Next builds

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Next builds

Post by Tex » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:20 pm

Ok, clues to those who don't know who the next ACG builds I'm making are for. That is right, I have finished work on the I-16s and the last batch of Hurricanes. Time now for something different. The recipients already know who they are, see if you can guess.
First, another Hurricane will be built for someone whom, according to the internet's wisdom, name means "Who is like God?" in Japanese. The name is apparently a common one for girls there. For 501, this hidden meaning is readily apparent.
The second model represents something of a complete departure for me. (Hint) Normally, I only see this plane from the front when I look over my shoulder. (Another hint) The recipient's name is apparently Scottish for "follower" and is a popular name for boys.

Reveal, and in progress, photos to come.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Spectre

Re: Next builds

Post by Spectre » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 pm

Gonna make a shot in the dark and say "Miki" and possibly "Boyezee"?
"On the edge of destiny, you must test your strength"
- Air Marshal Billy Bishop

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:58 pm

One right, one wrong.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:30 am

Definitely Miki with the girl's name - but I'm stumped by the other one!

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:18 am

Do we have a user called Bandit? (Only seen when you look over your shoulder etc...)

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:10 pm

:lol:

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:17 pm

You got Miki correct. The second answer is - Thaine.
Ok, ok, I know what you are thinking. Doesn't be fly a 109? The answer would be yes, but he apparently once was in 501, or so I am told. Given that I have almost run out of Hurricanes and now made eight of them in a row, it was time for a change. I hope to recognize Thaine's contribution to the ACG group with this build and get a better understanding of how a 109 is put together. The build will take place along side Miki's, so no worries for those that like the Hurricane. Not sure what I will do yet to make these builds different from the others. Pariah's is the still the high water mark for modifications. I'll be using the Tamiya 109 E kit for Thaine, which I think is superior to the Airfix offering and, oddly, was something I could get for less money. So, off we go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:18 pm

Just remember Tex, a few misplaced components in that 109 build might just save some virtual arses at a later date. Just saying ;)

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:32 pm

Big thumbs up from me on this Tex. Both very deserving of your fine talents.

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:22 pm

Long delay due to outside work and switching to O for Ollie. But, as Ollie’s plane is done and readying for shipment, I had a moment to resume work on Thaine’s 109. The challenge here is recreating the side art and unit badge unique to his plane. I downloaded an image of both and thought about using my new mask making skills to paint them. Trouble was that the detail ends up so small it is very hard to cut the masks accurately. I had the same problems making Ollie’s nose art and ultimately made my own decal to achieve it. (Note how I throw out “make my own decal” like it is no big deal. But more on that later.) the issue with the decals I make that I have not solved is that they need a light colored background to show as the print ink is too translucent. Luckily, the work to create the mask -initially a failure - provided me with an easy to make outline I could use to paint the white background accurately. So, the goat is in white for now as I perfect the decal to go over it.
I must admit, the German camo scheme is a fun departure from the RAF I have been painting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Howdy Ya'll!