Machine gun damage to wing structure

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Spectre

Re: Machine gun damage to wing structure

Post by Spectre » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:58 am

To give some scale, here is a 7.92mm (Labeled 8mm Mauser in the picture) in comparison to a British .303 round. As we all are very aware, the Hurricane and Spitfire that we fly are armed with EIGHT .303 browning machine guns and do significantly less damage in terms of shredding aircraft apart. Yes the 7.92mm is slightly larger and the MG17 fires faster, but by sheer data the eight .303's can spit out more lead and thus more damage than a pair of 109's MG17's and that is modeled much better in Cliffs than in BoX.
bullet8Mauser_1.jpg
Furthermore, just because a round penetrates armour doesn't mean its effective fire. Over penetration is typically a bad thing, and with aircraft its no exception. Over penetrating means you're causing less damage since you're just poking holes into the wing, especially when you're firing a mix of Tracer and Ball with nothing in-between.

The point of Onebads test is to show that by firing a minimal amount of rounds, the MG's alone cause the wings to separate quite severely. His point isn't dismissing the physics of losing a wing due to stress after suffering MG fire, since that is much more realistic and unfortunately the damage model doesn't use this feature much since it just drops your wing instantly as Onebad has shown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"On the edge of destiny, you must test your strength"
- Air Marshal Billy Bishop

Kai Lae

Post by Kai Lae » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:17 am

As far as I know, devs have never actually said exactly how the DM works. So at the least I hope that some clarity comes out.

Frederf

Post by Frederf » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:44 am

The wing is able to take the weight of the fuselage x 10 (10G turn) in rough engineering terms. To have the damage cause the wing to come off in 1G flight means that at least 90% of the structural strength of the wing has been removed.

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:19 pm

I don't think the DM will be improved with BoX, but maybe that is something they will address with Bodenplatte before its release

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Maybe but I'd be very surprised.