ArmA 3 Mission Editing and Scripting

Premier FPS for wannabe war-zone enthusiasts

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Goat

ArmA 3 Mission Editing and Scripting

Post by Goat » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:17 am

This thread will be for the proliferation of ACG ArmA development. I'll edit the original post as I find out/correct new information.

Important topics:
1. How to use the mission editor.
2. How to incorporate mods.
3. How to run an ArmA 3 rented server.
4. How to keep content dense and not have it impact server performance.
5. Basic Scripting.
6. Troubleshooting.
7. Files that types of scripts need to be placed in.
8. Downloading and installing mods.
9. Running mods from the ArmA console commands.
10. Playwithsix

I'm working on all of these things right now and taking copious notes. We all know that ArmA is a dastardly beast for creating missions, but I'll document everything I learn here so that when I inevitably forget I will be able to find everything easily.

I plan on making video tutorials for all of this eventually, but for now I am preoccupied with running my server. On top of that, I have another ACG project that I'm working on which will take priority over making videos/training docs for ArmA. If you would like to contribute, please post your knowledge here. Specifically, I'd like to include the basic beginner materials so that we can get some people building missions.

Luke

Re: ArmA 3 Mission Editing and Scripting

Post by Luke » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:06 pm

Now I know why I stopped making missions LOL. This one im making is proving to be a real pain in the arse.

Goat

Post by Goat » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:15 pm

Yeah, I spent 53 hours working on the mission that's on the server now... I know how you feel. Hit me up if you want to trade knowledge.

Luke

Post by Luke » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:04 am

Well I have the base for the mission built. But I want some units to have animations and some to be attached to objects. But I can't for the life of me get it to work.

Rowns

Post by Rowns » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:42 pm

Goat

Post by Goat » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:54 pm

Thanks for sharing. This is a cool tool. I'll check it out when I get home to work on Zagrabad.

Luke

Post by Luke » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:38 pm

I fixed my problem. Im such an idiot I named the units for example guard3_1 and the fucking waypoints were to be activated by guard3. Goddammint lol. How can I be so blind. The mission as in the base and alive stuff is done but the coding for it is up next. Does anyone know how to add the slow moving intro's and music yet?.

Goat

Post by Goat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:49 pm

I know how to do music on a map trigger. I'll show you when I get home. You need the music in a specific format and it's called by a script in the init.sqf... It's luckily only like 1 or 2 lines

Luke

Post by Luke » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:19 pm

Now Im having trouble with the intro. I have everything I need such as the camera positions and fade in fade out and text and the files are being called in the init.sqf. But when I start the mission nothing happens and it just goes straight to the player. Its late and maybe my brain is just being a shit dick and not working.

Goat

Post by Goat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:30 pm

For the music, add a folder inside the mission folder and name it "Music". Put the music file in there and remember the name, but save it as a file type .ogg. You'll be able to convert any audio file to an .ogg file using Audacity or Adobe Audition. Add this code to your description.ext file

Code: Select all

class cfgSounds
{
	sounds[] = {};

class sound1
	{
		name = "sound_1";
		sound[] = {\music\track3.ogg, db-10, 1.0};
		titles[] = {};

};

};
The part in the code under name should be attached to a trigger in your mission. The sound[] should have the file name of the music file .ogg in your music folder. The db will control the volume. You'll need to create a separate sub class for each sound if you have multiple sounds in your mission.