BoS VR

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Rich

Re: BoS VR

Post by Rich » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:44 pm

Open cockpit in project cars and war thunder was superb. https://youtu.be/GA4qSaaAltg
You may have heard of war thunder as a lot of the acg community are big fans.

I don't see the value in the touch controllers, joystick and wheel are much more immersive. That said standing up in vr adds something magical.

oculus recently announced they will build a low cost version of vr that doesn't require a pc so I am not holding my breath for the next gen. especially as the current resolution is right at the limits of what crus and gpus can handle with decent fps.

I have a 34 inch monitor as well as the rift and I don't use the rift much. But it is cool and I would miss not having it.

Kildren

Post by Kildren » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:47 am

Rich wrote:
oculus recently announced they will build a low cost version of vr that doesn't require a pc so I am not holding my breath for the next gen. especially as the current resolution is right at the limits of what crus and gpus can handle with decent fps.
Oculus has pretty much given up

Speak to me about joining the ACG Pilots Union

Boyezee

Post by Boyezee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:56 am

Rich wrote: I have a 34 inch monitor as well as the rift and I don't use the rift much. But it is cool and I would miss not having it.
Hi Rich

One of the reasons I got rid of the rift is that I was worried it would spoil the monitor experience for me, how do you find it? if you go from rift to monitor does it make the experience a lot worse?

I hear a lot of people say that they couldn't go back to a monitor after trying VR which always concerned me, I kept mine for only a few days before returning it so I didn't get a chance to try it out long term.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:10 pm

I play clod on a monitor as I have no choice, and I always initially feel it's a bit *meh* compared to VR. But after 2 minutes I forget. I think you can happily swap between the two when required - but having said that I only ever play ED, DCS and BoX in VR.

Boyezee

Post by Boyezee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Donkey do you find that VR functions well enough in BoX and DCS to play properly? - I would imagine identifying contacts is very hard and it limits the type of missions you can do?

As you can probably tell I'm trying to talk myself out of buying one again :lol:

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:29 pm

So BoX i think yes. Contact spotting is admittedly very difficult (and as I only tend to play offline I must admit I sometimes turn on the HUD markers to help initially pick them up), but I can run it in full beauty on my 1080 and the frame rate is good - so the super-sampling etc... Helps. DCS I only play occasionally at the moment, and I tend to use it less for the combat (ironically, given the name) and more for the hoooolyyyy fuuuuuuuckkkk of taking off and flying in a fast jet. However it does stutter in places and that's why I'm currently getting my kicks more from BoX. I also like it for Google earth (quite incredible) and a bit of general aviation flight (which is where it really excels imho as there is no spotting issue). I got my ppl 25 years ago or so (it's currently lapsed) but when I strap on my vive and line up on the runway in Scottsdale Arizona .... I'm really, really there. And that alone is worth the price of entry to me.

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:49 pm

"Next gen" I keep telling myself, and hearing these things makes me know that that's when I'll jump onboard.

"but when I strap on my vive and line up on the runway in Scottsdale Arizona .... I'm really, really there.!" :nice:

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Soooooo, if I were tempted by your honeyed words and decided to blow my bonus on an overpriced and underperforming set of magic goggles, right here and now in 2017, which set of overpriced and underperforming magic goggles is currently the least worst?
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:05 pm

I have the Vive, but the Rift is currently on sale. They are the same in terms of resolution etc... although I think at this point Rift may have the edge as it now has trhe touch controllers (weren't there at launch) and it's lighter and cheaper. Buuuut, it's owned by Facebook as opposed to the good ol' boys at Valve (well, and HTC) so it depends how much you want to throttle Mark Zuckerberg. But if you happen to be down south near the High Wycombe area at any point soon you would be more than welcome to come and check mine out.

Rich

Post by Rich » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:28 am

Boyezee wrote:
Rich wrote: I have a 34 inch monitor as well as the rift and I don't use the rift much. But it is cool and I would miss not having it.
Hi Rich

One of the reasons I got rid of the rift is that I was worried it would spoil the monitor experience for me, how do you find it? if you go from rift to monitor does it make the experience a lot worse?

I hear a lot of people say that they couldn't go back to a monitor after trying VR which always concerned me, I kept mine for only a few days before returning it so I didn't get a chance to try it out long term.
Its more the monitor that spoils the rift. The resolution is so much better on a monitor especially considering for the same pc power you can run 1440p or wide screen resolutions. Combined with the fact that for flight sims you need to read gauges and especially spot and look for contacts constantly a big screen is a lot more comfortable and the resolution makes it prettier. For car racing its bit harder decision. For me its only really things that are very close (within 10 metres) that are changed by 3d. The best thing is sitting in the cockpit exactly to scale and all the 3d modelling comes alive, you can see the way the gauges are set into the dash or the little knobs that you never noticed at your feet. Like I said though I mainly use monitor. Others might find differently.

PS I tried Vive briefly and found it to have brighter colours and much better at tracking head movement (more accurate) but I preferred the image of the rift and I like the built in headphones which are really practical (eg for demoing to friends and family).