BoS VR

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Javelina

Re: BoS VR

Post by Javelina » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Donkey wrote:... line up on the runway in Scottsdale Arizona .... I'm really, really there. And that alone is worth the price of entry to me.
why that's just down the street for me... :D :salute:

@All - I still use my monitor, but just for any sim/game that is not compatible with VR. The next gen VR won't be out until early 2019, so I figured what the heck. Enjoy it now. And with the Rift sale going on, $399 is an awesome price point. Besides, you'll end up having to build a whole new computer rig to support the next gen VR.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, RTX3090FE, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V, 2x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 1x 1TB Samsung NVMe, Win 10 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, JetSeat KW-908, Reverb G2, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, EVGA 850P2 PSU, PointCTRL

Grumpy
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant
Adjutant

Post by Grumpy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Donkey wrote: but having said that I only ever play ED
Wait, wait a minute! That's a GAME now???!!! :shock: :shock: There's a pill for that, you know. :nice:

Oh, hang on, maybe you meant something else. Never mind.
Adjutant, No. 111 (Fighter) Squadron. Adstantes

Nor law nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds.
A lonely impulse of delight
Led to this tumult in the clouds

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:48 pm

Frankly, some of the more, er, artistic content I've viewed in VR would certainly for some way to helping with *that* ED...

Nails

Post by Nails » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:29 pm

I purchased BoS, BoM (in the Sale) and Kuban last night.

Donkey what settings do you have for Graphics in game? I have an HTC Vive (hardly used since I got it on release).

I have followed the instrucrtions for the terrain.cfg here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/23 ... visibilit/

I have follwed the instructions for in game graphics tweaks here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28 ... xperience/

I have followed the instructions for VR Tweaks here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28 ... xperience/

I am playing this on my secondary PC:

ASUS SABERTOOTH X79 (Getting on a bit, but does OK)
i7 3930k 4.5Ghz (As above)
Samsung EVO 250Gb (purely dedicated to IL2 BoX. Office and Peripheral Software Only - I put all games on their own SSD (clone UTD Windows, then just install the game)
20Mb RAM
Nvidia GTX 980Ti
Monitor ASUS PG278Q (capable of 144Hz) - but doesnt matter in VR

In game Graphics Set to High, with the following set:

Screen Res (1280 x 1024) - Apparently this doesn't matter as it does not affect the VR Res
Full Screen: Ticked
Enable VR HMD: Ticked
Multi GPU Support: Unticked
VSync: Unticked
SSAO: Ticked (Subjective, some say tick it, some say not)
HDR: Ticked (Subjective, some say tick it, some say not)
Sharpen: Unticked (Subjective, some say tick it, the majority say not)
Shadows Quality: Low
Mirrors: Simple
Distant Landscape Detail: x4 (as specified in the above Terrain.cfg tweak)
Landscape Filer: Sharp
Grass Quality: Normal
Dynamic Resolution Factor: Full (some say .8)
Atialising: None (Subjective, some say x2 - x4, some say Off - all depends if you have Supersampling set to 1.4 and above in SteamVR)
Gamma Correction: 1

The reason I ask, is because I see a lot of shimmering. In the menu (some of the aircraft shimmers/flickers (not all) and in the cockpit, around the instruments).

Watching this enthusiastic user, I don't see any shimmering going where I seem to get it! Frame rates are good in game, and I do like the way VR is going. But the shimmering!

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi Nails,

I have:

1) Full Res - Unticked
2) Screen-Rsolution 800X600
- NOTE: This resolution is the resolution mirrored to your monitor when the game is playing, it does not refer to the HMD resolution. As such, I run it in a window and keep it low as I'm not playing with anyone watching and it reduces GPU load if I am outputting the view mirror to a small window.

3) VR HMD Enabled
4) Multi GPU unticjked
5) Vsync off
6) SSAO on
7) HDR on
8) Sharpen on

Then
Shadow Quality Medium
Mirros Simple
Distant Landscape X4
Landscape filter Sharp
Grass Quality Normal
Dynamic Res .8
Antialiasing 4
Gamma Correction 1

I do get some shimmering in the menus (i.e. text), but in game it's not something I'd noticed.
I've not changed any of my steam vr config settings (literally just re-installed w10 over Xmas, can't remember if I had previously or not), so all of my settings are "vanilla" (although I may try supersampling again just to see)

I'm on a 1080 (not TI) and a 3930k, same as you.

Wozaworld

Post by Wozaworld » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Hi Nails

I've everything on full whack (ultra, full Distance, shadows, Grass and Dynamic Res) Also have it running 2k on monitor res - Most of Nvidia is set to "Application controlled"

Don't experience any shimmering at all

Running a 4790k @ 4.7ghz with a 1080ti though
"Always treat your kite like you treat your woman, climb inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back.."

i7 8700K @ 5Ghz H100X Water cooled, Asus Maximus X Hero, 32gb DDR4 3000mhz ram, GTX1080ti 11gb , 250gb SSD, Thrustmaster warthog stick, X-55 H.O.T.A.S, Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR5, GHD Hair straightners, Quite a nice kettle. Oh! and one of those Oculus majiggy thingys

Wozaworld

Post by Wozaworld » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Also! good tip... press "H" whilst in game to disable the HUD and notifications - boosts frames by approx 15fps
"Always treat your kite like you treat your woman, climb inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back.."

i7 8700K @ 5Ghz H100X Water cooled, Asus Maximus X Hero, 32gb DDR4 3000mhz ram, GTX1080ti 11gb , 250gb SSD, Thrustmaster warthog stick, X-55 H.O.T.A.S, Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR5, GHD Hair straightners, Quite a nice kettle. Oh! and one of those Oculus majiggy thingys

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Ah yes, forgot about that - disabling hud, icons etc... does improve FPS.

Nails

Post by Nails » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Cheers chaps.

The Disable HUD was in one of those links I posted, so have been flying with it off most of the time.

I will reset Nvidia to App Control except power management mode (Prefer Max Performance).

Darky

Post by Darky » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:03 pm

Waza the Oculus S is amazing

"I, Brian Anthony Dark, Swear by Almighty God that I will be Faithful and bear True Allegiance to His Royal Highness King George VI, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in Duty bound, Honestly and Faithfully Defend His Highness, his Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all Enemies and will Observe and Obey all Orders of His Highness, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Air Officers and other Officers set over me."