Kanalkampf. Mission 14: 25th July 1940

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Katt

Kanalkampf. Mission 14: 25th July 1940

Post by Katt » Sun May 04, 2014 9:06 pm

Squadron: No.615 "County of Surrey" Squadron
Squadron Code: WK
Pilot Name: Katt
Date: 25 July 1940
Time: 1430 hrs
Base: Kenley
Type: Hurricane I
Marking: P
Serial Number R4194

Synopsis: Launched as Red 3 of Red Section with no.615 - formed with squadron in good order and flew out to the convoy where e/a single seaters were engaged with no visible results - intercepted e/a dive bombers as they turned eastbound toward their base and engaged three of their number - expended all ammo and returned to base with only minor damage the the left wing of aircraft.

Claims
Destroyed:0
Probably: 1
Damaged: 2

Losses:
Pilot: OK
A/C: Minor damage

Kev
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Re: Mission #14 - 25 July 1940

Post by Kev » Mon May 05, 2014 12:08 am

Squadron Code: KW
Pilot Name: Kev
Call sign: Red 2
Time: 14.30 hrs
Type: Hurricane I Rotol
Marking: U - Uncle
Serial Number: R40105

Synopsis:

Sqn took off form RAF Kenley and climbed on a heading of 120 degrees magnetic to the Dover straight. Over the Dover sector the Squadron was engaged by a number of single seat En fighters at a height of approx 11,000 feet.

I sighted an En fighter to my rear port quarter performing an energy attack. I immediately went into a hard left turn however one of his rounds hit my engine, which began to vibrate and make a dreadful sound. I informed my flight leader whom instructed me to RTB forthwith.

I lost height rapidly to maintain speed and to vacate the combat area as quickly as possible. I made a wheels down emergency landing in the area of grid AV-24.

I had a short walk to a near by farmhouse where a was greeted at the door by a very surprised young lady who offered me tea with some home made jam and bread for which I was very grateful for. Had it not been for the untimely arrival of her father from working in the fields there was a good chance my phone call requesting transport back to Kenley may have been somewhat delayed.

Claims:

Destroyed: Nil
Probably: Nil
Damaged: Nil
Losses: Nil
Pilot: OK- minor neck injury
A/C: Minor engine damage

End of report

LAC Kev 615 Sqn

Spud

Post by Spud » Mon May 05, 2014 6:38 am

Pilot Name: Spud
Call sign: Red 4
Type: Hurricane I Rotol
Marking: R for Robert
Serial Number: N2335

Synopsis:
Kenley is very nice in the summertime. They have a very good mess. Living conditions are first rate. The flight line is well kept with lots of hangers and concrete runways. I’m just a hop, skip and a jump away from London and all the city has to offer. But if I had my choice, I would rather be down on the coast in Hawkinge. Even though I’m just a colonial from the Midwest, I love the smell of the sea and the view from the cliffs. And Diane is posted there….. Being apart is terrible……

I stayed behind last night to write a few letters home while the rest of the chaps went out for a good time. So for me, this morning was pretty uneventful. I woke up after a nice night’s sleep. I think I was the only member of No. 615 that wasn’t shaking off a hangover at breakfast. Katt and Baron were busy arguing over a set of nylons as they both stumbled out of the mess. Just back from a leave in Dover, Baron was also a bit upset that the mess was out of PG Tips. Apparently, he refuses to drink any other brand of tea. Johnny was nowhere to be found. Rumor has it that he got in a bit of a scrap in a pub with some boys from the coastal artillery and is now a guest of the local Constabulary. I was told the fight was 5 against 1, which still puts Johnny at pretty good odds.

I grabbed my kit and headed off to the flight line. My mechanic, Lewis, was just finishing up some final adjustments to the newly fitted radiator on my crate. “How many holes will you come home with today, Spud”? Having just about enough of Lewis’ constant nagging, I asked, “Lewis, when can I expect you to stop giving me all this flak because I’m at my limit”. After a loud laugh, Lewis says, “Start bringing this kite back home in one piece and we will get along just fine. This old girl has been mine since we were in France. I’d like to keep her in one piece for a little while longer”. “I’ll do my best, Lewis. I wouldn’t mind staying in one piece myself”.

Once my pre-flight was completed I gathered up with the rest of Panta Sq. for our mission briefing. Looks like Jerry is going to try and have a go at our convoys in the channel. Our job was to stop that from happening. Then SL Hawes assigned us to flights. I would take the position of Red 4 on the wing of Katt in Red 3. We all went back to our Hurricanes and strapped in; waiting for the signal to go. No. 64 Sq would lead the way this time. Thank goodness. We always took off as lead squadron. It would be nice to have a different set of chaps play the part of bullet magnets for a change. 501 would follow 64 and we would take off last.

64 took their sweet time getting to the runway. I don’t know if they were busy adjusting their scarves of if the excess brylcream was getting in their eyes…… After what seemed like weeks, they were finally all lined up and given the order to take off. 501 went off without a hitch and we followed, climbing toward the coast. SL Hawes arranged our flights in a combat spread to allow each of us the ability to clear the others tail. Climbing through angels 11, I could already hear the RT crackling to life as 64 and 501 were engaged with 109’s. Finally, off in the distance I saw 4+ contacts co-alt at 11 o’clock and 10 miles. I called out the bandits and opened up my distance to red 3 just a bit more. Hawes saw the bandits as well and soon enough I saw multiple contacts at our 8 o’clock turning on us. I kept my eyes on them. Sure enough, they were 109’s and I called them out. Hawes called for Red 1 and 2 to break left and Red 3 and 4 to break right. I knew that this would put me at a bit of a disadvantage so I broke…… Hard.

Full Boost. 2800 RPM. Right bank. 90 degrees. Stick pulled hard into my gut. A little top rudder to keep things in check. The merlin screamed and the airframe groaned as I hurled around to the right, G’s crushing me into my seat greying my vision. The 109 tried to turn with me but couldn’t keep up. I did one more full circle just to be sure I was clear. Unfortunately that extra circle put me away from the fight and caused me to lose sight of Red 3. I rolled wings level just in time to link up behind Hurricane U for uncle and the rest of his flight as we went barreling into the furball.

Then, at my 11 o’clock low, I spotted them. 9 plus bombers all flying line abreast toward the ships. “Tally-Ho on the bombers!! 11 o’clock low”, I called as I rolled my crate left to dive on them head on. As I got closer I could make out the gull wings and dangling legs of the Hun dive bombers. I keyed the mike and called them out. “Stuka’s boys. Stuka’s. Angels 12 over the ships”! And just as I got close, they all dove on the ships with those blasted sirens screaming. I was lined up perfectly with one but I lost sight as we dove through the clouds. Damn! I’ll have to wait till she drops her eggs!! I popped out of the clouds…… Blast!! I’m way too low. I chopped the boost and hauled back on the stick until I almost blacked out; skimming the waves as I recovered. There were now 10 plus Stuka’s about 500 feet above me. Perfect!! Their gunners can’t get me from below. I pulled up underneath the 1st Stuka on the right while still carrying a ton of E from my dive. A long burst into her belly and the right wing separated. As I climbed through the rest of the bombers, I watched over my shoulder as she went in. “I’ll confirm that one!!” crackled over the RT!! Good show!! One down and many more to go. I rolled left to dive on the other side of the formation. Coming down on the left side, I put a good burst into the outer-most hun. Thick black smoke poured from the cowling as I flew past. I knew that one wouldn’t make it home so I gave him a 1 finger salute and moved on to the next one. Scratch that one as a probable. I moved over to pick out another victim and lined up my sights. Just as I pressed the trigger, a blasted Brylcreamer cuts me off and starts shooting all around my target. He may have gotten a couple hits in but the hun kept flying. I looped over to try and finish him off. One quick burst and my tracers went yellow. Damn!! I’m down to my last burst. I took steady aim and fired the last of my rounds causing some light damage and a little venting. Oh well. So much for being an ace in a day.

I called Winchester and SL Hawes ordered me to RTB. I broke away from the fight and headed towards shore. I wanted to steer clear of the ships as I was certain there were still 109’s around there. Low and with no ammo is not a smart place to be in a dogfight. As I swung to the west of the ships gaining some altitude, I could see Hawkinge off my left wing. I thought about just popping in there for a bit. I’d get a chance to meet up with Diane again. But I thought better of it. I knew the SL would have my ass on a platter if he knew I was out gallivanting in a perfectly good fighter plane pursuing romantic endeavors. There’s a war on for Pete’s sake. So I made my way for Kenley instead. Not being familiar with the area, I had a bugger of a time finding the damn place. It wasn’t until I saw Biggin Hill’s distinctive 3 arrow shaped runways that I finally got my bearings.

Katt was pulling top cover over the field as I approached home plate. From the chatter on the RT, it sounded like most of us in 615 made it back for a change. I called a 2 mile left base for runway 28, completed my before landing checklist and settled in for landing. Once I pulled off the active, I taxied to the parking area and shut the crate down. “How much damage, Spud”? asked Lewis as the prop slowed to a stop. “All is well, Lewis. Out of ammo and almost out of gas. Otherwise, all is well”. “There you go, Mate. It’s about time you started getting it right!” Lewis said as he slapped me on the back. “Mate? Lewis, you called me Mate. That doesn’t mean you like me now, does it”? I asked. “Well, don’t press your luck yet”… Lewis replied.

Claims:
Destroyed: 1 JU-87
Probable: 1 JU-87
Damaged: 1 JU-87

Losses:
Pilot: Happy as a clam
Aircraft: No damage
Yes........ I AM what's wrong with the world today....... Deal with it!!

Robo

Post by Robo » Mon May 05, 2014 9:00 am

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron

Squadron code: "SD"

Pilot name: Robo.

Date: 25th July 1940

Time: 1400hrs
Landed: crashlanded nearby a friendly ship
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: U for Uncle
Serial number: R4105

Synopsis:

Took of with No.501 and climbed hard towards the convoy. Visual contact with both Freema and Panta squadrons, we approached the combat zone from the south, at Angels 20+. Spitfires reported contact with the enemy fighters and some 501 chaps in the front confirmed and joined in merrily, but the bombers where nowhere to be seen. I kept on looking for them as I stayed way back of the formation due to overheating issues. Fierce fighting was to be heard on the R/T, we gave the Hun some good bashing, but I have also heard a few of ours being engaged and hit. Bugger.

I attacked one 109 in a steep climb and gave him a quick burst before he disappeared down again. I observed hits in fuselage section just after the pilot and in the tail. Hits had no major effect I then got in position behind another 109, probably his wingman, and closed in rather slowly. He spotted me soon enough, rolled over and dived. I only scored some minor hits in the wing and rear fuselage. I claim these 2 enemy fighters as damaged as I disengaged and kept my altitude for the bombers. I then spotted a Spitfire chasing a 109 southwards, closed in slowly to help, but that was not necessary at all - Spitfire got quickly into position and shot this 109 down. I confirm enemy aircraft destroyed S of the convoy at Angels 22. I have seen the German fighter trailing smoke on sea level.

In the meantime, enemy dive bombers were reported in the area - shooting them down was my main job after all. Unfortunately, they apparently started dropping their bombs before I could spot and engage them. I kept on looking, but all I've seen were friendlies or 109s way too low to attack. I stayed on the eastern side of the convoy and dropped to Angels 15, looking for any Hurricane I can pair with. Then I spotted a pair flying rather low, heading towards France. Spitfire chasing a Hun - good. I checked his 6 in case he was being dragged, and there he was, 109 closing in onto his six. Full power, dive dive dive. I had no comms with Freema, so I asked the W/Cdr Osprey to give them a shout. Spitfire! Break break break! And he did, nic and steep evasive action. I got closer, my Merlin roaring at full power, 109 goes vertical to attack that Spitfire again, I am sure he has no idea I am here. And about to hit him. First burst from point blank ripped his ugly yellow nose apart, he trembled mid air, engine smoking. I passed him and climbed into a tight loop, using all my E to slide behind him and I gave him another 2 second burst. Tally-bloody-ho! He's going down! I claim 1x Bf 109 destroyed about 8 miles of French coast, Angels 3. Spitfire turned back, so did I, and we climbed away from this dangerous zone.

Back at Angels 15, I am trying to help some friendlies, who are still fighting above the convoy, but I got there too late. Another big formation of bombers, this time Ju-88s closed in and hit the ships. We lost 3 Hurricanes in very short time. Then I seen one turning towards me, dark brown, must be one of ours. Bollocks, it's a 109! I got him into cheeky trap as he was trying his tricks on the vertical, and a few moments later, I was on his 6. He dove away and then came back again, just to find me on his 6 again. I hit him in the fuselage and wings, massive leak from both rads. He's not making it home. That will make him remember that Hurricane is a marvelous machine Tommy can fly better than some pesky Hun in a 109.

With no enemy fighters around, I attacked one of returning Ju 88s. He went in in flames, I claim one 88 destroyed. I tried to chase a 109 way below me, but despite the long dive, I was unable to catch him. I turned arend and attacked another 2 Ju 88s with P/O Bully. I confirm 1x Ju 88 destroyed by P/O Bully, he was losing altitude, struggling with a dead and damaged engine. I damaged the other one, but unfortunately I got hit by defensive fire and ended up with a nasty oil patch on my windscreen. I claim 1x 88 damaged, with great difficulty, I made it back to our ships and with prop wind milling, I ditched my trusty Hurricane in the sea just half a mile away from on of the ships, while P/O Bully provided me some cover. The chaps onboard were ot quite in the friendliest mood, but got us some whiskey as they kept on talking about bloody RAF not protecting the convoys. Luckily for me, they have seen me getting the Ju 88 ablaze right over their heads and I confirmed that the Kenley wing did everything possible to protect them from german bombs. I didn't even had to tell them how many friends have I lost today. Tally ho!

Claims:

Destroyed: 2 x Bf 109
1 x Ju 88
Damaged: 2 x Bf 109
1 x Ju 88

Aircraft: crash landed after engine failure
Last edited by Robo on Mon May 05, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random

Re: Kanalkampf. Mission 14: 25th July 1940

Post by Random » Mon May 05, 2014 11:01 am

Pilot Name: Random
Type: Hurricane I
Marking: N
Serial Number:

Synopsis:
Was due to fly as leader of blue section but had technical difficulties... After a couple of minutes I was ready to go but the rest of 615 was already enroute to dover.

Managed to catch up with the rest of the chaps as we crossed the coast about 20 miles west of dover. Met EA above Dover before we could reach the convoy and engaged. As usual total chaos ensued. I pulled the plug and managed to hit a 109 but to no obvious effect before he disappeared. After a few minutes trying and failing to find the enemy, every time I got onto the six of another aircraft it turned out to be a hurri!

Hollywood was engaging a 109 low and inland of dover and calls me in to watch his six. Identifying both aircraft in the weeds I stay high to insure nobody gets the jump on him. I spot a nasty little yellow nose eying him up slightly above me and sneak in behind. As he dived I latched on and stayed saddled up for the next few minutes taking shots whenever the opportunity presented. After the third burst I spot DeWilde detonations all over his wing roots and he promptly starts to shower my windscreen with coolant at this point I hear hollywood excitedly announcing he got his hun but I couldn't confirm. Another long burst walking the rounds into my 109's canopy and its night night gerry! EA eventually crashed just to the north of dover. Hollywood saw him go in.

I prepare to return to kenley as ammunition must be low by now when the WingCo calls out that bombers have been spotted approaching the convoy. Against my better judgement I turn and begin a full power climb to read them.

1st pass I score some hits on a JU88, and on my second pass the guns run dry. I break off and return to kenley

On returning I was gladdened to hear everyone was OK, although one aircraft was lost the pilot bailed safely.

Claims
Destroyed: 1 BF109
Probably: 0
Damaged: 1 BF109, 1 JU88

Losses:
A/C: OK

Redeye

Post by Redeye » Mon May 05, 2014 11:25 am

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Redeye
Call sign: White 2
Type: Spitfire mk Ia
Marking: P - Pip
Serial Number: K9964

Synopsis:

64 vectored to smash incoming raid against shipping in the Dover area. Formed up and climbed to angels 15.
Made conctact and engaged 15+ Bf 109 from JG. 26 over the patrol area and a large dogfight ensued after with more fighters joining in from both sides.

In turning to stay with White 1, I suddenly had a 109 in front of me and then another even closer. I blasted him from 100- yards and scored hits but did not inflict critical damage. The E/A the proceeded to dive headlong into the harbour area, but I was reluctant to give away my position so I let him go. I claim this Bf 109 as damaged.

Climbing back up I circled the massive furball, watching a Hurricane being shot in flames by a Bf-109. I did not see the letters of the butning Hurricane, but I did manage to pick up the attacker. After climbing with this 109 for some time I found that I was not alone in the chase, and that it was in fact White 1 who joined the hunt. After a number of zooms and dives I managed to position myself for a shot from dead six at about 250 yards, taking out the 109's radiators. This E/A then went into a spin, and I fired again, this time closer and observing more hits. The E/A fell into a downward spiral, where I joined in and we scissored eachother. The enemy pilot managed to outwit me and finally got in a short snapshot, but it was only superfical damage. I lost this E/A after. I claim theis E/A as damaged.

Rejoining the furball over Dover I picked up another 109 and fought with him in a series of boom and zooms before he dived away, making for Cap Griz Nez. At this point I had worked up a veritable bloodlust and decided to throw the kitchen sink, following the beast to his lair. I followed to the french coast over the wavetops and let loose with my 303's at long range (300 yards). He managed to shake me and the called up his colleagues who proceeded to give me a beating and then some.

Suddenly, a 50/50 cocktail of blood and oil sprayed my windshield. My arm had been nicked. The sound of projectiles slamming into my airframe. This was going to be the end of this trip. I managed to keep my trusty Spitfire afloat long enough for me to pop the hood and bail out. Two 109's circled me. One of the pilots waved. No doubt it was the one I had tried to kill minutes earlier.

Even though I was just a couple opf minutes out from France, a fastboat from his Majesty's Navy picked me up. I was given a blanket and a nice, stiff drink as the resque craft headed back to England at full speed. The CO isn't going to like this one bit...

Live to fight another day.
Claims:

Destroyed: Nil
Probably: Nil
Damaged: 2 x 109
Losses:
Pilot: OK- flesh wound in left arm.
A/C: Lost

End of report
Last edited by Redeye on Mon May 05, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Binkitone

Post by Binkitone » Mon May 05, 2014 12:05 pm

Form 540
Mission 14
Squadron 64
Aerodrome: Kenley
Aeroplane: Spitfire 1a (100oct) / SH-W Serial number: K9964

Synopsis:
The second sortie of the day, mid afternoon, there has been no respite from Jerry. Again, strapped into my Spit, fully fuelled, engine warming up, directional gyro set to the compass and ready to taxi out to the runway first before our lads from 501 and 615.
Then 'damn it, the bloody engine, suddenly sputtered to a stop', ground crew frantically shaking heads in disbelief. After ten minutes with the crew fiddling under nose, they managed to fire her up again, beaming smiles all round. By that time, I could see the rest of the squadron already aligned on the runway, without using the taxiway, I cut across the grass directly to join, but by that time I approached, the two Hurricane squadrons were occupying the rear and Spits, with no time to delay were now roaring down the runway. Needless to say I was late in the air on a heading of 120 as reported by S/L Gromic Red Leader One. I climbed steeply to join Red Flight, whom were now at 10k on route to Dover, I reach the coast at Dungeness at 15k, banked hard left on heading of 50 for Dover, at 18k I soon caught sight in distance, contacts, a large formation at about 12k, with others milling above, reported to be Spits, engagements with 109s, pointing my nose in that direction I was soon within the mire, chasing a 109 in a shallow dive, closing gradually, it abruptly climbed, passing my gun sight, I gave a split second burst, with some effect, at the top of the climb, simultaneously we both stalled together to fall in different directions, for me, just to find it at a much far greater distance below me, then followed by similar brief engagements at between ten and fourteen thousand feet in cloud over our convoy, south of Dover.
Instructions directly from our 'Wing co' to engage immediately a large formations of bombers heading for the convey. Following another Spit in shallow right turn the targets were plainly visible, line abreast with our boys already engaging. There appeared to be no escort, so I chose the far left had side identified as Ju-88s, with a diving turn, I managed to give a couple seconds burst of eight guns noting hits, to pull-up clear. I came around again, hearing others applying their trade, approached in a steeper dive to align up foolishly on the stern of a far right bomber, warnings from Tyrone that a 109 was there on six of a Spit! Taking a chance it was not me and committed to my target. I closed to convergence range, giving a long burst to witness bellowing smoke emitted as the Ju-88 as it peeled over. Consequently, I also received engine damage, pointed my Spit down towards Hawkinge, I found myself at 5k with a dead engine and a oiled smeared windscreen, with canopy open and leaning out into the airstream, I aim for the aerodrome. Losing height faster than expected I crashed landed short of Hawkinge into a village hitting a building.
Telegram to my next of kin.

Claims
Destroyed: 1 x Ju-88
Probable:0
Damaged: 1x109 and 1 x Ju-88

Lost
Pilot status: KIA
A/C : Lost

Bully

Post by Bully » Mon May 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Squadron code: SD
Pilot name: Bully
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: B for Beer
Serial number: L2038

After flying out with 501 towards Dover and angels 20, 64 Squadron called over the radio that they had contact with enemy 109s over Deal. We turned over mighty Hurricanes towards the area and soon caught sight of a massive dogfight at around angels 17/18. F/O Teepee led 501 round the the left and we got stuck in.

There were planes everywhere, but it took a while before anyone made visual contact with the Hun. P/O Meaker soon called out that he had spotted a yellow nose, and soon they started to appear all over the place. It was a few seconds until I made caught a glimpse of two 109s passing underneath me. I rolled over, and set off in pursuit.. Flying as a pair, they started to climb and I soon started to lose ground on them.

Giving up on chasing them, I turned back and headed towards Deal. Another 109 soon passed my nose, again slightly lower than me. This time I held my speed and got with range. I don't think he knew I was there, so closed up as much as I could. Peering down the gun sight, the enemy aircraft soon filled it. I gave him two squirts of about two seconds each. The first burst passed by the starboard wing, the second burst hit, but I don't think it caused any serious damage. He now noticed I was behind him, and he started to dive away. Initially I gave chase but as before, I could not keep up. The 109 carried on losing altitude and I decided that I was not going to follow, so pulled up and tuned back towards Dover.

F/O Teepee called out that he had two 109s on him just in land over Dover, on the deck. I was some way out, but I made for his direction. I could see multiple low level dogfights as I crossed the coast at angels 8. By the time I had worked out which was Teepee, I was to late, and he had suffered significant damage. As I was flying low inland of Dover, I did see a Hurricane set a 109 on fire, so can confirm this if anyone wants to claim it. I met up with F/O Bunny over Dover Harbour and started to look for the next target.

Thanks to the RDF, a formation of bombers had been detected heading towards to ships. Along with Bunny and a gaggle of unidentified Hurricanes and Spitfires, we headed out to engage. I pointed my trusty Hurricane at the front of the group, and made a head on pass. I only managing to get a few hits on the rear JU-88. I took a few hits form the gunners in the bombers, but nothing of any consequence. I pulled my Hurricane to the left of the group, and climbed up to make another pass.

By the time I had gained altitude, the '88s and started to make their bomb run. The ships were soon burning, time to make the Hun pay for this. Now the enemy formation had split up, it was a lot easier to attack them with less guns shooting back at you. I saw two of them in between the ships and Dover, so went in for the attack. The first one I managed to get very good hits into, and his port engine started to die, and he was leaking everywhere. He lost altitude and hit the water.

The second enemy had managed to escape, but I saw caught sight of him, just to the North East of the convoy. I closed in and again gave him a good few of my Dewilde. I think he must have been damaged already, as he was leaking before I shot at him, so did not go back in for the kill, and left him.

Enemy contact were getting fewer, but P/O Robo reported that he was chasing a 109 back over the channel, so headed to give him help. I caught sight of him diving onto the enemy, but he informed me that he ha not managed to gain enough ground to get a shot. Below where Robo had engaged the 109, were two more JU-88s. Still carrying a bit of ammo, I was soon on the six of the bombers to the left of the small formation. I lined up, and after a few bullets in to both engines, turned my attention to the other one. By now Robo had come back to have a pop at them as well, and a I saw him get hits into the bomber to the right of the pair. With fuel now starting to run out, I decided to empty the last of my ammo in the same bomber and get home. The first bomber I had attack was now struggling, and his port engine had died and his starboard was not far way from the same fate. I had fewer bullets left than I thought so put them in the the other bomber and turned tail for home.

The 88 had managed to get a luckily shot into Robo, whose engine was dying. After seeing him safely ditch in the Channel I radioed his position the ASR and headed for Kenley. Most of 501 had now disappeared from the radio and after P/O Bonkin reported that he was on the ground at Kenley, I think I was the last one from the squadron up. It was at this point I had a decision to make. I was on my auxiliary tank, but one the gunners in the 88 had rendered my compass useless. I could take the easy option and land one of the coastal airfields, or try at make it back to Kenley, by sight.

I chose the later and set course for the direction of where I thought home base was. The countryside after you get in land is covered by a array of small rivers. So I looked at my map and chose one that led home and followed it. Soon to be home for a stiff one I thought. My fuel gauge had other ideas about this, Even flying around on low pitch and throttle. When it was down to 1 gallon, I had to find a nice field to land in. I knew that the some of the fields around here had aircraft traps in them so a road would be a safer option.

A suitable landing strip soon came into view, and I dropped my undercarriage and flaps so that if my engine died they would be down. With my nose pointed down the road, I hoped that there would be nobody going for an afternoon cycle. I made text book landing, bouncing down the road until I stopped just before a wire fence. Killing the engine, I climbed out to find that the field beyond said fence was being worked by a group of land girls. They came running over the check I was ok. After telling my story with a dash and heroism and cunning, one of them informed me that the tractor they had been using was broken and would I mind going to have a look. After giving the nipples a good greasing, she was soon purring like a kitten. I left the land girls to their work and went and sat by my Hurricane, awaiting a bus from base.

Claims
Destroyed: 1 x JU-88
Probable : 1 x JU-88
Damaged: 1 x ME-109 & 2 X JU-88

Losses
Pilot - OK
A/C – Serviceable, but in need of some fuel.

Mauf

Post by Mauf » Mon May 05, 2014 1:12 pm

Squadron code: SD
Pilot name: Mauf
Type: Hawker Hurricane I
Marking: "D for Don"
Serial number: LI898

Synopsis:

Take off and flight towards target area over Dover/Deal area. Engaged in combat with 109 at altitude of about angels 18.
During chase after said 109, got jumped by a second probably coming out of a cloud, taking out my radiator and
damaging my right landing gear. Disengaged and limped the AC back to Hawkinge for an emergency crash landing.

Claims:
Nothing

Losses:
A/C: Heavy damage to engine block, fuselage and right wing due to the crash landing.

Dange

Post by Dange » Mon May 05, 2014 1:50 pm

Squadron: No. 64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Dange
Type: Spitfire Ia (100)
Marking:M
Serial number: N 3122

64 squadron lifted off with minimum fuss , formed up and proceeded to make our way toward Dunkirk to provide cover for a convoy heading down the channel. Lots of action with bombers low and 109s high and low. Got mixed up in a large furball with 109s everywhere. After dodging and chasing at around 15k feet I slipped lower and id a large formation of bombers around 5k feet heading east over the convoy. Dropped down and confirmed them to be JU 87s. Engaged with them and scored hits on three ,resulting in all three to vent. Now winchester , I proceeded to Hawkinge and landed.

Claims
Destroyed:
Probable :
Damaged: 3 X JU-87

Losses
Pilot - OK
A/C – OK