"The Butty Wagon is here"

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

"The Butty Wagon is here"

Post by Tex » Wed May 08, 2019 6:50 pm

"The Butty Wagon is here."
I remember hearing that for the first time while waiting for 501 to scramble out of Manston. The spoken English being what it is here in Texas and the fact that I had not ever been indoctrinated into British cuisine, I thought they were saying something, well, indecent. But my cultural education was exposing me to new and different ideas. I came to learn of the "butty" and its various forms, i.e. bacon or chip. I'll admit I have yet to have one, have tried Bovril and White Bait though so give me some credit, but I became fascinated by the "Butty Wagon" and had to add one to my collection.
Problem was, no one makes a kit of the vehicle in 1/48.
For those equally unfamiliar with the vehicle, let me digress. The "Butty" wagon, also often referred to as a NAAFI van, was operated to deliver food and drink to servicemen. They were frequently operated by volunteer organizations and came in a variety of shapes and sizes.
I had a surplus Airfix Albion refueler kit in my stash and decided to see if I could convert it into a Butty Wagon. I first did some online research to get ideas about how to make the wagon. I worked out the design in paper and card stock initially to get the proportions eyeball correct. I recently acquired a plotter cutter and spent time learning how to use a simple vector drawing program to input the design. I then cut the structure out using the cutter and have started putting the thing together. Unfortunately, this "build-first, plan-second" method has left me with some fit problems and I've thought of ways to improve the design, but it is finally starting to come together.
Mini-501 (if that is still a thing anymore) will soon have access to sandwiches and coffee.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Re: "The Butty Wagon is here"

Post by Tex » Wed May 08, 2019 6:54 pm

My early efforts stalled because I could not work out how to cut a straight piece of plastic. The plotter cutter and thin styrene sheets helped solve that problem. I failed to design any support structure and things have slowly started to get wonky as the build progressed. That said, I have been enjoying the challenge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Wed May 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Plotter cutting is my newest modelling tool. It has allowed me to make masks for unique squadron codes and cut basic structures used in the van. Still have a lot to learn about the design program and how the cutter works.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Wed May 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Brilliant! Get a brew on.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Wed May 08, 2019 11:06 pm

Crackin' stuff Tex, looking forward to seeing how it turns out :nice:
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Bully

Post by Bully » Thu May 09, 2019 9:35 am

Great stuff Tex!

Woop

Post by Woop » Thu May 09, 2019 10:14 am

Lovely work as usual Tex!!

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Thu May 09, 2019 1:38 pm

Awesome. I'll join the queue for the nosh.

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Thu May 09, 2019 2:50 pm

This is all well and good, and looks fantastic, but when's the pussy wagon coming?

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Thu May 09, 2019 4:18 pm

Bunny, I have spent hours working out how to make that version.
Image Howdy Ya'll!