The Ju88 A-4 on BoX a beginners guide

Mother Russia invaded by ACG!

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Thaine

Re: The Ju88 A-4 on BoX a beginners guide

Post by Thaine » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:24 am

We should team up and have a sortie together.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:40 am

Sounds good,just give me a few days to master the 111 and I'll be up for one,maybe we could try out Goat's ACG server,I had a go yesterday and really enjoyed it.

Vonhye

Post by Vonhye » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Bombers in BoX are great! But two things bug me:

1) If you jump to your friend's plane, you can't switch gunner positions.

2) Pilot controls the bomb sight and nobody else can. The most fun I had in bombers was in Clod with Woeki as a pilot of Br-20 and me as the bombardier. It is much more immersive when you shout out orders for your pilot that he has to do a few degrees left and right, while he is trying to get the aircraft stable with flak bursting around and Spitfires diving on you from the high '6. In Clod, you work as a real bomb crew, with both players having acces to inmstruments and controls. In BoX, you are just passenger. :/

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:08 pm

Meaker wrote:Sounds good,just give me a few days to master the 111 and I'll be up for one,maybe we could try out Goat's ACG server,I had a go yesterday and really enjoyed it.
Are you up for a flight tonight? Either 88 or 111.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Thaine wrote:
Meaker wrote:Sounds good,just give me a few days to master the 111 and I'll be up for one,maybe we could try out Goat's ACG server,I had a go yesterday and really enjoyed it.
Are you up for a flight tonight? Either 88 or 111.
Sorry,will be out tonight,but I'd certainly be up for some bombing on another night,I'll PM you.

Frederf

Post by Frederf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:42 am

Last edited by Frederf on Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks for that excellent heads up Frederf I will definitely read through,and digest it all :) ,myself and Thaine are planning a sortie over the next few days,so if you want to join us feel free.
Last edited by Meaker on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kai Lae

Post by Kai Lae » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:08 pm

The 2 important keys are to understand to set the view mode directional offset with the correct wind correction, which is done by making it the same as the manual mode offset. The second is correcting for the height of the target. The aircraft defaults to altitude set to barometric pressure, effectively sea level. Actual target height is probably several hundred meters higher, which will make your bombs fall short. You can compensate for this by selecting the altimeter to display closest airfield height which on most maps should be about the same. My flu addled mind right now is not sure which key is default for that, but I believe it is alt-a.

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that setting the altimeter to display the closest airfield height will only display in the cockpit. The bombsight altimeter will continue to display barometric pressure. This means use the altimeter in the cockpit for your height, not the bombsight altimeter.

Ok there’s a 3rd tip, and that’s to start using http://il2missionplanner.com on every sortie. By doing so you can generally set up the bombsight mostly correctly on the ground, so that you only need to make minor corrections when you acquire the target. This makes things of course way easier because you want to limit the amount of things you need to do on the final run for the greatest chance of success. http://il2missionplanner.com also makes navigation to targets way easier.

Kai Lae

Post by Kai Lae » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Vonhye wrote:Bombers in BoX are great! But two things bug me:

1) If you jump to your friend's plane, you can't switch gunner positions.

2) Pilot controls the bomb sight and nobody else can. The most fun I had in bombers was in Clod with Woeki as a pilot of Br-20 and me as the bombardier. It is much more immersive when you shout out orders for your pilot that he has to do a few degrees left and right, while he is trying to get the aircraft stable with flak bursting around and Spitfires diving on you from the high '6. In Clod, you work as a real bomb crew, with both players having acces to inmstruments and controls. In BoX, you are just passenger. :/

Both of these have been requested and devs have specifically said they’d like to have the bombsight be operated by a player, but as a “would be nice feature”. In other words, probably not soon.

Gunner you can kinda hack by leaving the plane and rejoining at the desired gun.