Kanalkampf. Mission 17: 5th August 1940

RAF flight reports for the epic ACG Historical Campaign - "Peace In Our Time" covering the Fall of France and the Battle of Britain. We are recruiting new pilots so you can join this - post in the Reception to request a seat. This forum is publically viewable.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Administration Staff, Skin Team, Treasurers

Tyrone
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Kanalkampf. Mission 17: 5th August 1940

Post by Tyrone » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:37 pm

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron code: "SH"
Pilot name: Tyrone
Base: Hawkinge
Type: Spitfire Ia
Marking: T

Claims
Destroyed: none
Probable: 1
Damaged: 2x Me109

Pilot: OK
A/C: OK

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:59 pm

Squadron: No.501 "County of Gloucester" Squadron
Squadron code: "SD"
Pilot name: Bonkin
Date: 5th August 1940
Type: Hawker Hurricane Ia
Marking: "Z for Zebra"
Serial number: P3803

Synopsis
Took off to intercept radar contacts over channel heading towards Folkstone. CAVOK 1/8 Oktas SCT. Engaged by Me109’s mid channel. Enemy bombers turned and fled. Damaged 1 Me109s and 2 Bf110’s. Recovered safely back to Hawkinge.

Engine Start 0755
Brakes Off 0758
Brakes On 0855
Engine Shutdown 0856

Full Report
The battle is continuing and the dastardly huns are making repeated attacks against our shipping in the channel. At readiness at Hawkinge the Merlins were already singing when the reports of contacts crackled over the R/T. For today’s mission I was designated to lead Green Section with F/Sgt Sabre as Green 2 and Sgt Fang as Green 3.

Despite a slight mishap with No.615 behind us, No.501 roared off into the blue in spectacular style and began our climb up to the bandit’s altitude at an incredible 2000ft/min. We left the coast between Dover and Folkstone and then the eagle eyes of PO Bully spotted the invaders over Cap Griz Nez. It looked like they were without cover so the boss called “Tally Ho” and led us in the direction. I ordered Green section to carry on climbing – which was fortuitous because snappers were then sighted above the bombers.

Green section headed for the first wave – but then incredibly they started a cowardly turn back to France. The sight of the incredible 501 had obviously caused them to fill their lederhosen. With some glee the boss ordered us to attack the enemy fighters and very quickly we merged into a left orbit and the sky became a mass of swirling combats.

Green 3 was unfortunately knocked out in this first conflagration and I was separated from Green 2. I managed to get onto the six of a 109, but another Hurricane turned in front of me and gave him a squirt which missed. This put the 109 pilot into a state of panic and he spun down in a port corkscrew manoeuvre. As he did so I gave him a blast of my eight powerful .303 browning’s from 250yds and observed several hits in his fuselage. Aware of tracer fire behind me I pulled off to see a yellow nosed rotter trying to get behind me but I easily evaded him in my incredible machine.

With the sky clearing I indicated to Green section to go after the bombers and I closed on a couple of Bf110’s at Angels 10. In a climbing turn I got some hits on the starboard wing of the first which set him venting. A single 109 tried to six me but again I easily evaded him in my trusty Hurricane. I wished for more speed though because the rotter ran away in a climb and I just could not catch him.

It was at this point that I sighted the second Bf110. Somebody had obviously got some hits into him because his port engine was on fire and trailing black smoke. As I watched the fire went out and the smoke eased. I determined not to let the Fritz get away so I closed onto his six and put some more deWilde into him. A pesky 109 had obviously seen what I was up to and was closing at my six so I unfortunately had to break away.

After this the sky seemed to clear. Over the R/T I could hear that there were some combats occurring over the Cap so I headed that way to see if I could be of any assistance but it all seemed to dissipate by the time I got there. With fuel getting low I set course for home and made a safe and uneventful recovery back to Hawkinge along with Green 2, Blue Leader and the maverick Gold Leader.

Claims
Destroyed: 0
Probable: 0
Damaged: 2x Bf110, 1x Me109

Losses

Footage of the event:

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:18 pm

Squadron Code: KW
Pilot Name: Johnny
Date: 5 August 1940
Time: 0730
Type: Hawker Hurricane
Marking: Z
Serial Number: L1592

Synopsis: Took off from Hawkinge as yellow leader with Spud and Midge on my wing. We intercepted the blighters mid channel. I got split up from the main group and went after the 109s. I popped a 109s rad and damaged another 109. Then a 110 flew in front of me and I gave him a good spray with my brownings. He went down in flames. Kev confirmed the kill. I got a burst into a streaming 109 before running out of ammo. He was shared with a pilot from 501.

CLAIMS:
Destroyed: 1
Probable: 1
Damaged: 1
Shared: 1
Losses
Pilot: Minor flesh wound
A/C: A few bullet holes in left wing due to 110 gunner

Vranac

Post by Vranac » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Squadron: No.64 Squadron
Squadron Code: SH
Pilot Name: Vranac
Date: 5th August 1940
Time: 08:00
Aerodrome: Hawkinge
Type: Spitfire Ia
Marking: V

Takeoff from Hawkinge and climbed over Dover. We were vectored toward France expecting a big enemy bomber formation. We spotted them and there were many other aeroplanes above them like a swarm of bees. There were a lot of Hurricanes but I picked one Me109 and damaged him badly. His coolant was leaking and he went down so I didn't follow. I turned back to England and spotted a few aeroplanes turning low at the deck.Spotted one Hurri chasing a Me109 but he was too slow. I dived and caught him up. He was scissoring to avoid me but I managed to damage his cooling and when trying to finish him Hurricane went in head on with him leaving the Me109 without a wing.
Poor guy bailed out. Landed at Hawkinge.

Claims
Destroyed: 1 x Me109 shared
Probable: 1 x Me109
Damaged: none