First (unsuccessful) attempt at BMS

Fast jets, and even more Brylcreem than the Spitfire boys...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Bonkin

First (unsuccessful) attempt at BMS

Post by Bonkin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:50 am

So after about an hour of patient tutelage by Miki and Secu I had my engine running and was ready for taxi. Unfortunately the ability to engage nose wheel steering seemed to elude me and after being berated by the female air traffic controller for blocking the runway, the only option left available to us in the remaining minutes we had was to jump straight in to an instant action airborne scenario.

What follows is my rather unsuccessful attempt at flying an F-16.

Must say, very impressed by how comprehensive it all is. You could spend a long long time trying to learn it all.

Dave

Re: First (unsuccessful) attempt at BMS

Post by Dave » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:31 am

I've really got to have a go at this... I've done DCS, Cliffs, FSX, P3D, X-Plane, Rise of Flight... but Falcon BMS has always confused and scared me a bit lol. Can't be that much more complex than Concorde... right? :?

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:02 am

Heartily recommend watching it with the autogenerated subtitles on. I accidentally clicked the button, had a great tie reading about you trying to pull your education handle with your ass, so had to go back to the beginning to watch with the sound off and subtitles on all the way through :lol:
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:02 pm

Dave wrote:I've really got to have a go at this... I've done DCS, Cliffs, FSX, P3D, X-Plane, Rise of Flight... but Falcon BMS has always confused and scared me a bit lol. Can't be that much more complex than Concorde... right? :?
I haven't flown a huge variety of sims but what impressed me is how (abit like DCS add on modules I suppose) every button and switch seems to function as designed. Even the built-in-test and data transfer was included - plus the clock ticks in real-time for the mission so I'm guessing (haven't got this far yet), that the mission planning/campaign side of things is pretty detailed as well.

I'll post my full tutorial from Miki and Secu in due course so others can have a look. For a fiver off Steam it may be worth it for a multi-player laugh. Only downside is the graphics which are not up to today's expectations.

As for this:
Broadsword wrote:Heartily recommend watching it with the autogenerated subtitles on. I accidentally clicked the button, had a great tie reading about you trying to pull your education handle with your ass, so had to go back to the beginning to watch with the sound off and subtitles on all the way through :lol:
Well I'll be trying that later :)

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:20 pm

For your future test a ramp start trainer :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k68ms5lz2y4a2 ... r.exe?dl=0
It's an old one based on Falcon 4.0, but usefull.
And a doc:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxs6or7beac1z ... 1.pdf?dl=0
More than 200 pages... :o but just take a look, latter you may find it interresting.

Miki

Post by Miki » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:39 pm

As you said, graphics are a bit far of what we can expect now, but remember this game is nearly 20 years old, and BMS team has made an outstanding work. Get airborne, fly inbound some SA-6 mixed with ambushed Mig-29, and I'm sure you'll not bother with the graphics :)

Dave, and other may be, if you are interested in Falcon BMS, it's time to come with us.

What I can suggest is that we try to organize some basic training, to get new pilots to come to BMS.
The Bonks's mission, yesterday, is a perfect example. No need to talk about laser guided munition, data link and so on. What you're looking now is how to start the engine, how the setup the systems, find the nose wheel steering key (private : one of the most asked question), and then take-off, do some loops and crash :)

After that, next step will be to learn one or two weapon systems, to be able to fly some missions, with opposition, to discover the amazing level of BMS, and to enjoy the sim. As you'll enjoy the sim, then you'll start to look more precisely how is working this system or the other, use it in the next mission, enjoyed, and so on...

Biggest mistake, I think, would be to try to learn everything and then fly. It would be boring.

So, if you want to try BMS, tell it, and see what we can do.

Redeye

Post by Redeye » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:34 am

I play a lot of DCS and BMS, and BMS is still the king in many, many ways that DCS does not even come close. Indeed, some of my most gratifying moments in simming come from thos platform. Considering that ACG has a healthy chunk of active players and therefore a lot of chaps to both train and fight with, there is no need to hesitate- get on it:)

Steph

Post by Steph » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:04 pm

I tried BMS under Miki and Secu's supervision and fared somewhat good (using French eased the process a lot, I must admit...), I even managed to release a Fox3 to a MiG-29 only to be blasted to pieces by his AA-10A...

But there will be a long time before I can master all the different systems of the Falcon...

And adding to my demise, I can only rely on my Sidewinder FF2, which is at its best for CloD but a tad bit limited for BMS... :mrgreen:

Anyway, ACG is the best place (imho) to learn to fly (BMS or other sim) with a good bunch of helping hands and patients (very very patients) teachers!

To be continued... with all of you guys! :lux:

Redeye

Post by Redeye » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:02 pm

Very good Steph! Keep it up:)

Steph

Post by Steph » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:19 pm

Thanks Redeye!

To be honest, transitioning from Hurricane to F-16 Block 52 isn't as easy as Iron Eagle made it look... ;)