Goin' to the Mun, be right back!

We don't just fly

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Broadsword

Goin' to the Mun, be right back!

Post by Broadsword » Sun May 08, 2016 3:46 pm

Sooo, I figure Kerbal Space Program is nothing new to a lot of you guys, but they've just had an update to version 1.1 so I decided the time was ripe to do something I've never done in KSP - a trip to the Mun, Apollo-style!

I've been to the Mun and beyond many times in KSP, in many different ways. I've built spaceplanes, single-stage round trip ships, orbiting stations that drop dozens of tiny rovers, self-sufficient Munbases etc etc. But for some reason I've never done an honest-to-goodness Apollo-style mission, with a single multi-stage streamlined rocket (no boosters, no asparagus-staging, not even any onion-staging) carrying three Kerbonauts, a command/service module, a two-stage Mun-lander (descent and ascent, duh!) and a Munrover.

Our befuddled victims gallant heroes prepare to board the crew bus for the launch site - Bob, Jeb and Bill Kerman. No, wait, isn't that Jeb on the left? Whatever...

This plan took up a surprising amount of time tinkering in the Vehicle Assembly Building, trying to achieve something like the right power without crossing the all-important 'it's going to blow itself apart' line. The test runs were fun, loud, and extremely dangerous for any kerbals living downrange, but finally a design was locked in.

No, honestly, it's bigger than average. It's just looks a bit short from this angle.

After all the testing, it was time to paste on the mission flags and roll out our final design. I'm slightly concerned that it looks far too much like a 'proper' rocket, instead of the kind of ramshackle cobbled-together engineer's fevre dream that the KSP design process normally conjures up. This could not possibly bode well. I'd decided on a night launch, because night is the best time for the kind of fireworks display that this threatened to turn into.

We filled the nosecone with red and green sparklers just in case.

Despite its size, it seems to sit fairly steadily on the pad. I seem to have avoided the usual KSP problem of bendy rockets. Of course, it remains to be seen how it holds together once we release the four hu-feckin-mungous docking clamps and fire the seven gigantonormous primary engines.

This seems like a nice safe place to observe the launch from.

Anyway, the important thing now is to get launched before anyone chickens out and tries to test the escape chute (spoiler - there is no escape chute. KSP missions are all or nothing affairs so strap in and shut up).

Shit! I accidentally hit the button with my elbooooow...!

So, we're off to the Mun and there's nothing to stand in our way. Apart from poor design decisions, shoddy engineering, pilot error, and the sheer bloody-minded obstinacy of the laws of physics. So no worries then...

"Woohoo! Goodbye Kerbin. Goodbye Mum, goodbye Dad... erm, goodbye lunch!"

The engines all run up smoothly and our rocket, well, rockets in to the night sky. I've not really run any acceleration simulations so at this stage I don't know how she'll behave, but I do know that despite her enormous size the phenomenal first stage engines give us the thrust to weight ratio of Warwick Davies in a Ferrari. As a result, as we pass through the 10km mark we also go through the sound barrier, causing some interesting and unnerving vibrations.

In future years, the vessel would be used as an 'entertainment' ride for lady-kerbals.

Despite the shaky ride, the ship holds together in a triumphant marketing victory for the Kerbal sticky-tape industry. At this point the sensible thing would be to back the engines off a little before our Kerbonauts are turned into little green smears in their seats (or at least make little green smears in their seats). But this is Kerbal Space Program (!) where our engines only have three settings - 'Off', 'On' and 'Scattered in Tiny Pieces Across the Cosmos'! - so we keep the throttle firewalled, waiting with interest to see how things turn out.

Pretty much as expected, actually.

By 20km altitude we're travelling fast enough to experience re-entry heating in reverse! Fortunately the air is getting pretty thin up here, so the flames subside before I'm forced to make a choice between a cowardly thrust reduction and crispy fried Kerbals. We escape the atmosphere of Kerbin, the roaring and shaking dies down, and we start to circularise the orbit in peace and quiet.

Hey! Where'd the planet go?

About halfway through the circularisation burn our first stage is depleted and we eject the enormous engines and even more enormouser fuel tanks...

"That's funny. The damage doesn't look as bad from out here."

As the second stage fires up, the first stage, engine bells still glowing from the incredible heat they've generated, starts the long fall back to Kerbin. This first stage will not make a controlled descent and land on a ship to be reused, because this is not SpaceX and we are neither environmentally friendly or technologically proficient. The is Kerbal Space Program (!) so the fate of the first stage is probably fifty-fifty between 'exploded magnificently somewhere over the ocean' and 'survived re-entry heating to plough into a major population centre as a sort of glob of semi-molten metal and sharp pointy bits'.

Either way, we don't care because we don't live down there!

The second stage has much lower thrust, but we're a lot lighter now (having already burned over two-thirds of the energy that we'll need for this whole mission) so we're still able to achieve levels of acceleration that require the use of nappies. Before long we've achieved a nice stable Kerbin orbit and are in good position for our Trans-Munar injection burn. Time to light the candle once more and steer roughly in the direction of our target. What could possibly go wrong?

"Goin to the Mun, be right back..?"
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Broadsword

Re: Goin' to the Mun, be right back!

Post by Broadsword » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:17 pm

Well, nobody asked for it so here it is! The not-longed-for second installment in the hardly-remembered space-based tall-tall with short-dudes, "Goin' to the Mun, be right back!"

To come clean, I'm about to embark on an FSX-based travelogue, and I always feel a bit shitty if I've left something unfinished so I'm going to try and wrap up this piece of crap during the preparations for the new thing. So without further ado, here comes the second episode of GTTMBRB, "This is going to happen, so you might as well try to enjoy it."

When we left our three little green conscripts they had just accidentally re-ignited their ship's second stage engine which flung them out of Kerbin orbit and into the stereotypically inky blackness of space.

To go boldly where no grammatically correct Kerbals have gone before.

Covering up their mistake by calling it a 'Trans-Munar injection burn', they took a few minutes to adjust their trajectory so that they would come close to the Mun without making Kerbnews reporters start using words like 'collision', 'impending', or 'atomised'.

Yes, yes, we know what it looks like. Stop sniggering at the back.

The ship is actually still in decent shape, having survived the rigours of launch in surprisingly good order. The second stage tank is pretty much empty, and having discovered that the scientists were right and there really isn't any air up here we have no more need for aerodynamics, so it's time to press one of the buttons marked 'controlled explosion' and hope that our design is half as clever as it's supposed to be.

"Ta-daaa!" Also, "Phew!"

Since our original aim was to make an Apollo-style Munshot, we've gone the whole hog and made the lander section completely seperate from the Command and Service Can. Just as in the real (and considerably better planned) Apollo missions, our CSC breaks away from the rest of the Trans-Munar stage...

We didn't need any of that complicated-looking shit, right?

...and then oh-so-carefully turns arse over tit in order to dock with the Munlander and extract it from it's cradley-thing.

Huh. I guess we'd better go back for it then. We're supposed to line up flag-to-flag, right?

Having accomplished the only really technical part of this whole phase, our heroes go wobbling off into space at an odd angle whilst cranking up the tunes and popping a few bottles of champagne. The now defunct second stage makes a minor remote-controlled burn to bring it onto a collision course with the Mun, ostensibly to stop it from orbiting forever like some kind of deadly, unpredictable space-litter, but mainly because why the hell wouldn't you? I mean, BOOOOM, right?

Bugger, we left the aspirin in the other bit...

With the impromptu party over, the ship extends its tiny wings and flaps its way gently Munwards. Not really, they're just solar panels, but it doesn't stop Jeb from making whooshing noises and trying to steer with them. Unperturbed by this completely unhelpful behaviour, gravity just keeps doing its thing and so our craft drifts inexorably towards it's destination.

Is it me, or does the Mun seem to be inflating or something?

The crew remain unconcerned by this development until eventually the Mun gets too big to ignore. Even so, there seems to be little cause for panic until they discover that at the same time their home planet has shrivelled up and is trying to hide from them.

Perspective is God's way of making a Heavenly Bodies Infographic where size correlates to 'current likelihood of being horribly crashed into'.

It's a close run thing, but it seems that our calculations are correct and the ship misses the Mun by about 10km, looping around the far side and threatening to go flying off into space for eternity thanks to the slingshot effect. Thankfully we have a plan(TM) and fire up the third stage engine for a long braking burn over the cratered surface that shortens our trajectory down towards Mun orbit.

"Are we slowing down or speeding up? I don't even know which way we're pointing any more!"

Finally the burn is done and our little snotty heroes are trapped in orbit around the desolate, ugly, pointless satellite body. Remind me again why we're doing this?

Because it's there. And because it might be made of cheese. Lovely, lovely cheese.

All is quiet for a while as the ship bobbles its way through the darkness, until finally we emerge from the far side and come back into radio contact with Homebase. Not the DIY store, the bit with the launchpads where we started (officially named the B&Q Wickes Memorial Spaceport after the two brothers who founded the Kerbal Space Program. Not really, they were actually called Screwfix...)

Are we nearly there yet?

Tune in next time to see if the ship will hold together, if it will come apart when it's supposed to, and if our heroes can remember which bit they're supposed to be in...
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Gromic
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Gromic » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:28 pm

:lol: :nice:

Excellent, love the storytelling!
32 Squadron / USAAF 84 Squadron

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:43 pm

Bloody genius :lol: Can't wait for the next instalment :nice:

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:07 pm

Brilliant stuff. So glad you continued especially after you muted that you would do back at the meet.

Goat

Post by Goat » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:07 pm

This thread is awesome. Thanks for the entertainment, Broadsword.

Maltloaf
Location: Salisbury Plain, birthplace of British military aviation.

Post by Maltloaf » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:48 am

more please!
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:16 am

Broady you need to write a book I'm telling you!
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:37 pm

Episode 3: The Great Dissent Descent

We left our three terrified Kerbals locked in a low orbit around the Mun, having managed to fire their third stage engine all on their lonesomes whilst cut off from Mission Control on the far side. They then basically spent two orbits doing bugger all, waiting to see if anything exploded and trying to get their breath back. (If anyone thinks I worry too much about things unexpectedly exploding, play the game. It's a very explodey sort of a game, even by ACG standards :D )

"Well, at least there are plenty of empty parking spaces."

Having scouted out the landing area as they zipped over it at angels twenty it was time for two-thirds of our trio to leave the Command and Service Can and head over to the Munlander. The mission plan called for a drawing of straws to decide which poor bastard had to stay up on his own in the CSC, and which two gullible fucks had to try and fly the Munlander down into the unknown. Sending Bill down to the hold to fetch the straws, Jeb and Bob quickly nipped over to the Munlander and detached it before he could come back and complain.

"Ha-ha! You've got most of the air, most of the food, and the only ship capable of getting back home. Sucks to be you, loser!"

Checking out their new ship, Jeb and Bob press a few random buttons looking for the coffee-maker until they scare themselves a bit by extending the lander's legs. A trifle premature perhaps, but at least it shows a commitment to actually completing the mission. Now all they have to do is figure out the difference between the button which starts the descent engines, and the button which triggers a reactor meltdown and fuses the whole ship into a glob of cheap plastic. If you have to ask why they'd even have a button to do that, you clearly don't know much about Kerbal design priorities. Why would you not have a button that can do that?

Not to scale

Sadly the little green idiots find the engine controls first, so their entertainingly fiery death will have to wait for a while. Pointing the feeble descent engine along the line of their orbit and setting the thrust levers to 'Is it On Yet?', Jeb and Bob bimble off arse-first into oblivion, gradually slowing down enough that a collision with the rocky surface of the Mun becomes inevitable.

"Wait a second. Aren't we supposed to be getting lower?"

With the engine continuously firing and thrust levels increased to 'A Small Chihuahua Straining To Reach A Sausage That's Fallen Under The Sofa', the ship drifts downwards towards its target - the hilariously optimistically named 'Duvet Plain' on the western edge of 'Squishy Crater' in the equatorial 'Spongecake Highlands'.

Rejected alternate landing sites - 'Breezeblock Valley' or the foothills of 'Brick Shithouse Mountain'.

Cranking the thrust lever all the way up to 'Honestly, Is That As Far As It Goes?", our Kerbonauts zero out almost all of their horizontal motion and begin to fall straight down. Maybe we won't need that 'Reactor Meltdown' button anyway?

"Is it too late to change our minds?"

Eventually, after literally minutes of continuous effort, the Munlander has been steered down to within a few hundred feet of the undoubtedly-soft-and-yielding 'Duvet Plain', which actually turns out to look a lot more like 'Duvet Moderately Deep Crater Filled With Reinforced Concrete'. Jeb resolves to have words with the Cartography Department should he ever return home. For the moment however that seems an unlikely possibility, and sudden death comes rushing up to meet them like a big grey rocky thing covered in spikes.

Spikes not available in all locations.

In the end, despite the best efforts of the Mission Planners to mark this historic event with a massive reactor-meltdown-based fireworks display, Jeb pulls of an impressive and not-entirely-expected feat of piloting and plonks the Munlander down more or less successfully on Duvet Plain. I say 'more or less successfully' because he missed the flat bit in the middle and came down on the eastern edge where a hefty slope runs up towards the rim of Squishy Crater. Interestingly, despite being rocky and hard and not at all duvet-like, the surface here does manage to be rather unexpectedly slippery and the Munlander careens a couple of hundred exciting yards downhill until things level off a bit.

"Mission Control, this is Duvet Base. The Turkey has landed."

As part of my desire to do a proper Apollo-style mission, I wanted to have a working rover. In the real Apollo missions the rover was folded up for transport, fitting neatly into small bay in the descent section. Sadly I had no way to do this for my mission, so my rover was cunngingly and not-at-all-neatly stuck on to the side of the lander with an array of explosive bolts which it was now time to try out (Yippee!). The idea was that in the low gravity of the Mun, a really good set of explosive bolts could push the rover a few feet away from the lander whilst flipping it elegantly onto its wheels.

Or not.

With the rover stuck leaning drunkenly against the lander like Random at the Stanstead Hilton there was only one thing for it - it was time for Jeb, test pilot extraordinaire, aerospace engineer par excellence and Mission Commander le plus incroyable, to earn his fucking money and go and fix things! Emerging from the Munlander Jeb pauses for a moment to take in the view before slowly descending the ladder that will lead him to the dusty surface of Duvet Plain, and glory!

Distance Travelled: 250,000 miles. Distance to Next Achievement: Fifteen feet.

But here at the last, in a moment of crapness which must surely by now come as no surprise, Jeb manages to snatch the crusty sock of defeat from the pouting jaws of the voluptuous maiden victory* by using the wrong sized spanner or something. In his efforts to jiggle the rover free from its undesirable entanglement with the underside of the lander, he somehow also managed to jiggle one of the lander's legs free from its totally desirable (one might almost say 'planned' or even 'designed') attachment to the underside of the lander.

*Is there a word for an expression in which the two clauses of a statement are each individually quite evocative , but when combined together recklessly just make you go 'eurgh'?

"That's one small, green cock-up for a Kerbal, one giant headache for Mission Control..."

Now, fair-play to Jeb, Kerbals do not actually have working hands or anything in this game, so the only method he had with which to disentangle the rover was to bang into it repeatedly with his pelvis and try to nudge it clear of the obstruction. Even so, the end result was spectacularly bad, caused a big old explosion which sent the rover hurtling off down the hill, may have cost us a fuel tank, and has seriously jeopardised our chances of completing this mission safely. Brilliant! The ratings are sure to go through the roof!

To be continued...

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:10 pm

'Love it! Thanks Broadsword for a truly entertaining read.