First Impressions

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Onebad

First Impressions

Post by Onebad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Share your impressions about newly released patch here.

I'll start with what I found after a VERY BRIEF experience with the update.

Glad to see changes to the clouds. They look much nicer, so does the transition between clouds and the horizon. Water forming over canopy glass when passing through clouds is a very nice touch. So are drops of water showing up when flying low over bodies of water.
The UI and all the rest is a very welcome change aswell.

Render distance increase is awesome too. I guess it might affect frames for those with less powerful PCs, but there's a menu option to adjust that at will. I don't know if it affects spotting mechanics, which for me was always a weaker side of the franchise (long range spotting, I think that close range rendering is spot on)

Here's where I'm dissapointed. As propably many others I was hyped up to fly the P-39. It was never the best plane around, but it's as unique as it gets.
As far as I'm concerned, the P-39 flight model is butchered. Infamous for it's unusual stall and spin characteristics, the BoX version of a plane has nothing to do with stories and videos I watched waiting for the plane to be released. The plane just doesnt do what it's supposed to. The hardest spins, stalls and tumbles require no pilot input to be recovered from. I tried following training videos the best I could, and the plane behaviour is nothing as I expected, and again, doesn't matter what I do the P-39 just magically recovers on it's own. Very dissapointing.

I only spent an hour or so flying so far, and there's propably a lot of cool stuff to be discovered in the patch, but I gotta admit that I went from a throbbing boner to a half chub real quick.

StG77_CountZero

Re: First Impressions

Post by StG77_CountZero » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Even in 1946 you had to fight 800-1200m to get out of flat spin in P-39, it turned good but when you staled you were doomed if to low, i was hoping same in BoX but not suprised it doesent behave like real one, FM is not games strong side.

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:30 pm

I've only had about 10 minutes so far, to check it in VR. The P-39 does feel very docile, but I've only ever had experience of it in the old il-2 '46 where it was an animal. Just be 100% sure you've checked your settings because mine had reverted to 'normal' with a load of aids ticked rather than 'expert'. I actually quite like it but no idea how realistic it is. The new rendering distance is awesome.
Anyway, have a bit of patience, you know who will be along shortly to tell us how shit it all is.
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

StG77_CountZero

Post by StG77_CountZero » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Your not only one suprised, here is what they say about it:

"Our research indicates that the P-39 flat spin could be bad if the nose was too light. Tests were done to try and re-create it and looks like is was mainly an issue when no ammo in the nose and CG moves too far back. We've tried to model this to the best of our ability and we think it's pretty close. It's not the best fighter, but it did score and was a serviceable weapon for the Soviets.

Jason"

So dont shoot al your guns and al is ok no flat spins :)

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:44 pm

Yes that was in response to my question about the spin. It's a nice plane to fly, I can see it getting eaten alive by 109's though.
It looks great in VR.
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Kai Lae

Post by Kai Lae » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:04 pm

StG77_CountZero wrote:Your not only one suprised, here is what they say about it:

"Our research indicates that the P-39 flat spin could be bad if the nose was too light. Tests were done to try and re-create it and looks like is was mainly an issue when no ammo in the nose and CG moves too far back. We've tried to model this to the best of our ability and we think it's pretty close. It's not the best fighter, but it did score and was a serviceable weapon for the Soviets.

Jason"

So dont shoot al your guns and al is ok no flat spins :)
The aircraft instability only became an issue when the center of gravity shifted when there was no cannon ammo loaded. Does the ammo casings actually eject from the plane or are they stored?

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:17 pm

Apparently they are stored, and the shells eject from the wing guns. No idea if this was an improvement for the L model?

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:41 am

Everyone on the server was getting this as well...

The pilot shall be considered to have above-average intelligence and normal (average) common sense.

NATOPS A1-F18AC-NFM-000, Preface, p. 55.

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:49 am

Only tested it for an hour, but this is my impressions :
- More beautiful, but what is the impact on FPS ?, I don't think it's painless
- New career mode, I try one in a I-16, Moscow, October 41 and meet a 109-G2 squadron...I'm not sure it's historically accurate.
- New cooperative server option, I tried to build one coop mission with PWCG and launched my server. It worked and I connected to it, we have to try with 4 to 6 players.
- Yesterday evening around 09:00 PM BT it was very difficult to connect to a server, I only could in the dogfight room.
- Less than Vanguard but I found the colors more blueish, especially over Kuban at high level.
- I haven't BoK and can't talk about the new P-39 or A-20
And for the fun, not to open the FM, Pandora box, I tried a 109 F4, I dived, not too steep, at 700 Km/h pulled out slowly but safely and climbed to, 2000 m and I was still at 450/500 Km/H when I reached the level. Compare to the Lagg-3 and I-16 I use to fly, it's a UFO... The future encounters between so much different planes promise to be interresting.

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:26 am

Secu wrote:And for the fun, not to open the FM, Pandora box, I tried a 109 F4, I dived, not too steep, at 700 Km/h pulled out slowly but safely and climbed to, 2000 m and I was still at 450/500 Km/H when I reached the level. Compare to the Lagg-3 and I-16 I use to fly, it's a UFO... The future encounters between so much different planes promise to be interresting.
Oh definitely, the Bf 109 F-4 is a UFO in BoS and has a really broken FM. At best climb speed and combat power (1.3 ata and 2,500 rpm) you can climb to 6 km in 4m 40s give or take 10s; averaging 21.5 m/s. Compared to flight test and calculated data (from German, British and American sources) they all agree that time to climb to 6 km is around 6 minutes; averaging 16.67 m/s. That's a whopping 5 m/s difference or approximately 30% increase for an aircraft which was released with the first instalment of the BoX series back in 2014.... and it still hasn't been addressed.

The pilot shall be considered to have above-average intelligence and normal (average) common sense.

NATOPS A1-F18AC-NFM-000, Preface, p. 55.