Easy BOS upgrade here.(Gamma Fix)

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Double

Easy BOS upgrade here.(Gamma Fix)

Post by Double » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:03 am

Hey all :salute:

One of the biggest problems I had with BOS when I first started flying it was how washed out everything looks. There is a simple fix that the community found a while back that made a world of difference for me as far as the look of the game goes and I think it's worth repeating here, considering our coming move to Battle of Moscow.

The gamma settings in game only go down to .8 which still leave things washed out, imo. With a simple .cfg change you can make your game look much better. Here are some comparison screenshots between Gamma .8(the lowest possible GUI setting) and Gamma .6(my .cfg setting):
I dont use any type of ReShade or SweetFX

Time: 1200 / Clear
Gamma .8
Gamma .6
Gamma .8
Gamma .6

Time 2000 / Overcast
Gamma .8
Gamma .6
Gamma .8
Gamma .6

As you can see, I have my gamma set to .6 which for my monitor settings give me a much more realistic image. It may be a placebo effect, but I also think I have better spotting now. You will have to figure out what works best for your set-up. Some guys use .5, a lot use .7. If you want to give it a shot here is how:
1) Navigate to your BOS root folder and open the 'data' folder.
2) Find and open startup.cfg with your text editor of choice.
3) Under the section [KEY = graphics] find and change 'gamma' to your desired setting. (Line 31 for N++ users)
4) Save and enjoy a much better looking game.
Do not change any setting in-game after doing this as it will automatically reset gamma back to default if you do. If you do need to change settings just redo your edit.

*Folks that use Reshade or SweetFX will most likely not need this.

:salute:DS
"I hate being bipolar, it's fucking awesome!

Shadepiece

Re: Easy BOS upgrade here.(Gamma Fix)

Post by Shadepiece » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:49 am

I know I did this, and I think somewhere along the lines I moved in the settings and reset it to .8

Miki

Post by Miki » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:04 am

Consider Sharpen option, as well, to reduce the wash out effect. Work well for me.

Kai Lae

Post by Kai Lae » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:43 pm

I think today’s update will remove a lot of the haze, and a lot of the need for this.

StG77_CountZero

Post by StG77_CountZero » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:49 pm

If you go to low in gamma youll have problems with losing contacts below you, especialy on Kuban map, and reading guages on some sitations, but if you have it to high you will have problems with not seing contacts in clear sky from more then lets say 4-5km. I would not change anything untill you see what they did with 3.001 as they said that gamma corections will be made to game in this last patch.

Double

Post by Double » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Kai Lae wrote:I think today’s update will remove a lot of the haze, and a lot of the need for this.
Yup, not needed after 3.001. I should have waited a day. :oops:

:salute: DS
"I hate being bipolar, it's fucking awesome!