[X-Plane]

Flight Simulator X, Prepare3D, X-Plane,...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Dave

Re: [X-Plane]

Post by Dave » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:27 pm

I normally fly on IVAO/PE for my traffic, but holy crap that looks pretty cool. Definitely going to give it a go next time I do some offline flying. If the ATC is any good it could be very interesting indeed for times and parts of the world that don't have any proper online coverage.

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:52 am

Dave wrote:indeed for times and parts of the world that don't have any proper online coverage.
And by looking at your videos it seems to be always when you're online :lol:
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Miki

Post by Miki » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:54 pm

Still on X-Plane, understanding how to setup it, to get a good ratio between beauty and FPS.

Toulouse :

Arriving at Dublin :

Back to EGLL :

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:55 pm

So beautiful! May need to pick up xplane
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Miki

Post by Miki » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:09 pm

I've been using FSX before.
I'm must say that I'm very happy with X-Plane.
X-Plane runs smother and is much more stable.
I'm quite amazed by the number of plugins you can find on the web.

On the other hand, weather rendering is a big negative point compared to FSX or FSX + weather engine, I would say.

Knowing the two, if I'll have to choose, I'll go for X-Plane.

On my screen, I'm using some satellite picture (Zoom level 16, not enough for low level flying, but good for IFR) + OSM data. OSM stands for Open Street Map. It's an open source tool, in which you can depict position of buildings. So no autogen here. Result is good, even if I'll have to downgrade my setup a bit.

One thing to take into account : X-Plane nor FSX can be used directly from the box (Yes you can, but it will be like playing CoD without TF patches...); I mean that you will have to buy some add-on to raise the level of simulation. At least, aircraft. One the other hand, sat pictures and OSM are free...

I've uninstalled FSX. I'll be back on P3D (FSX improved by Lockheed) when the FSXLabs A320 will be out...

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:31 pm

I've heard a lot about P3D and I may look into it. I have the base Steam version of FSX. What would you advise I do to get started Miki?

(Wasn't there a mod where you could transport cargo and build your way up for FSX?)

Miki

Post by Miki » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Geordie wrote:I've heard a lot about P3D and I may look into it. I have the base Steam version of FSX. What would you advise I do to get started Miki?

(Wasn't there a mod where you could transport cargo and build your way up for FSX?)

Where to start ? Big question.

What are looking for : small flights in small aircraft ? long flight in big aircraft ? Basically, VFR or IFR ? Do you want to go deep into learning some system ?
I've used those sim for liners. For IFR and liners, you've got the master (but expensive) PMDG, with the 737, Majestic with the Q400, to speak about them only <= those are for hardcore simer. Aerosoft has made a nice Airbus as well. For airport, you've got plenty of freeware airports, or you can go for payware, Aerosoft, FSD, Fly Tampa, are some of the best.

For VFR, you can look for ORBX. Carenado make some good light aircraft.

About your Cargo add-on, I don't it so I can't help.

For X-Plane, I'm using only liner. So I went to JARDESIGN and bought A320 and A330.

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm looking at more IFR. I'd like to learn more about the workings of larger aircraft, using the instrumentation etc.

To be honest however. I should really learn how to fly in BMS first before I pick up another project.

Miki

Post by Miki » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:34 pm

To be very honest... I agree ! :)

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:38 pm

Have to get a time sorted when i'm free to get one of you BMS guys to give me a hand :P