it when it was effectively hypothetical.

I'll add that not only do you have people who are devoted to a side, there are people devoted to a single aircraft who don't want to fly anything else. Not sure how common either are.

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:23 am

HotLunch

Post by HotLunch » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:44 am

More vodka Comrade!

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:22 am

Kai Lae wrote:I'll add that not only do you have people who are devoted to a side, there are people devoted to a single aircraft who don't want to fly anything else. Not sure how common either are.
For the record, I'm not devoted to my Hurricane (gawd bless her), I'm just undevoted to the Spitfire - piece of junk that it is. Despite most, if not all, 501 being very attached to their trusty steed - many also fly other aircraft in other sims, and I have heard all wax lyrical about other aircraft types. What you may also find is some aircraft are lusted after in a way dependent on the character of the pilot.

I myself am slow and plodding. I take an eternity to get up in the morning, and in the heat of action I'm spent in around 14 seconds. However, I have a high pain threshold, can take a pretty good battering and yet still manage to crawl my way to the Flowerpot in time for the last orders' bell ring.

In all seriousness - the way of flying a 109 is not something I would enjoy - I've tried it and I got bored. When I played WoW, the rogue was something I could never play for the same reason. The 110 I loved - very homely aircraft - felt like a Hurricane with two bulges rather than one.

The conversation in 501 as to what aircraft we'd like to fly in BoX is popping up at the moment - do we stay low and slow, or have our turn in the glorious Spitfire-esque sunlight? It's a tough call but I do strongly suspect the character of the aircraft often reflects the character of the player :salute:
Last edited by Bunny on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:23 am

DP

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 pm

LaGG 3 for you then Bunny old chap. :fap:
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:26 pm

Kai Lae wrote:
Dickie wrote:Again, I point at the homepage on our website, it's pretty clear, there are no surprises, and I'd feel 'disappointed' if some people just quietly slip away....
I'm not sure how many read that actually. I'm also not sure how many understood it when it was effectively hypothetical.
I think it a bit odd if you didn't read the the first paragraph of the group you are joining. Everything is hypothetical until it happens.

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:50 pm

stay low and slow
:joyman: :lux: