Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter Mk VI

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Dubsy
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Staff

Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter Mk VI

Post by Dubsy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:26 pm

Big one this time! A kit I picked up at Duxford a month ago for a rather nice £15.
One thing I wanted to test was a different way of doing chipping, in this case doing a full bare metal coat (excluding fabric areas since what's the point), varnish, then painting camo on. Which yes means the whole aircraft was silver at one point. I found it charming enough I was quite tempted to finish it as the prototype Beaufighter instead, but the tail would have been wrong.
Anyway, with the camo paint on I started scratching away with a cocktail stick until it was all chipped up. I quite liked the effect, however it seems like an awful lot of silver paint for the surface area that ends up exposed! (in hindsight testing this on such a large model probably wasn't the smartest idea). The other issue was the middlestone and azure chipped a lot more readily than the dark earth, which was kind of, for want of a better word, 'gummy'.
I also tried painting the pilot for the first time in quite a few years, I was never very good at it in the past, but I think the result was ok enough it's worth some more attempts.
Anyway, now for the end results! With the aid of some tape and paper, I managed to make a somewhat makeshift photo-booth.
"I am going to have these ships delivered on time and if you fail me your houses will be made a dunghill and your wives liquidated"
- Jackie Fisher, 1914

ArcEye
Leutnant
Leutnant
contributor

Re: Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter Mk VI

Post by ArcEye » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:48 pm

Nice work mate.

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:03 pm

Beautifull plane, well done, congrats.

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:20 pm

Nice work. Always wanted to make one of those.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:34 pm

thanks for sharing, that is so cool!
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, RTX3090FE, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V, 2x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 1x 1TB Samsung NVMe, Win 10 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, JetSeat KW-908, Reverb G2, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, EVGA 850P2 PSU, PointCTRL