Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk 1/trop

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Dubsy
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Staff

Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk 1/trop

Post by Dubsy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:18 pm

Quite happy with the results on this one. Had a few hitches during construction (among other things, a fan of all things fell onto it, and managed to only damage the aerial with how it landed - close one!), but most of it ended up resolved. Still need to work on my chipping technique a bit. My first time attempting rigging too.
Painted up in the colours of our gallant leader in Number 73.
As an aside, I found the prop span quite freely, and tried some experiments with long shutter speeds to see if I could spin it and withdraw my hand in time to get a blur. Had a few interesting results, even if the quality of the photo wasn't great.
"I am going to have these ships delivered on time and if you fail me your houses will be made a dunghill and your wives liquidated"
- Jackie Fisher, 1914

Blondi
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Re: Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk 1/trop

Post by Blondi » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:22 am

Sucker for an Airfix kit.

Lovely job!

Grunt
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Grunt » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:23 pm

Nice one! I made an Airfix Hurri not to long ago, good kit. Mine just didn't turn out nearly as well.

ArcEye
Leutnant
Leutnant
contributor

Post by ArcEye » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:03 pm

Nice job, I love a Hurri tbh.

My Daughter has requested a Hurri trop painted like Roald dahls after she read Going Solo.

There's hope that one of my kids may like aviation after all

Dubsy
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Staff

Post by Dubsy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:53 pm

Thanks folks!
Yeah Going Solo is very nice, I'm sure it played no small part in my own interest. Do we have much info on how Dahl's aircraft was painted? I recall some photos in the book, but they weren't great.
"I am going to have these ships delivered on time and if you fail me your houses will be made a dunghill and your wives liquidated"
- Jackie Fisher, 1914

ArcEye
Leutnant
Leutnant
contributor

Post by ArcEye » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:16 pm

Lemsip on youtube did some quite good research on the topic for his going solo videos.

Ofc some artistic license was used as will be the case when I get round to model it

Grunt
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Grunt » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:09 am

Hey Dubsy, how did you do the custom stencils? I tried on mine and well... the results are obvious. The serial number and markings were kinda shit.

Dubsy
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Staff

Post by Dubsy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:10 am

I start by drawing and cutting the letters out on tape, then apply this and paint.
This works alright, but there's usually some spill over (would probably be better if I had an airbrush), especially on the smaller serial numbers. The main point is to establish what goes where and get the geometry of the letters right.
Then I touch it up with a fine brush using camo colours to deal with that.
I was a bit unfortunate on the Hurri in that the grey I originally used for the markings turned out a lot darker compared to the camo than I expected, so I had to go over freehand in a lighter colour later, which hurt the final result a bit.
The story for the squadron leader pennant was similar, though I did freehand a bit more, in particular the slightly crude eagle.
Can't say what I do gives perfect results, but I think it works alright and it's not too hard.
- Jackie Fisher, 1914