Into the Long Dark - a sort of Captain's Log

We don't just fly

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Boyezee

Re: Into the Long Dark - a sort of Captain's Log

Post by Boyezee » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:12 pm

Steam have it on sale with a 33% discount for this weekend, tempting...

Krass

Post by Krass » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:16 pm

Works great with everything you already have as well. HOTAS, rudder pedals and track ir are great with this sim.
“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.”

Midge

Post by Midge » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:27 pm

Impressive stuff Broadsword,err when you get to where your going plant the flag old chap---I've just bought the game,i'm at the learning parking,three point turns and stopping stage.This no up and the non gravity thingy is shredding my head at the mo :?

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:50 pm

Part Three - In Search of Liberty

I stayed in orbit around New Gravesend for a long time, drinking in the details of my new world. Eventually though it was time to set off once more, and so I fired up the nav computer and plotted a course towards my current goal, the Statue of Liberty Nebula.

Farewell my faithful minions

Of course, no explorer worth his salt can stick to the straight path, so along the way I'm often drawn to check out the sights. On jump eighteen out of New Gravesend (125 out of Achelous) I find nice chocolatey sort of planet, but there's nothing of value here.

Maybe we could use it as a venue for hen nights?

Then on jump 27 I find a system with two terraforming candidates. The slightly disturbing thing is that one of them is a water planet with active life, but a surface temp of -26'C. I guess the water here must be very salty, very alcohol-y, or both.

If we can find a fish that tastes of lime we're in business!

Further out there are rock rings...

Of all the rocks, this is my favourite

...and misty ice rings...

Stop worrying, nobody ever got hurt by huge blocks of colliding ice. Did they?

...and all manner of pretty cool stuff. But the thing that started to dominate the view by around jump fifty was a cluster of bright blue stars about sixty light years to the right of my main route.

Pictured - Centre, the place I said I was going. Right, the place I'm suddenly more interested in.

Well, there was no way I could pass this up, so I plotted a new course and went to investigate the cluster of hot, massive stars. Buried in amongst the blazing suns were four black holes and two neutron stars. Carefully visiting them all has brought me scan data that should sell for about 120,000 credits. Exploration will never make me rich.

But at least I'll get to meet my own great great great grandchildren

Some of the systems were quite beautiful, with multiple massive stars looping around each other.

The fat one balances out the two thin ones...

At one stage I thought I'd found a possible Earthlike candidate. It was circling around the secondary star of a very wide binary system, 350,000 light seconds away! The trip was a bust, since the planet was worthless, but around the halfway point I reached my fastest non-jump speed yet, 876 times the speed of light.

My brains are going into my feet!

Finally, having explored my way through the long chain of blue stars I found myself only about 70 lightyears from my goal. Deciding against any further detours I made a couple of full-range hops and found myself hanging in space, with the Statue of Liberty Nebula filling my viewports.

It's ok, but it smells a bit

So, having reached my second goal, 200 jumps and 3500ly from Sol, it was time to decide - time to go home, or press onwards to pastures new...
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:54 am

Pastures new!! We want more! Even if they're the smelly bits :D

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:34 pm

Every time I look at this thread it makes me want to play. Problem with being set up for flight simming though means if I want to casually fly about on Elite for a bit I've got to cart out the pedals, extended stick, throttle quadrant and all the other assorted paraphernalia.

I'm genuinely considering plugging in one of my old Logitech 3D Pros just for playing Elite with.

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:03 pm

You can use all that stuff with Elite. That's what I did when I briefly played it.

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:08 pm

I know, but I don't like going to the trouble of getting it all out for a casual fly about in space, tbh.

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:45 am

Quick, quick! Get the flag out!
Brilliant! :lol: I'd seen this thread before but hadn't bothered to read it until now. I'm glad I did because it is beautifully written with plenty of humour and wit - and it makes me want to play the game, which I've got - but I threw myself into without reading too much of the documentation and consequently I suck at it.

Keep these tales of exploration coming please Broadsword. I'm loving it!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:58 am

Great stuff Broadsword!

Although I do hold you personally responsible for my new all-consuming addiction to Elite :joyman: