R.I.P CloD Campaigns? For real?

Founding grounds of ACG.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Mato

R.I.P CloD Campaigns? For real?

Post by Mato » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:06 am

Good day gents, I've just spent an entire night trying to get BoM to update to 3.002; I've been here for 9 hours trying to do this and that with it, but no joy and I just wanted to clarify, is this it for CloD campaign missions? Will the move to BoX be permanent and irrevocable? I've heard so much conflicting information and just want to clarify the situation.

My ideal scenario would have those who want to stay with it being abl to, but I realise that a lot of the heavy hitters are commited to the move. I realise too that there issues with numbers and server crashes but will we not be taking ourselves back to square one here? BoM is being heavily updated at present, it's not a stable platform for Multiplayer gaming full stop, let alone campaigns server side..

Once again just to clarify, is it all over for the Battle of Britain? I shall be sad indeed if this splits ACG..

Cheers gentlemen, please feel free to post a link to a relevant post as I'm sure I've missed the very info I'm looking for somewhere..x Mato

Geordie

Re: R.I.P CloD Campaigns? For real?

Post by Geordie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:25 am

I'm not sure why you've made 2 threads stating the same thing...

I haven't had any issues however I haven't updated BoX recently so I'll have to check when I get home after work. As for staying with CloD this has been discussed until people turn blue in the face... In short, ACG are moving to BoX, things have to evolve otherwise they go extinct...

As for looking at how stable it is in online play, I'd advise you actually look further in the forum and look into what the testing team have been doing. You will be pleasantly surprised... You can't say it's unstable when you count how many crashes we have with CloD...
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 am

Any further details about why it took 9 hours, what kind of errors you were getting etc...?
We have done a number of extensive tests on GoatBox1 that suggest that BoX can handle numbers - certainly as many as we safely handle in CloD. Statements such as "BoM is being heavily updated at present, it's not a stable platform for Multiplayer gaming full stop, let alone campaigns server side" do not chime with tests we ourselves have done.

As for the move, yes it is happening. Command has been quite clear, we are moving East - and pilots who wish to remain part of ACG need to fly campaign in BoX. A "secondary" public(?) campaign in CloD - much like the ones currently run in ROF - may be run (at a time/day not to clash with the campaign) but that would very much depend on volunteers running it.
Last edited by Donkey on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:43 am

http://aircombatgroup.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =26&t=9298

I think these minutes say most you need to know. So yes we will switch to BoS after the current iteration of the BoB campaign. With the missions left plus brakes that should done in give or take 10 weeks estimated. Then Operation Barbarossa will start around the Moscow theatre continuing with Stalingrad. What happens after is yet to decide based on what sims with their theatres/ planesets etc are available.

Side campaigns in cliffs are possible if organized by interested pilots. Yet to remain an ACG member BoX campaign will remain mandatory

Edit: damn you Donkey :veryangry:
Turn like the devil, shoot straight from the sun
Climb like a monkey out of hell where I belong

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:00 am

:oops: Sorry!

Azref

Post by Azref » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:11 am

Matofact, if you need help updating BoX just ask on TS.

Yes we are abandoning the sinking barge that is Cliffs of ATAG. :vadar:
Ask about ACG contraband, I can get what you need.

Boyezee

Post by Boyezee » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:11 am

Hi Mato

The other chaps have covered it but just for a bit more detail the BoB campaign scheduled to run until the 5th of August which takes into account campaign breaks and the weekend of Duxford when there will be no mission ran.

So we have a little under 4 months until the we finish the BoB and then move to the Eastern Front.

EDIT - We may well return to CLoD in North Africa depending on when/if it is released as we would like to follow the war in chronological order but of course that does depend on what comes out and when.

Jammy

Post by Jammy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:12 am

As has been stated yes we are moving east once the BoB campaign is completed (Late July early August most likely) and ACG members are expected to follow to the BoM. There will most likely be CloD events outside of Sunday for those who can't stand the eastern front I would wait for BlackDog to reply he seems to be the one organizing that.

BoM is infinitely stabler that CloD, more info on your crashes would be helpfull
I do like to shoot down planes yes I do

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:24 am

Matofact wrote:is this it for CloD campaign missions? Will the move to BoX be permanent and irrevocable? I've heard so much conflicting information and just want to clarify the situation.
Just to clarify on this point for you and anyone else who might still be unsure about what the deal is with the move, it's important to bear in mind that this move is not making ACG a BoX group, the reality is that ACG will use BoX for the time being in order to run Eastern Front campaigns, and another platform change is a very distinct possibility in the future.

If we follow the chronology of the war as Dickie envisions, and software is released/updated in time to allow it, the progression of ACG's campaign will probably look something like this:

- Operation Barbarossa (BoM)
- Battle of Stalingrad (BoS)
- North Africa (TF 5.0)
- Battle of Kuban (BoK)
- Late War Scenario (Bodenplatte)

Beyond that, who the hell knows. By the time we're done looking at the Luftwaffe getting its shit pushed in on three different fronts, there will have been several Pacific expansions released for BoX, so I would imagine one day we will be looking at naval aviation as well. Overall it's unlikely that ACG's primary Sunday campaign will ever consecutively repeat scenarios like we've done with the Battle of Britain ever again. This was a situation created by the lack of evolution in Cliffs of Dover, rather than anything we actually wanted to happen. The original Leaning Forward campaign was meant to 'tide us over until TF 5.0' and that was three years ago.

Hope this helps.

Mato

Post by Mato » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Donkey wrote:Any further details about why it took 9 hours, what kind of errors you were getting etc...?
We have done a number of extensive tests on GoatBox1 that suggest that BoX can handle numbers - certainly as many as we safely handle in CloD. Statements such as "BoM is being heavily updated at present, it's not a stable platform for Multiplayer gaming full stop, let alone campaigns server side" do not chime with tests we ourselves have done.

As for the move, yes it is happening. Command has been quite clear, we are moving East - and pilots who wish to remain part of ACG need to fly campaign in BoX. A "secondary" public(?) campaign in CloD - much like the ones currently run in ROF - may be run (at a time/day not to clash with the campaign) but that would very much depend on volunteers running it.
Thanks Donkey, I will indeed! I did make another thread in the BoS section of the forum for the troubleshooter..it turns out its a russian firewall thing, it should be fixed by the time of me writing this, so a storm in a tea cup! Thanks for clarifying the point for me..x