Spitfire IX 1/72 finished page 4

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Smokejumper

Re: WIP Spitfire IX 1/72

Post by Smokejumper » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:28 pm

Holy shit dude. Nice bloody work.

Miki

Post by Miki » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Faster than Ed !

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:15 pm

Looks Great. I'm not sure what paint you use but wanted to pass on my experience with Mr Levelling Thinner with Tamiya paint. I just got some and have to say the results through an airbrush are really fantastic. I think it has retarder or some other magical ingredient in it. If you use Tamiya paint through an airbush you ought to give it a try.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:29 pm

If you use Tamiya paint through an airbush you ought to give it a try.
I use alcohol as thinner, but if it works great with Mr Hobby colors Tamya's are less fine with it.

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:33 am

Levelling Thinner is a way to go, really! Stinks to high heavens, but goes perfectly with both celulose and acrylic based Mr Hobby paints and with Tamiya acrylics as well. Gives that nice smooth satin finish once the paint is dry. Love it!
Usually I use 4 parts of LT and 1 part of paint- great mix to spray on low pressure, making it possible to paint very precise and thin lines.
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:40 pm

Duxford is over, it's time to go back to work
Masking the canopy and the cockpit carefully, thanks to the Eduard masks included in the kit.
Adding the last PE pieces
And spray the interior green on the cockpit, it has to be visible after the camo colours coats.
Then start the first steps of the most exciting part of the build: the camo painting and weathering. But it start slowly with the basecoat..
And the preshading.

To be continued...

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Back to the supermarine workshop

Painted and masked the undersides

Re-done the preshading wich were erased by the underside medium grey

And painted the ocean grey, the poor october light prevent the picture to show all the shades of the grey. It has to be verry subtle because of the scale but there are three tones of grey plus the preshading

To be continued...

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:16 am

Watching your progress. I've just started playing with the pre-shading and black basing. Not sure how to make it work on two tone camo.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:30 am

Not sure how to make it work on two tone camo.
For preshading, after 1st color has been masked, I do it again before spraying the 2nd one. I'm also curious about black basing, but I think it's more suitable for big scale 1/32 or 1/24.

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:26 am

Preshading and masking depends on scale. In 1:48 you can go free hand as the camo on WW2 planes rarely was crisp and sharp edged. The alternative is to use a lifted masks made from rolls of blue tack and pieces of masking tape or paper. The effect would be soft or semi soft edged camo, very appropriate for scales bigger than 1:72. In 1:72, however, you would need to use masking tape cut into proper shape and applied directly on model.
My way is to basecoat the model with Gunge C8 silver and then give it a fee persuading lines with colors two tones darker than the color of camo that will go on top. Of course that doubles the workload as you need to plan which color goes where on the surface and use different colors for preparing but the effect is very much worth it. After that a coat of varnish is applied and from now on I can do as much masking as I want without fear of ruining the work previously done.
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6