Eduard FW-190 1/48

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Dubsy
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Staff

Eduard FW-190 1/48

Post by Dubsy » Wed May 19, 2021 3:17 pm

Just finished work on a 190A-5. My first time doing chipping and varnishing, so I'm quite happy with the results. And yes this is marked as one from last campaign's SG/1!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I am going to have these ships delivered on time and if you fail me your houses will be made a dunghill and your wives liquidated"
- Jackie Fisher, 1914

Dubsy
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Staff

Re: Eduard FW-190 1/48

Post by Dubsy » Wed May 19, 2021 3:18 pm

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I am going to have these ships delivered on time and if you fail me your houses will be made a dunghill and your wives liquidated"
- Jackie Fisher, 1914

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Wed May 19, 2021 6:19 pm

Nice! Glad to see people actually finishing models, unlike me of late. Good work.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Kurse

Post by Kurse » Wed May 19, 2021 8:55 pm

Beautiful work!

Kurse

Post by Kurse » Fri May 21, 2021 2:27 am

Hey Dubsy, I finally have a room to be converted into a workshop so I'm excited to get back into building models but I need to get an airbrush.

Do you have any recommendations?
What do you have currently (and do you like it)?

Dubsy
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Staff

Post by Dubsy » Fri May 21, 2021 10:15 pm

Thanks for the kind words gents!
Kurse, I wish I could be of aid, but to my eternal shame I don't have an airbrush either. My knowledge of those arcane pieces of technology is minimal, so I can't really comment.
- Jackie Fisher, 1914

Seb
Sergeant Pilot
Sergeant Pilot

Post by Seb » Sat May 22, 2021 5:51 pm

Impressive work Dubsey! Great chipping work! :lux:
I'm with Tex tho - never seem to finish. I put it off because I hate doing the wheels!
This is my latest DNF ....
1/72 Yak 1b 127

Tally Ho!

Shadepiece

Post by Shadepiece » Sat May 22, 2021 8:50 pm

That is awesome looking! Beautiful! I love the detail in the cockpit!

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Sat May 22, 2021 10:26 pm

As to the airbrush question, the answer I give is a bit complex. For a starter brush, there are several Grex brand brushes that will do most of what you want. Initially, you will likely want to learn on something that sprays a wide area. The Grex line has several - some with grips built in, some that look more like a pen - that will provide good area coverage. These are great to learn on. Then, you can get some that provide more fine detail. These are used to spray very thin lines and typically cost a bit more and more fiddley to care for and use. There are several models of these available, and I have tried some - Paasche and Badger - over the years. Most perform the same. But my favorite is the SOTAR 20/20. It has the best fine line spray of anything I've used to date.
Also consider getting an inexpensive air compressor. Grex again makes a good basic model. I've found you get best results with a basic pressure gauge and air moisture trap. For me, the best one is a quiet model without the big air tank. I rarely have to spray so much that a large air tank is used up. And, since I work in a small area, the quieter models that shut off automatically when you have enough pressure are more comfortable to work with.
I'd suggest starting small, i.e. with wider area spray before the fine detail - since those are typically cheaper, easy to use and clean and a great way to learn how to use the brush. For example, you can get very poor results trying to spray wide areas with a fine tip brush. Good luck.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Wed May 26, 2021 10:36 am

Verry nice work Dubsy, colors are right and the weathering really good. I'm agree with Tex for an airbrush, and think about a model easy to find in your country, for spare parts if you need.
Airbrushing is another world and quickly rewardable if you follow some basic technics, you have a lot of tutorials on youtube.

Secu